The Dark Mod Forums

TDM Keeps on Freezing Every Four Seconds (Solved)

Sir Taffsalot

Hi all,

After taking a break from TDM for a while I decided to treat myself and fire up one of the new FMs. Unfortunately TDM keeps on freezing every four seconds. The freeze only lasts two seconds but as this is happening in quick succession it makes playing TDM impossible. It's like watching a slide show and takes ages to get anywhere. I uninstalled TDM last night and re-installed it. Same problem.

• Mobo - Asus P8Z68V
  • Cpu - Core i3-3240 3.50GHz
  • Case – Zalman Z3plus -
  • Gpu - HD 5870
  • Psu - Coolermaster 700w single 12v (55A) rail
  • Ram – Kingston HyperX DDR3-1600 - 2x4GB
  • Hdd – WD green 1TB
  • OS - Win7proX64 OEM full
  • Can anyone help? I'd love to get get back into playing and making TDM FMs. Thanks!

Edited by Sir Taffsalot

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker

You've provided what looks like a fairly complex technical issue without providing any technical information for anyone to use to put towards the solution.

Its always helpful and saves a bunch of back and forth questioning if in your OP you provide full system information, driver revisions, TDM install directories, game settings, and "what has changed system wise" since the last time you successfully ran TDM with no issues.

Its hard to make any suggestions based on, "TDM keeps freezing every four seconds".

I don't mean to be crass but do you honestly expect someone to just know what is occurring on a separate system with so many dependencies involved? Sure, the correct answer is usually the simplest, if TDM was previously working fine, though to expect help without providing any initial help to those trying to help is a bit frustrating.

I was going to offer to help solve this however based on your OP you are looking for someone who just "knows" what's occurring which I don't.

Did you try upgrading or downgrading your video drivers?

Did you close all background applictions and kill all non-essential processes in Task Manager?

Is your disk fragmented (Doom 3 is actually sensitive to this.) ?

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

When you reinstalled, did you completely nuke the old directory to get rid of any previous settings? Always possible for something to carry over and remain an issue if all the files aren't deleted. What about VSync, is that on...either ingame or by default in the control panel for your card? Card drivers have been known to do some funny things. I'm just not sure where to start with this. Bikerdude is usually quite good at thinking around this stuff.

Firefox was having a lot of freezes also so I un_installed and re-installed it. Once Firefox was working I tried TDM as it seemed to start freezing around the same time as Firefox. It would seem somehow an error on Firefox was somewhow effecting TDM. Strange. Thanks for the replies guys.

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker

With Firefox, I find that it often has a lot of memory usage issues...it's also not a 64 bit application. If you would like to try a better version of Firefox, try Palemoon. They have optimized it and also provide a 64 bit build. I haven't had any performance issues since I switched to it. It's compatible with pretty much all of the add ons too.

Turning off "hardware accleration" in Firefox helped me when I was having issues with Firefox freezing. If you have a browser open while gaming, which I usually do, this also alleviates other related issues.

I don't know if they fixed the hardware acceleration issues in the last update or not. It could be that every time new graphics drivers are released, it breaks FF again until its updated again.

Edited by Lux

Firefox was having a lot of freezes also so I un_installed and re-installed it. Once Firefox was working I tried TDM as it seemed to start freezing around the same time as Firefox. It would seem somehow an error on Firefox was somewhow effecting TDM. Strange. Thanks for the replies guys.

What was the exact error and the fix..? are you sure you didht haver a page open that was using flash, as sometimt that can crash and take the plugin_container with it - this causing system wide freezing sometimes.

Drop me a Pm as I'd like to Teamviewer into the PC and give it the once over.