The Dark Mod Forums

Okay, so what is this?

Jito463

I finally got around to launching TDM after downloading the standalone version. I ran it, adjusted the settings to my setup, and then closed it. Now I've got this translucent icon in the lower right-hand corner of my desktop and it will not go away. TDM is not running in Task Manager, I've tried launching and closing TDM, nothing will make it go away. I could reboot, but I have things to finish up before I can do that, so I thought I'd ask first if anyone know what is going on here? This is in Win7 SP1, for what it's worth.

post-33400-0-10446200-1397384049.png

Edited by Jito463

I take it the floating logo doesn't respond to clicks either? I have the same windows version but I've never seen anything like that problem. You could try just rebooting the windows UI without closing your apps, by killing explorer.exe in task manager under processes, then restarting it (File > Run > and type explorer in task manager, or Windows key+R if you accidentally closed task manager).

Look Ma, Uh'm on teevee! Is that icon present all the time, or just in the browser?

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

That's a windows bug. The solution is simple though

Go into Control Panel then Performance Information and Tools then click on "Adjust visual effects" on the left and in the Visual Effects tab untick the box that reads "Fade out menu items after clicking" click apply and ok and you shouldn't have that problem anymore :)

For the record, logging of and back on (after I finally wrapped up what I was doing) fixed the problem. If it comes back again, I'll test some of your suggestions. Thanks anyway. :)

Look Ma, Uh'm on teevee! Is that icon present all the time, or just in the browser?

I overlooked your post earlier. It was actually on top of all windows, not just the browser. I just had that up when I took the screenshot. It was rather odd, which is why I posted, but at least it's resolved now.

Edited by Jito463
  • Like 2

From time to time you'll get visual remnants from the installer or from an application doing odd things and they'll leave things like this that seemingly get orphaned on the desktop. Right click the desktop > Refresh sHOULd fix them but it generally doesn't and a relog or reboot or as SteveL mentioned, killing the explorer process and restarting it, nearly always removes the graphical artifacts.

It is the exact appearance and dimensions of the game's icon though, and that's not used anywhere in the game. I'm fairly sure it was dragged just before the game came up, which caused it to get stuck there.

Edited by Airship Ballet