The Dark Mod Forums

essential beginner missions?

barkjon

hey guys! i'm pretty new to The Dark Mod. i started playing a few weeks back, having completed Tears of St Lucia and Return To The City and currently playing through In The North. I was wondering what would be some great missions for a beginner to start with to get a good hang of the game?

thanks!

"Beleaguered Fence, The", my fav Sotha mission, has interesting mechanics but is challenging.

You've already done some tough ones, so "Flakebridge Monastery", another fav of mine, won't be too hard.

"Score to Settle, A", by Springheel is pretty straight-forward, not as hard as In the North, nor as long as Flakebridge.

There's another nice one not coming to mind right now...

"The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out."

- Baron Thomas Babington Macauley

Play "No Honor Among Thieves," it's really well done and has three missions in one download. I started with the largest and most well praised missions, and then worked my way onto the less popular and smaller ones, but they all have some kind of charm to them.

For essential beginner, I'd recommend tutorial + blackjack tutorial. Skipping those is asking for problems, once you have a hang of the basic gameplay, it's really all up in the air.

I think my personal favorite is "Requiem." It's extremely lengthy, great story and play mechanics, and also is a very dark/horror style which is some of my favorite type of play.

Others I'd recommend.....even if not for "beginners" so to say.....

WS2-Home Again

WS3-Cleighmoor

Business As Usual

Fiasco at Fauchard St

Penny Dreadful: Grail Of Regrets

Somehwere Above the City

The Builders Roads

The Phrase Book

Lich Queen's Demise

Not an Ordinary Guest is excellent. Kinda-sorta the Lord Bafford's Manor of The Dark Mod, except with three different ways to play it.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

somehow i got Knighton Manor mixed up with Glenham Tower and i played Glenham. phew. might not come back to that for a while.

i played on normal and beat it (along with the optional objective thing of destroying the glowing whatever), but i missed 300 loot and was too lazy to go back downstairs. oh well.

i finished In The North and loved it. thanks for the suggestions, guys!

There's another nice one not coming to mind right now...

As a beginner myself I took the advise of a forumer here and played Knighton Manor. The map is less confusing and more logical than most and the gameplay is fun and varied.

And there it is! ;-) Edit: Wait, no, that wasn't the one I was thinking of, gah.

Not an Ordinary Guest is excellent. Kinda-sorta the Lord Bafford's Manor of The Dark Mod, except with three different ways to play it.

Although quite excellent I agree, I'm not sure I'd recommend this one as a "beginner mission" (thinking more of future searchers of this thread than the OP, who has done some of the hardest already), due to it's fully lit inescapable spots in the city, complex layout, lack of easier/different level settings (they are used for different themes, rather than difficulty), veritable need to access the forums to complete it one of the modes, and non-standard play setup (although now at least one other mission removes difficulty levels, when I started mine, I thought it would be the only one).

My requirements for "beginner mission" is apparent safe spots for the player, preferably multiple ways of obtaining goals, apparent layout (although not restricted to linear, but giving players choices), not likely needing web searching to complete.

Although after having done a half dozen missions or a dozen missions and now being familiar with intricate gameplay, Not an Ordinary Guest is one of the better advanced missions, and having completed In the North, you'd have no problems with it.

somehow i got Knighton Manor mixed up with Glenham Tower and i played Glenham. phew. might not come back to that for a while.

Yikes! Brutal!

I'd say you've rapidly exited the "beginner mission" category now though, heh.

Edited by RJFerret

"The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out."

- Baron Thomas Babington Macauley

i just completed both Knighton's Manor and Thief's Den and really enjoyed them both. Neither were too difficult, and in both I didn't kill any AI and only had a few KOs.

Glenham Tower was insane. Not only did the spooky ambience and the horror element get to me, but that was way above my skill level. whoa. might come back to that later, though.