The Dark Mod Forums

Sound-related crashes?

Springheel

Playtesters are noting a number of crashes in my beta mission, many related to a specific conversation. Apparently Moonbo's testers are noticing something similar with one of his conversations. The crash does not happen if the player is in notarget mode.

Araneidae got a log of her crash, and I noticed a LOT of lines like this:

idAudioHardwareALSA::Write: 45 frames overflowed and dropped

idAudioHardwareALSA::Write: 105 frames overflowed and dropped

idAudioHardwareALSA::Write: 96 frames overflowed and dropped

idAudioHardwareALSA::Write: 56 frames overflowed and dropped

and

idAudioHardwareALSA::Write: 437 frames overflowed and dropped

snd_pcm_writei 4096 frames failed: Broken pipe

I can't remember ever noticing that message before. Is it normal?

ALSA appears to be on Linux,

Oh, maybe that's why I haven't seen them.

Turns out the crash may not be sound related after all. Araneidae caught this :

WARNING: Objective System: GetComponentState: Component num -1994382267 out of bounds for objective 14.

signal caught: Segmentation fault

si_code 1

Trying to exit gracefully..

It looks like there's a window where the objective targets an entity that has been removed, which might be causing the crash.

Hey,

Just some background on the crash in my mission. It happens when an event is triggered which swaps out one inventory item for the other; I think it might have to do with how I wrote the script which triggers the event (though I have no clue why going into notarget would stop this crash from happening). The script ran on a while loop, so possibly the crash is similar to yours (objectives usually work on while loops); maybe in both cases the game is trying to look for an entity that's not there anymore.

I uploaded a new version of the beta with the scripts re-written to be much more straightforward (no while loops, just an if statement that offloads a lot of the work to a set of entities in the map). I haven't heard back from testers with this version but hopefully that solves it.

Edited by Moonbo

But you should walk having internal dignity. Be a wonderful person who can dance pleasantly to the rhythm of the universe.

-Sun Myung Moon

My work blog: gfleisher.blogspot.com

The title of this post is misleading, as mine isn't sound-related either, as it turns out. For some reason, alerting either of two AI while they're in the first section of the map crashes it instantly.