Photo

Fan Mission: A Reputation to Uphold, by Springheel

• Please log in to reply
117 replies to this topic

Poll: Fan Mission: A Reputation to Uphold, by Springheel (38 member(s) have cast votes)

Gameplay: Enjoyment. challenge, fun, ect. vs bugs. frustration, boredom, etc.

1. Poor (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Tolerable (0 votes [0.00%])

3. Good (12 votes [31.58%])

Percentage of vote: 31.58%

4. Excellent (17 votes [44.74%])

Percentage of vote: 44.74%

5. Near Perfect (9 votes [23.68%])

Percentage of vote: 23.68%

Appearance: visual pleasure, lighting, artistic style, deduct bad texturing etc.

2. Tolerable (1 votes [2.63%])

Percentage of vote: 2.63%

3. Good (3 votes [7.89%])

Percentage of vote: 7.89%

4. Excellent (17 votes [44.74%])

5. Near Perfect (17 votes [44.74%])

Story & Text: story, texts, briefing, graphic storytelling

2. Tolerable (1 votes [2.63%])

Percentage of vote: 2.63%

3. Good (5 votes [13.16%])

Percentage of vote: 13.16%

4. Excellent (20 votes [52.63%])

Percentage of vote: 52.63%

5. Near Perfect (12 votes [31.58%])

Percentage of vote: 31.58%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#51 Oldjim

Oldjim

Uber tester

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2005 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 01:12 PM

Getting ahead of Larkin and Dawkins
Spoiler

Edited by Oldjim, 21 April 2014 - 02:47 PM.

#52 AluminumHaste

AluminumHaste

Darkmod Contributor

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5748 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 02:01 PM

Added images for the in game mission downloader.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

#53 raymeld

raymeld

• PipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 05:23 AM

Limit your search to

Spoiler
and you should find it.

Whoops!
Spoiler

#54 Springheel

Springheel

Creative Director (retired)

• Admin
  • 36405 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 08:24 AM

Spoiler

I guess it's mainly a challenge for people who want a low stealth score.

#55 RailGun

RailGun

• PipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 10:34 AM

I played it last night and it was a wonderful experience!!, impressive visuals and architecture (the uneven ground in particular), great gameplay, this fm has everything i like about TDM. I especially enjoyed the worldbuilding, i'm a big fan of fms that explore the various criminal groups in Bridgeport and your missions explore that theme very well.

Overall, a must play for thief fans :)

#56 Springheel

Springheel

• Admin
  • 36405 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 10:44 AM

Thanks! :)

There aren't tons of readables in this mission, but I tried to link this mission to a few other things going on in Bridgeport (and Braeden).

#57 Melan

Melan

Contest Winner, Wordsmith

• Campaign Dev
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4386 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 04:07 PM

So far, this mission has had the most "authentic" feeling of all. This does not just mean the dynamic, well-executed playing experience (Assassins is never a bad model to follow) and organic architecture, but all the effort that went into creating a believable crime-ridden slum area. It starts out in a fairly nice setting, but soon, your surroundings begin to suggest you are in dangerous territory, and the challenges are ratcheted up. I've got to say, the colour schemes and lighting were particularly top-notch, especially the scenes in the final area. It felt like a realistic criminal hideout; the associations I got were Hogarth and Doré.

This is a very hard mission to complete without knockouts, and the AI patrols are brutal. There are a few situations which are a bit unfair, since you've got to take your chances stepping out blindly into electrically lit and heavily patrolled passages, but the rest of the mission, and the pleasant viciousness of the opposition compensates for this shortcoming. The clues are helpful, although I ended up just barely 50 gp below the suggested loot limit - but it felt like a good time not to overstay my welcome, and get out of there while it was still possible.

As someone who is also working on a slum-based mission (although a very different one), this one set the bar mighty high, which is always a good thing.
  • AluminumHaste and Taquito like this
Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

#58 lowenz

lowenz

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1530 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 05:22 PM

This is a very hard mission to complete without knockouts

With knockouts is not less hard :P

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

#59 Springheel

Springheel

• Admin
  • 36405 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 06:32 PM

So far, this mission has had the most "authentic" feeling of all.

