The Dark Mod Forums

Lost Alpha

lowenz

Hm, no download link?

@Toni, was misery that bad? The only CoP mod I've used was CoP Complete. Misery 2.0 looked great with the arsenal mod added in.

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

I started in a swamp with a few munition and many enemy monsters around me. I walked around for an hour fleeing from monsters that followed me and then quit the game. :mellow:

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

I'm sure it's still the 26th somewhere in the world, maybe it's an 11pm Hawaii time release?

Hm I really don't know what to think about this mod..

I played the official SoC back in the days, but this mod seems to be about changing things back to times when the game wasn't released yet. I looked at the FAQ and it seems that this is more like a SoC with alternative story and textures (and level changes). But why is everyone so eager to play this?? Is this only for people who liked the pre-release screenshots and videos of SoC?? :blink:

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

'Cause this is true to the original STALKER concept :D

And 'cause it's standalone with X-Ray Engine boosted to its limits (DX10 renderer too!)

• Like 1

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

the original concept was an open world like skyrim, and just one map, the AI would wander in herds or on there own around the map or just hang around in a place they liked on the map, the AI was given a set of rules they should follow as to how they were to exist in the game but not a scripted event like AI in most games are. The game would not be linear and there would be random generated events, so that not everyone would play the same game.

And what was released in the end was nothing like this, it depends if the people who have done lost alpha understood this, or have just put the missing maps together in a hub type arrangement. Cos the video doesn't show anything new.

The original map was also much bigger, had drivable vehicles and several more quests (more factions too, I believe?). Tons of screenshots were released as the development progressed and the game got repeatedly pushed back, so many people followed the game closely with very high hopes. The end result was good and unique, but severely cut-down from the original concept.

• Like 1

Hm I wanted to try this out via ModDB download but I get 48kbit/s which means 3 days for one part out of four. This mod seems to be very famous. :laugh:

Funny that I just installed this game roughly one month ago as I wanted to play it again. I'm not a big fan of open world games, but I may try this mod out. Although I think I better wait some days so I get acceptable download rates. :D

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Funny that I just installed this game roughly one month ago as I wanted to play it again. I'm not a big fan of open world games, but I may try this mod out. Although I think I better wait some days so I get acceptable download rates. :D

Lost Alpha is standalone, you don't need SoC!

And if you play SoC: http://www.metacognix.com/stlkrsoc/ (+ various texture packs / shader packs).

Edited by lowenz

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

Now it finally worked for me from Mega after having to download some of the parts three times. Gonna try this one out now - I hope for many scary levels, I'm longing for some sweet fears :wub:

Hmm.. I must say I have mixed feelings after playing the standalone mod for two and a half hours.

I really like the modern graphics and playing with high quality settings really is a pleasure to the eye if you still remember the original graphics of STALKER.

But that's mostly it of what positive things I've seen. The story seems to be the same with little changes (new dialogues and factions) and the bugs are back too. There are minor bugs like random people dying just out of a second or repeating the same sentence over and over again. And major bugs like the game crashing aren't very nice. As soon as you're into the world of STALKER with all the new nice graphics and atmosphere as soon you get kicked out by some annoying bug or the fact that you're out of stamina, food, water and munition - oh and batteries!

So if you can overlook the bugs, you should have already played STALKER as this is a bit harder than the original game. I must say it is not what I've expected after seeing the trailer :(

What do you folks think? :)

I'm still downloading it, but I'm not under any illusions it's going to be perfect. I am tempted to get the Arsenal mod for Call of Pripyat though.