The Dark Mod Forums

A Steam Punk Action RPG

Tornby

Hi Guys,

i am having a question about game assets and textures. i am planing a new computer game and would like to use some stuff from the dark mod. First of all, this would be a complete FREE game. Wihtout ads, without ingameshop, without early access or other stuff. NO COMMERCE.

I love the dark mod, not playing the missions especially, its the style. I listen hours to the small nocturne theme, its wonderful to dive into this world.

The game i want to develop is a mix of Might and Magic 6 (or Might and Magic X Legacy) and Thief. The scenario is like in thief a city in steam punk style, where 4 peoples have to solve riddles (murderer or theft or smth), fight and explore dungeons.

Ok, i am just a programmer. I am just one man who would develop in his spare time. I have over fifteen years programming experience and developed several projects. I released my own computer game a few years ago. It was developed in c++ and c# and sinks into that swamp of games. At this time social games where cool, now apps are cool. But i am not that kind of gamer. I loved burntime on the amiga, i loved waxworks, i love all these classic games. I do not wan't to give my next project to the app store or app swamp and then pray that somebody will find this game... People found the dark mod because there had a passion in playing stealth games like thief 1+2 (in my case, only 1+2) and not while hanging around and waiting for the next addictive app with trivial gameplay from the appstore. I just want to create an impression of that Thief world, but i think RPG Style round based fights are match perfectly.

My computer game was a simple puzzle game and took 4 years. After release not many magazines reported about it. It was a fail, we didn't make any money with it. I know how hard it is to complete a game and after the first 70% there are the next 70% to complete. Its a challenge for myself but todays there are a lot of tools, like unity which make game developing really simple. Might and Magic X for example was build on unity. I will try it. Maybe i can build some levels in maya inspirated by dark mod levels or smth. I am not a designer at all. So i am asking again, is it possible to use some textures, maybe objects, or animations to implement in my game?

Thanks for reading!

Tornby

Edited by Tornby

Hi Tornby. All assets belonging to TDM -- which includes the ones you mention -- are licensed under the cc-by-nc-sa so yes you can re-use them, subject to the conditions of that licence. More details in license.txt in your darkmod folder. As always, do check the licence conditions carefully. Good luck with your project!

That game you're making Tornby sounds pretty interesting, do you have a website setup for it yet or anything? I would love to know more

For the record, you can also use the Dark Mod engine itself as a base for a branch game, since it's GPL & the source is open. Just releasing your source too & keeping the license are the only real requirements.

Good luck with your project!

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

@demagogue

Great Idea! I will use the Dark Mod engine self. B)

@Goldwell

No im currently having nothing at all. I started with the project yesterday. At the moment i am writing a game design document. I successfully got the engine run and try some tests to explore the functionality (How to use gui, loading missions and so on) and unterstand how to make modifications.

It will take a while, but i will you update guys if i have stuff to show. ^_^

• Like 1

If you build off the TDM sourcecode, the first thing you need to do is download the source and get it to compile with the compilation guide and playable with the asset base in a local branch, both of which you get from here. Then you start modifying things and making sure you can always compile & play the new versions.

Some of us have worked with the code for a long time, so if you have questions you can ask here and get some help. You might not get as much help as from the Unity community for their engine, since they are such a huge community, but TDM may have a lot of what you want already in place, so you have less work to do too.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

• 2 months later...

Hi Guys,

thanks for supporting me.

I took some decisions:

1. My Idea will not be developed in Doom 3 Engine. I compiled that stuff, viewed some script parts. This is a really big framework with long debugging ways and compiling times. I am aiming on Unity at technical base. Sorry, my decision, but try it out, install it and you will see. Its just like coding in 3D world, without compiling.

2. I cannot get of the small nocturne soundtrack when sunset is rising, and think about this project

3. I would not release this for free. I would not use any of the dark mod resources as i told you, it would be illegal. I thought a lot of time about it. It will be hard, but i hope i can motivate people to help me (and to participate).

4. I have no material yet, just saved a domain now.

5. If you are interested in this project mail me with references at dirk.schreiter@gmail.com

6. I have some base conepts

- Main game play will like Might and Magic X

- Movement is grid based

- There will be several sneak parts

- Designstyle like Thief

- You will solve some kind of quests, like sherlock holmes, analyze things, (sissy mode inlcuded, to keep on the story rollin, sorry for my bad english)

- Low content, Content is one of the high risk in this spare time projects. There will be 1-2 missions high quality! Will be extended if enough user like this game ( / buy this game :D, no extended DLC costs or smth.. Just fair.).

- Interesting Skilltree and Items: Did you play Diablo 1? Did you read the guides for diablo 2? I think skills should have a negative touch. Skillsystem like the game "Game of thrones". You Skill a positive features but you need to skill a negative feature. Some Kind of Fate, and Fate isn't purely positive.

Sorry guys, that this idea has developed to this concept and does not match to Dark Mod. The dark mod is a confirmation for myself that nerds can deliver stuff that rocks, like Enderal Skyrim (pray every night for it) or Nehrim for Oblivion. . . I am a nerd which want to do that 8 hours a day, thats why you pay for.

Cheers

Edited by Tornby

Tornby let me ask you something is modding something you would like to support on your game? If yes then forget Unity, it has no modding support out of the box. To make a Unity moddable you would need to make tools for it yourself and reverse engineer the compiled files (something that the Unity guys would not like), Unity is a very easy engine to work with is true, everything is script based no need to go deep on the engine code, i know because i worked with it, but because is so easy it is also very closed and you are stuck on waiting for updates from the engine developers if you find some bug on their end.

On the other end idtech 4 is totally open, you can do with it what the hell you want, no need to wait for updates, if the engine has a bug you can fix it your self, you can implement extra effects without needing to wait for the engine developers as well and modding support is a breeze. You want to sell your game that is understandable and the idtech 4 engine let you do that because of the GPL licence you can sell your game without needing to pay id any dime, you just need to release to the public for free any change you do to the engine source code, but all your game content including game script code don't need to be released for free.

If your game was free then using the TDM base would take from you months of work and speed the process considerably, making your game more a reality, but that is something that you need to think about.

Oh and good luck with your game.

Edited by HMart