Coming from a mapper of your caliber that means a great deal. Thank-you. :)

#60 Oldjim

Oldjim

Uber tester

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2005 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 04:25 AM

This is a very hard mission to complete without knockouts

I would agree with that - at least on middle difficulty so, as I really enjoyed the mission (first two levels as the timed one was too easy for me as I cheated a bit) and it will definitely be worth another play through trying for all the loot and no knockouts (note to self - just make sure you buy some noise arrows)

Update - completed with no knockouts
Now that was a truly difficult mission but very enjoyable

Edited by Oldjim, 23 April 2014 - 09:31 AM.

• Springheel likes this

#61 raymeld

raymeld

• PipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 04:30 AM

Just finished on the setting where you have to trail them at the start.Completed but fell short of around 300 loot , no idea where that could be as I even pinched the dicing couples' purse in my efforts to boost the total.Can only say superb and immensely enjoyable ( and replayable.) thank you again.

Edited by raymeld, 24 April 2014 - 04:31 AM.

• Springheel likes this

#62 Springheel

Springheel

• Admin
  • 36405 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 08:07 AM

re: loot
Spoiler

#63 skacky

skacky

• PipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 06:55 PM

Very sweet mission. Played on Break-In, I haven't found all the loot yet. I loved what happened when I robbed the safe. This mission has absolutely excellent street designs, as usual from you, with a city full of life. The basement area felt oddly familiar. :P
I've noticed several errors though, if you ever want to fix them.

Spoiler

Edited by skacky, 04 May 2014 - 06:58 PM.

#64 Springheel

Springheel

• Admin
  • 36405 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 03:22 PM

Glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for the screenshots...it amazes me how thoroughly one can go through their own map and still miss stuff like that. :)

#65 SeriousToni

SeriousToni

Beginner Contest 2012 Winner

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2196 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 05:23 PM

Just played this masterpiece tonight. I had a great time playing this mission while remembering the original Assassins map from Thief. :)

I loved it, how lifelike the city feels and how you designed the ambient light colour that concurs with the flame and fire lights. The dialogues and animations were awesome and added lots of atmosphere to the game. Though it felt like the Inn could have been a bit larger, with more rooms. Maybe an estate or something bigger would have been a better choice. The situation where you get the main loot object was awesome and felt very realistic to me, nice!

All in all one of the best TDM maps. With each map you create, you set the bar higher for the next ones to come. Hopefully it will take not as much time again as in this case - because we all love your maps and simply cannot wait! :)
"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

#66 Springheel

Springheel

• Admin
  • 36405 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 06:37 PM

Very kind, thank-you. :)

#67 Sotha

Sotha

Vertical Contest Winner

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5592 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 02:38 AM

This was a really cool mission, but I had some issues.

Spoiler

I'm not rating this now, because of the bad luck I encountered. I'll cool off for a while and then I'm gonna replay it, and I am sure it is gonna be great!
  • AluminumHaste and DeltaFiveOne like this
Clipper
-The mapper's best friend.

#68 Springheel

Springheel

• Admin
  • 36405 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 07:22 PM

It's a shame you had some glitches. I don't know what could be causing the choppiness...no one else has reported that, and I usually get better framerates inside the hideout than in the streets (unless everyone is actively searching for me).

Spoiler

I haven't tested the other game modes, but they didn't look very interesting. My humble suggestion would be to choose one theme for a single mission and do that well, and not have a meta-game decision on different alternatives.

I think the different gameplay options increase the replay value of the map. Most players don't especially like timed objectives for first play-throughs, for example (for precisely the urgency reason you mentioned), but a timed challenge can be fun once you know the map. And some people have enjoyed the extra challenge of the boosted lightgem, but I wouldn't have wanted to force that on everyone.

