The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Inn Business by RJFerret (2014/03/03)

RJFerret

Now don't be a sore loser Merry, I'll make sure to send you a signed hard-copy so you can hang it on your wall ;)

Yeah... well... hys!

I'm still really curious as to what all these hidden objectives and "critters" are about. I'm going to have to play back through it again, maybe with some competence this time.

I'm still really curious ..."critters" are about.

I know you are familiar with one of them. The other(s) you interact with less directly, but have some ramifications nonetheless!

"The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out."

- Baron Thomas Babington Macauley

Heh, whoops, I totally forgot I had left it running minimized in the background from that test earlier, only to stumble across it happily still playing on it's own however many hours later. *snickers

"The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out."

I'm two-thirds in, although I cannot for the life of me find the last 5 or so credits of loot on Day 2 (although I've just seen a comment above which may explain that). It's great fun and very different, but I'm a little disconcerted by finding two room occupants hanging horizontally in mid-air - one so high that I walked under him, thinking the room empty. He calmy righted himself, descended to the floor and then spotted me.

I assumed one man was beating up the lady in his room, although they seem to have made it up by the time I got in there. It was worth being seen for that laugh!

I'm looking forward to Day 3.

It's great fun and very different, but I'm a little disconcerted by finding two room occupants hanging horizontally in mid-air

Yikes, that is disconcerting! Wonky sleepers it sounds like?

I'm glad you are finding it fun and are looking forward to the rest, thanks!

PS: That second night got a few extra pieces sprinkled around during testing, I hope they jump out at you readily, if not, I'd be glad to suggest some spots to check.

Question about loot objective on the second mission

...right down to health potions. (600+ loot)

Nopes, the loot is secondary, the important part would be those health pots (plural).

(There is a hint where they are stashed in a readable by a morale potion that's out in the open. There is a "why is this frobable" hint in addition. There are also extras so you can stumble across alternates instead of those specific ones.)

Edited by RJFerret

I read the hint

Doh, sorry! Let's see if we can point you in the right directions then...

First part...

Notice anything unusual about the shelves themselves?

Look up, you might need the right angle, but you can see them without moving anything.

If you can't see with all that stuff in the way...

Giveaway:

top right back corner

Second part...it's hard to see...

Check the desk area

Light will help, it's dark, but not hidden at all.

Sorted

The key was aptly named

Regarding the health I am just not very good at manipulation obviously as I had the devil of a time getting the shelves out of the cupboard

Finished but according to the statistics I only found 970 out of 1020 loot but tdm_show_loot said I had all of it - is this a glitch or is it part of the hidden objectives which I didn't find

Nice, kudos! :-)

Like most everything in this mission there are various ways to go about things, I only knew of manipulation before testing, but another went about it entirely another way and didn't manipulate a thing directly, heh.

Looks like you got it all then...

...there's a TDM bug that mission complete totals too high, here are the real amounts per night: 2026/970/202.

Congrats!

Sorry, I learn more from posts than polls! (But vote for egg salad personally.)

So do I, but there's a move afoot to have all released missions provide a standard poll. I had to expand the one I released with WS3 because of this.

Well you see, there was that vote to determine whose was the best loading screen, the winner of which would be used for the FM. by buying votes from people on the forums.

I, for one, am happy with my new Ferrari, and plan to motor about the countryside in it.

Finished it but no hidden objectives found as far as I know. It's a pretty interesting mission with the reuse of the map and some substantial changes between nights/"difficulties." My favorite mission of this type I think is "A Weekend Getaway" for T2 by Jason Otto.

I wasn't able to find any hidden objectives but I think I may "know" one but wasn't able to find all of the things to trigger it.

The generators in day 2 are breakable with the sword but I wasn't able to find one to turn off the upstairs light. Maybe destroying all of them is an objective?

Also on day 3, the "mysterious item" objective...

Wasn't able to find a way to douse both candles to remove the obscuring thing on the mage's chest. Tried lighting both up, then water arrowing using the ceiling. Couldn't really figure this one out. KOing him works, and I can also just drag his sceptre out of it anyway without doing anything.

Regarding the third mission

Is there a method of marking the points of entry as I thought I had found one and it didn't trigger an objective

Drop the scrolls next to the locations. On the ground works. There are three locations, see next spoiler for them...

Vines near horse stables.

Above the generator near horse stables

Sign outside main entrance.

There's also a fourth one which is the snowy corner near main entrance you can mantle up to and get to the rooftop that way but it doesn't count.

Is there a method of marking the points of entry as I thought I had found one and it didn't trigger an objective

It'll trigger "objective complete" promptly, so you'll know right away. You might have already done it, but if not, nothing special, just have the marker out in hands. The spots viable aren't the obvious one's they would already know about of course.

You'll also see they blocked certain ways in, so obviously knew about them, so it would be other spots, like ways to climb in that they don't go themselves but a thief would, although there is one way in they do use--it's just redundant to another way up. There are also nearly twice as many spots as you need.

If you are really can't figure out thief-like spots...

It's of course possible to simply run around nearby with the marker out in hands, and let the game tell you when you are at a valid spot.

There is one spot, for technical reasons which might not be as intuitive as the others, that access route has a squeeze spot or choke point which is the target location there (otherwise it would be practically anywhere along it, heh).

Note, if you or anyone happens to drop a marker such that it rolls out of an area or gets moved away afterward, you can simply pick it up and put it back in place. The areas are rather tolerant though.

There's also ... but it doesn't count.

Yes, it counts actually, just need to be further up compared to the others (this is the one I was referring to in my previous post's second spoiler for technical reasons).

Seems like the hidden stuff is still waiting to be discovered!

Hangs head in shame...

No shame, it does kinda' come out of left field. And this brought you over 500 posts in the forum now, so go from "Member" to "Advanced Member"!

Hopefully we didn't give too many details away that might spoil any fun. :-)

Edited by RJFerret

Thanks! LOL, he might just...

...have you believe it was an illusion, or your memory was false?

Gratz on the release RJF, this is great. Clever use of the difficulties system. This mission provides spadeloads of classic thiefy sneaking round complete with having to peep round doors and to close loot boxes after robbing them. Good job on the weather and detailing too--this feels real. Is that smelly horse dung a model?

• Like 1

Thank you! :-) I invested plenty of extra time on those items, so glad you appreciated. (Confesses to being pleased with the flurries moving about.)

It's the horse_dung model (in junk folder), with fly sounds and particles...or see attached for prefab of the combo...

DungFlies.pfb.txt

Edited by RJFerret