The Dark Mod Forums

TDM hanging - probably an issue with my system

esme

Hi all, I wonder if anyone can help, I've looked through the faq and various threads on forum and not found anything that helps

I've loaded TDM V2 from the Atomic Gamer zip file, ran tdm_update and TDM seemed to run flawlessly.

I worked through the training missions, and Tears of St Lucia without any problems beyond getting used to the controls and making daft errors.

Then I loaded up Lords & Legacy, I have to say it's a beautiful mission and I am loving it, but I'm getting an odd problem where TDM hangs when I get to certain locations, seems to be when I open doors that I get this problem.

Once I leave the slums there's what I would say is a watch tower with a patrolling guard carrying a torch, inside the tower there's a corridor with doors at both ends, one doesn't frob at all and the other is locked, picking this open causes my system to hang every time I've tried it.

I don't think it's an issue with TDM or Lords & Legacy I think it's my system as initially it was just on one door but then I had this on another door which I managed to open without issue on a previous attempt, if it was TDM or L&L the problem would stay in one place, plus the FM thread would probably have mentioned the problem by now if it were the FM.

My system specs are

- Windows 7 Professional SP1 (64 Bit)

- Intel Core i7-4770 @3.4Ghz

- 8Gb Ram

- Nvidia Quadro K600 (192 cores, 1Gb Frame Buffer)

- Nvidia Graphics Driver 320.09

- Running with 16:9 aspect ratio 1920x1080res, fullscreen, no vsync, antialias off & texture anisotropy at 1x

- TDM is installed in folder 'darkmod'

If anyone can give me a pointer I'd be grateful, if you need any more information ask away.

Edited by esme

I'd say the first thing to do is play through a different mission (or 2); see if you have any issues with those missions. I realize you've already played through the training mission and St. Lucia and I'd say if you get another solid couple under your belt, its more than likely something in Lords & Legacy causing the issue. Lords & Legacy is a great mission and it has some things mapping techniques that most other missions do not use.

If you don't have any issues playing through a couple other missions than we'll have 3 solid playthroughs under your belt and then we can start looking at particular aspects of Lords & Legacy that might be causing the crash. It would be nice to rule out the system as a problem.

There is a newer build with better performance in the L&L thread so I would try that first. I'm not sure the latest version has been updated to the mirrors.

Make sure your Darkmod install directory is named "darkmod" unless you've updated to 2.01.

Edited by nbohr1more

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Thanks guys, I'll see if there's an updated L&L & I'll try some other missions, be a damn shame if I can't get it to go though it's gorgeous

-- edit --

Yup there's an updated version, I've nabbed it and I'm updating my mirror now, I'll let you know if I get issues with it

One thought though is there a quick way of finding the version of a mission pk4 other than renaming it as a zip and looking for the readme ?

Edited by esme

OK updated the pk4 and started again, not had an issue yet, found a missing door with what I would call the skybox visible through the gap if it were dromed, not sure what it's called with darkradiant, but no hanging so far and I'm a lot further through, so I guess it wasn't my rig.

Thanks for the help guys