#69 Sotha

Sotha

Vertical Contest Winner

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5592 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 02:12 PM

Completed it now. What a treat.

Stealth score 55. Yep, I was fooling around with the AI, especially those two dice players to steal their gold...

No gameplay killing glitches this time around, especially the occasional stutter. Really don't know what was happening, but it seemed to get worse as the mission progressed. A runaway script perhaps? I haven't spotted anything like that in other missions, or testing my WIP.
Clipper

#70 Springheel

Springheel

• Admin
  • 36405 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 02:33 PM

No gameplay killing glitches this time around, especially the occasional stutter. Really don't know what was happening, but it seemed to get worse as the mission progressed. A runaway script perhaps?

The mission doesn't use any custom scripts, so I can't say. When you say "especially", do you mean it also didn't happen this time around?

#71 Sotha

Sotha

Vertical Contest Winner

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5592 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 03:03 PM

The mission doesn't use any custom scripts, so I can't say. When you say "especially", do you mean it also didn't happen this time around?

I got the stutters on my both game sessions: when I first tried the mission and now when I played it.

The mission started okay, performance was good. Then when I got into the ganghouse, to the second floor lobby I noticed some mild stuttering. Once I had taken the jewels and returned upstairs, the stuttering got worse. Opening doors could have 0.5 second lags, for example.

I did save/load a few times... Could TDM leak memory? But I never had this on other missions. Puzzling.

Or maybe the AI following another AI behavior is "leaky" somehow? Anyways, if nobody else got this, maybe it is something on my end.
Clipper

#72 Sir Taffsalot

Sir Taffsalot

• PipPipPip
  • 1549 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 07:47 AM

Awesome FM Springheel. I loved the really gritty look of the city. It was a real pleasure to sneak through. I found gameplay quite challenging but never frustrating so it was very satisfying to complete. Thanks for all your hardwork on this great FM.
  • Springheel likes this
"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker

#73 SteveL

SteveL

Hero Coder

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3669 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 08:45 PM

Finished at last! On about my dozenth attempt. This is a tough but satisfying mission. I managed to fall foul of the time limit several times even on Shadow difficulty, which of course meant my save games were useless too. I eventually completed it in 40 mins with 17 stealth score, although in reality I caused a lot more commotion than that suggests :) I was forced to change playstyle a bit and actually use my tools and blackjack which is refreshing. The city is stunning, with gorgeous detail. Not just the warped streets and interesting buildings, but the floating rubbish in the sewer and the little touches like an apple core under the water were great for atmosphere. I'm going to try another play through now on the no-perfect-shadow setting.

#74 Springheel

Springheel

• Admin
  • 36405 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 09:59 PM

Cool, glad you liked it! :)

I was forced to change playstyle a bit and actually use my tools and blackjack which is refreshing.

Yeah, I was trying to encourage people to use their tools a bit.

#75 SirGen

SirGen

• PipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 12:35 AM

This mission starts out with some well written and well acted dialogue.
Spoiler
The first part of the mission was on the easy side, but it was still quite fun. I really got the feeling that I was sneaking through a run-down, gang-controlled part of town. The activity encountered along the way to the Keska Brotherhood base was entertaining
Spoiler
:laugh: My favorite segment of gameplay during the following portion of the game was
Spoiler
The stairway to the base and the big tree were really cool visuals that enhanced the feel of the mission. I liked that there were a few ways into the base. Options always make a mission more fun. The inside of the base was very challenging for me. i got caught a lot. There weren't a lot of shadows to hide in, and I'm not in the habit of putting lights out very often. This isn't bad design, I just need to be more patient, and learn patrols better, or use more items. The story told by both readables and voice acting was really good.
Spoiler
This was a very fun mission that I will have to play again a few times until I can actually play through the base like a proper thief :P

Thanks for excellent mission Springheel!
  • Springheel likes this

Alberic is my sparring partner.

Whaddya mean, smiley faces aren't punctuation :huh:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users