Halloween Contest?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Halloween Contest?

• YES YES YES
    • YES! Absolutely
    • Are you kidding? Of course, YES
    • (Maybe) ...but probably YES

What do you guys think?

If we started a contest next week, would we have some entries finished before Halloween?

Do we have any interested mappers?

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

I wouldn't call 3-4 months a speed build.

If it does go ahead I can sweeten the deal with a small prize for the winner courtesy of Lux.

{edit} oops, sorry, hit reply to something while reading accidentally. Best of luck with this though!

Edited by Digi

"Fancy burricks are afraid of dogs, if they encounter each other the dog barks and the burricks poop." - Thief: Deadly Shadows Game Designer

Let me try again: Just out of curiosity, what kind of contests have been run historically? By that, I mean, what have the themes been? If there are recurring themes, I could start to brainstorm so that if one comes up, I'll have a better idea of what I want to do. As it is, I'm a bit green behind the ears to be commiting to a contest, but might try to work up to it eventually.

"Fancy burricks are afraid of dogs, if they encounter each other the dog barks and the burricks poop." - Thief: Deadly Shadows Game Designer

Contests are good. I think free themes are better than restricted ones.I am currently working on a mission and cannot start another, and am low on mapping time .

If I can submit my current WIP, which is presently 80% ready, to the contest, I'm in.

If you only accept works that were started for the contest, I'm out.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

I agree with Spring that 3-4 months isn't something I would call speedy. Maybe we could make two contests. A speedbuild contest lasting one month or so with open theme and a Helloween contest?

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Ok, we can remove the speed build part of this. I was thinking it would make the contest more approachable. Entries do not need to be scary or even be set in late autumn but some reference to Halloween would probably be preferred by players given the season where the deadline lies. (Take that last statement with as much NaCl as you prefer, given that it's author truly loves Halloween themes.)

I have an idea for a Halloween mission, and although I could only begin building in September, that's okay with me.

• Like 1

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Sotha

Posted Yesterday, 11:40 PM

Contests are good. I think free themes are better than restricted ones.I am currently working on a mission and cannot start another, and am low on mapping time .

If I can submit my current WIP, which is presently 80% ready, to the contest, I'm in.

If you only accept works that were started for the contest, I'm out.

I agree with Sotha.....

Quando omni flunkus moritati" ("When all else fails, play dead")

Halloween Contest Winner 2014

I have an idea for a small horror/halloween map that I could build probably in 2-4 weeks. I would be up for that!

I'm still working on a couple of medium sized FM's at the moment but I have plenty of spare time so that's no problem :)

Count me in!

• Like 1

Egg Salad?

Mmms...

Yes, definitely Egg Salad!

I'm the opposite, if it's Halloween themed, I might join the party, but if it's open, I'll just continue doing what I was doing anyway and won't aim for this time-frame (as much to have a new release available post-contest as anything else).

In my mind half the purpose of contests is to stimulate new content, not what we are already working on, and artistically get to see different artist's interpretations of a theme. If the "contest" is just "do what you were going to do, and release within these dates regardless", then...?

"The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out."

- Baron Thomas Babington Macauley

Yes! this community needs more speed contests! you're all too perfectionist :laugh:

Pfft, I can build sloppy slow too. ;p

Haha you guys are funny! :laugh:

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

I want to join but I'm a bit depressed because some personal things right now. Will probably be better after a month or two.

Turn whatever you're depressed about into a horror map! People seem to be their most creative at their saddest points and TDM can be therapeutic at times so maybe it even helps you through your dark moment.

And if all else fails just have some wine and cheese ;)

Edited by Goldwell
  • Like 1

As the discussion seems to have tided down by now, I thought I may add something here.

I would really like to create a horror mission, I mean a real horror mission. Not just a Haunted Cathredal like mission. There are a lot of games and movies out there which could serve as inspiration.

However, I don't think we need to bind it to Helloween. Especially as we don't celebrate this in germany ;)

The more limited the timeline, the more certain the outputs imho. It does not make much sense to start a contest for four months or so just so everybody says "yeah, I'm in" but in the end nothing comes out. A limited timeline may be better here, and horror missions are always good, not only on helloween.

Regarding the evaluation: What makes out the thrill is the tense created by the mission author. However, overall it should be an enjoyable mission. And as the TDM is a stealth and not a horror game, the creativity of the mission author in achieving a good gameplay experience should count in either. So my voting options would be

• Thrill: How scary/exciting was the mission
  • Ideas: How many (unconventional) ideas did the author used for his mission
  • Enjoyment: How good was the overall enjoyment

If people can decide whether they wanna join or not, we may could keep the timeline down til the end of July or August.

Any thoughts?

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

The outline I came up with for this is more "Halloween" than "horror", but no matter, they both encompass each other.

Personally I won't build at the pace I did last winter however, so two-three months plus a month for beta testing won't make the end of July, or even August. ;-) We're already halfway through June!

I'd rather enjoy the mapping process, than feel pressured by a deadline (it's already enough work, without feeling like work).

"The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out."

- Baron Thomas Babington Macauley

A horror mission would be nice, i never made one.However, ending the contest at end of july would be a little tight for me, i don't have a lot of free time for mapping so even a small mission would take me a lot of time to build, August is a more realistic date for me at least

• 2 months later...

Looks like this as picked-up with Goldwell and Fieldmedic... and possible Melan and buck28!!!

Too late for a moddb announcement but feel free to post your intention to join this!!!

I think we've come to the conclusion that this will be akin to the last Halloween contest:

Prefabs can be included but must be declared

Halloween season must be referenced somehow, scary missions encouraged but not required

Release by Halloween (October 31st)

I am thinking of entering. Will be using my usual architectural prefabs if I do - mainly building components, windows etc.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved