The Dark Mod Forums

Sound Reverb Master List Beta

Deadlove

SOUND REVERB MASTER LIST V1.3 BETA

*Help me test the reverb on sounds

*download .pk4 and place in "darkmod" directory (make back up of original first in case you want to switch back)

*please report back with your impressions, or if you notice something that is wrong

*currently, only the vocal sets are done, more pk4's in the future

Download entire package: New Link Coming Soon

===========================================

Individual PK4's

1) tdm_sound_vocals01

LINK: http://www.mediafire...nd_vocals01.pk4

player

2) tdm_sound_vocals02

LINK: http://www.mediafire...nd_vocals02.pk4

builders\builder1\conversations

builders\builder2

builders\builder2\conversations

builders\builder3

builders\builder4

3) tdm_sound_vocals03

LINK: http://www.mediafire...nd_vocals03.pk4

lord

pro

4) tdm_sound_vocals04

LINK: http://www.mediafire...nd_vocals04.pk4

animal\raven

commander

cynic

drunk

generic

grumbler

monster\spider

simpleton

thug

5) tdm_sound_vocals05

LINK: http://www.mediafire...nd_vocals05.pk4

animal\horse

monster\werebeast

undead\revenant

undead\\zombie

undead\\zombie\aistates - ***are these even in the game anymore?***

6) tdm_sound_vocals06

LINK: http://www.mediafire...nd_vocals06.pk4

critic

jack

7) tdm_sound_vocals07

LINK: http://www.mediafire...nd_vocals07.pk4

lady

lady02

wench

===============================================

NOTES:

-drowning sounds will be revisited to add more underwater effect

-Generic sounds will be revisited as IMO some do not need reverb

-most vocal sets are now around same volume in comparison to v1.0

*I'm concerned the sounds may be a bit loud, looking for other's opinions

*Zombies have new custom sounds v1,2

This is a release now ready for download. Please enjoy.

I still don't feel 100% about the sounds, so more work will be done eventually.

Edited by Deadlove
  • Like 2

Has anyone from the team tried these out? They're very subtle (too subtle in my mind) but do add a much nicer production to the sounds IMHO - and I don't mean that in the 'cooool, let's add HDR and Bloom' way.

A good map to maybe try this on is the startmap pack, though AI is very close together - http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Startpack_Mappers%27_Guide

Deadlove - could you upload all pk4's in a single zip to make downloading easier with the next update?

I haven't had time to listen to any since the first batch...once my mission is finished and 2.02 is out, I'll have a little more time.

https://www.wetransfer.com/downloads/253e5cd91166ff4ebcbea37800787ca520140413003641/fd6e0c

link to all pk4's in one zip. not sure how long it will be active

Pretty neat.

• Like 1

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sounds like the Sound Blaster Crystal Voice "Alien Infitrator" effect was applied to it. The effect seems a tad strong for my liking.

Is the 'snorting' sound in the default audio?

Yes, all the sounds are from thesaource audio, just slight compression/reverb is added to give tad bit atmosphere over dry voices.

Sorry for coming late to the party, but I have to ask: shouldn't the reverb be added by the EAX (or EAL?) system at runtime, so it can vary with every room/location, instead of being added to the sounds themselves? For EAX, would we not want the sounds to be "pure" as possible?

Or is this a temp. solution until EA[XL] work?

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

This is both a temporary solution for those who want reverb now, as well as a permanent solution because even Thief sounds had a certain amount of reverb built into the base sounds before any EAX was effecting the way that it sounded.

Anyone who wants to use it can, anyone who doesn't want to can ignore it. Personally it does something for my experience playing, and it's nice to see some others benefit as well. On the flipside, there are other players that expressed no interest in any added reverb / didn't care / would wait for EAX. There is another thread in the forum about it.

What we really need to is to be able to dump EAX and use OpenAL for our environmental audio, Serpentine was working on this, but he hasen't been around for a very long time now.

is his work available, at least in part? If he is no longer around, then maybe somebody else can merge it - this would make it work on Linux, too.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Getting OpenAL implemented will be a dream come true! I hope that someone does somehow either salvage Serpentine's work or can manage the task from scratch.

I read on the DOOM BFG edition thread that that version of the game had something in the code which made it easier to take out the part for OpenAL to get it to work in things like TDM, but I'm not as computer savvy as what is necessary to understand and do those things so I might not be 100% accurate.

• 4 weeks later...

Version 1.3 now available.

What's new in 1.3 if I may ask?

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

badge?user=andarson

The last Builder that didn't have reverb now has reverb. :-) All character voices have verb save the Moors, which I've yet to see used in a map nor have I had time to check the PK4's to see if they are included from the last TDM update.

• Like 2

The last Builder that didn't have reverb now has reverb. :-) All character voices have verb save the Moors, which I've yet to see used in a map nor have I had time to check the PK4's to see if they are included from the last TDM update.

When do you think we could see your awesome feature in the game?

I'm very much looking forward to this!

badge?user=andarson