The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: A Reputation to Uphold, by Springheel

Springheel

40 members have voted

1. 1. Gameplay: Enjoyment. challenge, fun, ect. vs bugs. frustration, boredom, etc.

• Poor
    • Tolerable
    • Good
    • Excellent
    • Near Perfect
  2. 2. Appearance: visual pleasure, lighting, artistic style, deduct bad texturing etc.

• Poor
    • Tolerable
    • Good
    • Excellent
    • Near Perfect
  3. 3. Story & Text: story, texts, briefing, graphic storytelling

• Poor
    • Tolerable
    • Good
    • Excellent
    • Near Perfect

Im quite curious to see what this one achieves. Im happy to see this is not a separate time-space, that it follows and expands on A Score to Settle storyline, which was excellent. I guess I'll HAVE to play this. Thanks for releasing another one

Played through the first setting. Very nicely done. Didn't find enough loot, so I'm happy that the loot objective is optional.

Started the Break-in setting, but it crashed after hitting the Attack key to get started.

I'm playing with the SVN darkmod, and I see where it's crashing. I'll play with 2.01 tomorrow and see what happens. I assume that since you got through beta w/o this problem, it must be something that changed in SVN.

One of the most beautiful and detailed maps I've seen in this game so far. The design and art direction is in the level of excellence. The elements of the environments make the city feels alive, even if the mission is pretty straightforward. Plus with this level of detail I did not encounter any fps drops, which is fantastic. This has definitely set the bar pretty high in terms of architecture and level of detail in a map. I'm loving it everything about it!

Will DL now and give it a go.

Edited by Tr00pertj

Laptop:Metabox P370SM3- Intel Core i7-4800MQ- 2x GTX780M SLI- 16G 1600Mhz- 500G Samsung mSata-1TB Hitachi HDD- 120Hz LG 1080p.Desktops:i75930k-2x GTX980 SLI-16G 2133Mhz-Evo120GSSD-Swift PG278Q1440p Gsync.Spare:AMD A10-7850K-APU-8G 1866Mhz-seagate 4TB-120G ssd. LoL Old:P75-1:1FSB-8M ram 512MB Maxtor HDD-1MB Cirrus Logic video chip-still got the parts somewhere?First PC-Tandy 512K Color computer.

Finished on the first difficulty setting and the AI were all over me.

Got 2012 loot or something and had to reload a fair few times, Knocked out one AI and got a stealth score of like 47 or something. It is close quarters stealth and the limited water arrows that make it hard. Totally enjoyable experience and very detailed. I loved the uneven cobblestone roads they really looked the part.

Question: I dropped Morgans notes in Larkins room but the objective did not trigger successful. Larkins room is obvious as the key is required but I tried dropping all readables on the desk in his room but nothing. Bugged out or something?

Congratulations on an awesome mission Sprinheel. Now to try another difficulty:)

Laptop:Metabox P370SM3- Intel Core i7-4800MQ- 2x GTX780M SLI- 16G 1600Mhz- 500G Samsung mSata-1TB Hitachi HDD- 120Hz LG 1080p.Desktops:i75930k-2x GTX980 SLI-16G 2133Mhz-Evo120GSSD-Swift PG278Q1440p Gsync.Spare:AMD A10-7850K-APU-8G 1866Mhz-seagate 4TB-120G ssd. LoL Old:P75-1:1FSB-8M ram 512MB Maxtor HDD-1MB Cirrus Logic video chip-still got the parts somewhere?First PC-Tandy 512K Color computer.

Woohoo, a new Springheel misson. Can't wait to play it. :)

Congratulations on the release.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Well done ! Thank you , look forward to playing it soon.

Question: I dropped Morgans notes in Larkins room but the objective did not trigger successful. Larkins room is obvious as the key is required but I tried dropping all readables on the desk in his room but nothing.

The key opens Larkin's bedroom...that's where you have to drop the note.

This has definitely set the bar pretty high in terms of architecture and level of detail in a map. I'm loving it everything about it!

Thank-you very much! :)

Totally enjoyable experience and very detailed. I loved the uneven cobblestone roads they really looked the part.

Thanks, and I'm glad you mentioned that. After I was done I kind of thought I overdid it, but it was so much work I didn't want to go back and change them. :)

I assume that since you got through beta w/o this problem, it must be something that changed in SVN.

