32 replies to this topic

#26 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17944 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 07:26 AM

I will try this out on my old mac pro, ill post back with feedback.

#27 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17944 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 09:42 AM

Tested on my MacPro under OSX 10.9.5 and to begine with it worked as advertised, but I already have PlayOnMac installed along with Freyk's script - so when I ran this new app it updated the older theDarkmod.app.

So now when I launch it an select Darkmod, it nothing happens. Im guessing because it trying to use its own TDM folder which would be empty? if thats the case, what location exactly is it trying to download the files too..? as afetr looking for a while I wasen't able to locate it.

Also how does this launcher help a user's who don't have playOnMac installed? is it an alternative to POM entirely..?

And lastly with regard to the 'Author.txt' file. Its has everyone's email address's (a lot are personal) in there. I am fairly sure said members havent publicly posted those address, so may I request we remove them from that txt file and any other .txt files you have listed them in please.

#28 freyk

freyk

• PipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 02:21 PM

My apologies, I didn't tested the app inside the application folder.
Move this app to your home-folder, run it again, check if the launcher runs, run the updater and then run tdm.
(at the first time it load, it takes some seconds to initialize and run the launcher)
This fix solves the problem on my system.
(Maybe a write permissions error? i going to check this)
From the launcher you need first to start the updater to download the game files.

Every application in your applications folder, is a special folder with execution-permissions.
The gamefiles that the updater downloads will be saved in the tdm folder, inside the ap.
(for now, when using the fix above) in "/home/users/yourusername/thedarkmod.app/drive_c/games/darkmod/".

Wine-skin is a alternative for POM.
POM is an entire suite, that creates wine-containers using scripts.
This new tdm app is a .app-folder containing  only the wine-container (with the tdm updater) and wine-skin files.
The user dont have to download other applications (like POM) anymore, because all needed files are inside this .app-folder.

It is not possible to create an wine-skin app for tdm-updater app, that download its files to the tdm app.
It is also not possible, to get a selection menu, when the user launch the app. (the user has to that mannualy, using the configapp inside this folder)
So i created the tdm launcher, to give the user the choice which application he/she want to run.

I changed the author-file, repackaged the dmg-file and uploaded it.

Edited by freyk, 26 August 2016 - 04:03 PM.

#29 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17944 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 04:44 PM

Ok, so let me see if I understand and please correct me if I am wrong -

- Your new mac auncher app removes the need for PlayOnMac entirely for those users that just want to install TDM with the minimum amount of effort? if So I will test again after removing P.O.M.

My other question is where did the launcher app download its copy of the TDM files too..?

#30 freyk

freyk

• PipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 04:09 AM

Yes, New mac users dont have to install POM (or other applications) to run this new TDM-app.
You can test this by removing POM (and the shortcuts / containers you created with it).
But POM is a easy method for new users to run windows applications.

Yes, for new users this is an easy method to install TDM,
because is the standard method for them to install applications (without using the app store).

The gamefiles that the tdm updater downloads, will be stored inside the tdm-app.
To show this content, command-click (or right-click) on the tdm-app > show contents > in the new window > drive_c > games > darkmod.

Edited by freyk, 10 February 2017 - 05:03 AM.

#31 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17944 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 06:53 AM

Ok will try a get around to testing that over the weekend.

On the subject of PoM, this would have added benefit of allowing users to run Darkradiant and any other x86 app.

And that make me think of something, does PoM support x64 applications..? I ask because Greebo/Orbweever will at some point stop making x86 versions of DR.

#32 nbohr1more

nbohr1more

Darkmod PR, Wordsmith

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7333 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 10:52 AM

Does this installer cover the ia32 library dependency installation? (We have some Linux folks who are struggling with that over at Reddit.)

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.c...ds/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

#33 freyk

freyk

• PipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 12:41 AM

No, the RPM and DEB packages do not install dependencies packages.
(because i do not have the knowledge/experience to choose the needed packages)
Help will be appreciated.

So they have to install the needed packages manually.
Point them to the manual "Howto install tdm on ubuntu linux 64 bit manually", and the posts afther that.

where can i find the reddit post?

Edited by freyk, 10 February 2017 - 08:03 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users