The Dark Mod Forums

Lost Alpha

lowenz

From what I'm being told, other than a weapon model mod, there aren't really any mods for this yet, due to engine changes etc. Given what the Stalker community is like, I wouldn't be surprised if a ton of existing mods are ported over in relatively short order, which would open the field right up for modding it.

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

Yes It has bugs and unfinished features because it is not really finished, the developers decided to release the game after a tester leaked a old version.

About the game, it is a rethinking of the first Stalker using the very old leaked GSC alpha version has a base, so the story was expected to be similar in some respects to the first official game, but this free addon is more than that, this new game has all the features that were cut from the stalker games, some features from all the official games has also totally new gameplay systems like a belt system, a new faction, new enemies, i even found a funny midget zombie,etc.

To the ones running out of bullets quickly, i was also strangely running out of bullets so quickly even tho i add them on my inventory, first i thought the game add bugged but then i realized that i needed to add them manually to my "belt" space to be able to use them.

To me Lost Alpha with some patches will be a fantastic stalker game, i find it impressive that they are able to release it for free and totally standalone.

After nearly finishing Cordon area tasks, I must say it annoys me a bit how all buildings seem to be made for giant people. Old wooden houses with so much 'headroom' looks a bit off for me. Same thing with the smaller tunnels, etc. The factory works, as well as the big tunnel, though I've never understood it's placement or function. It almost feels like 1 guy just made a building and all the rest went with that, without ever placing a character next to one and getting the proportions right. This is something that was spot on in SoC.

Other than that, too soon to say about much else. Seems to work just fine, runs like it always has for me etc. Looks pretty, sounds pretty... will take some days to get more into the zone, but I'm liking it for what I've seen.

Bit buggy, just crashed trying to hand the flash drive to Sidorovich, but wow does it look 10x better than SoC.

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

After nearly finishing Cordon area tasks, I must say it annoys me a bit how all buildings seem to be made for giant people. Old wooden houses with so much 'headroom' looks a bit off for me. Same thing with the smaller tunnels, etc. The factory works, as well as the big tunnel, though I've never understood it's placement or function. It almost feels like 1 guy just made a building and all the rest went with that, without ever placing a character next to one and getting the proportions right. This is something that was spot on in SoC.

Other than that, too soon to say about much else. Seems to work just fine, runs like it always has for me etc. Looks pretty, sounds pretty... will take some days to get more into the zone, but I'm liking it for what I've seen.

You're right.

The tunnel is too big for its placement (no roads in&out, in the middle of nowhere).

Edited by lowenz

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd really want to play Lost Alpha, but even with the most optimized settings, I can't keep the game from crashing. That has made me wonder, is Lost Alpha just old 2005 assets added into the final release of the real game, or is it actually the old alpha version of STALKER made to barely work? And how exactly is it possible to program a game to crash when you alter the terrible default key bindings?

Oh, and apparently the PDA functions will crash the game, especially if you go into the contacts tab, and there happens to be hostile (red) stalkers in your vicinity.

And how exactly is it possible to program a game to crash when you alter the terrible default key bindings?

Did you remap F5 key?

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 years later...