I hope so... :wacko:

Started the Break-in setting, but it crashed after hitting the Attack key to get started.

I'm playing with the SVN darkmod, and I see where it's crashing. I'll play with 2.01 tomorrow and see what happens. I assume that since you got through beta w/o this problem, it must be something that changed in SVN.

2.01 doesn't exhibit the problem, so I'm off to figure out what's ailing SVN.

Wow. Just finished this on Shadow difficulty and it was really amazing. The city felt so alive. The audio, there was a light ambient music track I'd never heard before that I liked very much. Not sure if it was new or just unused but it was subtle and excellent.

The city is just bubbling with atmosphere, the noises and steam, electricity, shadows, terrain, and the way the guard routes are lined out, all of it is other worldly. REAlly gives the player a sense of place. The rooftops against the night sky really give you the sense that you are in a vast city. I nearly felt at the beginning that I was watching a disney film about a thief the backdrop was so impressive, and you did this in 3mo.?! This makes me feel like my mapping skills are worthless! (shame on you! -lol)

The only places where I caught any issues were 2. Braeden's bedroom, the crown moulding is z-fighting in the corners because of brush overlap (no biggie but something I noticed)

And the sewer. There was only 1 small section that I noticed any issue. I didn't find the sewer till after I left the meeting and cleared out the inn so I came from the Inn which I guess is the sewer exit? In any case after dropping down the ladder in to the first section where there are small areas with water in them I walked further down the tunnel in to the darkness. The nEXT small area with water in it where you drop down is where I saw a few issues. One corner of the water is 'cut off'. As in the water surface goes out toward all walls but there was one corner where it just stopped short and there was a hollow area where water should be.

I'd found the readable that indicated a girl dropped something down the sewer vent so I was looking around for that is why I found this. Also, the slippery slanted sides that come down in to the water. There are pipes on either side and if you jump out and slide down the wall to the pipes, you then are stuck. Needs some player clip. Also right by one of those areas where you can get stuck there was a strip of texture that was extremely stretched. About 3-4" wide and about 3' long (from the players perspective).

The sewers were also, for me, some of the most realistic sewers I've seen in TDM. Catch areas for water if it flooded, pipes with grates to channel water dumping in to the spillways. It actually reminded me of that sewer section at the beginning of Dishonored which though much larger had the same realistic flow of waste water tunnels.

The audio and detailed geometery down there was superb, IMO. Did it match what was above the street? No but above the street was some of the best feeling mapping I've yet played through in TDM.

I'll have to give the other two modes a shot here when I get some time. Absolutely gorgeous FM!

Edited by Lux

I haven't yet finished this, struggling to open the safe (hints welcome), but I wanted to say that this is absolutely fantastic Springheel. I don't give praise lightly but this is hands down my favourite TDM experience so far. I got into Thief through the Assassins demo and, as you may feel, that first Thief experience really is something and can never quite be matched, but this gave it a damn good try and really reminded me of that first experience for several reasons.

The setting, story, audio and especially lighting is wonderful. And it seems that the higher skill levels will really add replay value. The multiple routes of entry also gave an incredible sense of freedom whilst never seemingly overly convoluted. Got to go back and finish this off, and probably replay straight again, but I needed to show my respect straight away.

PS - the uneven roads you really nailed. This is a masterclass in how it should be done

The city is just bubbling with atmosphere, the noises and steam, electricity, shadows, terrain, and the way the guard routes are lined out, all of it is other worldly. REAlly gives the player a sense of place.

Thanks! That's something I really try hard to achieve. :)

you did this in 3mo.?! This makes me feel like my mapping skills are worthless! (shame on you! -lol)

Ha. Remember, I used a LOT of prefabs for the city section, and I used Sotha's modular building technique for the pub, so that helped speed things up.

I don't give praise lightly but this is hands down my favourite TDM experience so far.

Wow, that's high praise. Thanks very much and glad you're enjoying it! :blush:

As for the safe hint:

minor:

Where might Larkin hide an important key if it wasn't on his person?

med:

Search his bedroom.

pretty major:

the key changes position depending on difficulty level. Look under things in his bedroom.

I had the same situation, its related to the mem-leak issue that taaaki is looking into.