The Dark Mod Forums

Perfect instrument for Dark Mod sound effects

i30817

Fascinating video! I've never seen one of these before. What bizarre sounds this thing makes. I guess we've all heard them before unknowingly but what a peculiar instrument. I was looking at how

one of these and was wondering the tonality you could achieve using brass vs. nickel/silver or bronze. The particular length of each rod would be one of the most critical things. The rest of the device is seemingly just a resonance chamber with a port.

I was thinking what two off-the-shelf cymbals would sound like brazed around the perimeter and of course with the bottom hole patched, brazed, and polished smooth though that would no doubt affect the sound to some extent. I'm sure you could definitely get some very weird and eerie sounds out of it though which might be very interesting for TDM audio. The rod length would be one of the keys as they need to be cut in resonant lengths I would think.

Would be a wild project for sure. These sell on the guys site for ~$1100-1800. Seems like a steal for the amount of time he has invested in each one.

of them.

• 2 months later...

This type of instrument (in some iteration) has been around for many decades, I do not remember where I read it but it has been widely used in early (and later) science fiction and horror movies. One of the most interesting acoustic instruments I have heard for sure.

"My milkshake bringeth all ye gentlefolk to the yard. Verily 'tis better than thine, I would teach thee, but I must levy a fee."

"When Kleiner showed me the sky-line of New York I told him that man is like the coral insect—designed to build vast, beautiful, mineral things for the moon to delight in after he is dead."

https://soundcloud.com/paralytik

• 3 months later...

I guess there is some water inside the hollow chamber and by turning the instrument, you affect the sound as it is made.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax