The Dark Mod Forums

Ever Modded Any Other Games?

Fingernail

I'm just wondering if anyone else has much experience with game engines, either SDKs or just the level editors.

Personally, the first one I dabbled in was Build for Duke3D Engine (by Ken Silverman), great fun and really easy to put together levels, with some simple scripting done by area-effectors etc. You had/got to paint in your own shadows for atmosphere! And they were dynamic in that you could program doors to cast shadows when closed or opened - really great for back then, especially since it was a 2.5D engine unlike Quake (sprite monsters and objects). It was later upgraded to have voxel objects!

Then I tried WorldCraft for a bit, never really liked it much, so didn't make anything with it.

I've never properly owned any Unreal games, and the only times I've dabbled with UnrealEd I've never really got on with it; I tried it in Ut2k3, and couldn't be bothered to make my own static meshes. Which of course, now I'm having to do for the Dark Mod :lol: .

DromEd was probably my next 'addiction', leading me to join the Hammerite Imperium and really try to push it to it's limits with new textures, models, huge levels etc. I'm still sort of part-time with those guys, although I've mostly stopped to work on the Dark Mod! There's something about DromEd that makes you want to see what it's capable of - it's limited and sometimes buggy, but it can make really huge, nice looking levels - and perhaps the thing that I aim for most in DromEd is impressiveness considering the technology - the "wow! THAT'S in Thief 2????" factor.

Then of course, Radiant. Probably my favourite actual system for building levels - it's simple and powerful at the same time, and doesn't crash unless you try to do something like import a model with no surface names... :rolleyes:

I’ve modded for a few the biggest was for Morrowind. I was working on a mod of my own, weighed in at 80mb with models but is still sat unfinished on my hard drive. I didn’t finish it as I joined the children of the night 3 mod team. I built about a hundred interiors, most with new statics, for that mod and it too wont see the light of day now until after oblivion is released. The mod leader who never wrote anything down had to leave so the rest of us couldn’t finish it. Pity as it was really good and I spent more than a month getting those damn horses to run in a chariot race properly. It was supposed to ship at about 600mb but my last archive of the content comes to 900mb compressed, with no sound :lol:

I’ve dabbled in unrealed and the lithtek editor (shudder). The most work I did on an fps was part of a Jedi knight level which looked ok but I was still in the land of csg subtract so I never released it.

Other than that I did a series of mission in Fred for freespace, where you were an nsf spy (I think that’s who it was its been to long). I only finished three of them though and two bug tested. I think they are still on the net somewhere. I’ve only got a copy of the first one buried away on an old floppy somewhere in the jungle of my attic.

I’ve never made a thief level in my life. My elder brother has but DromEd’s UI put me off. But I love playing the games and fan levels I still cant ghost the lost city in thief gold though :(

I've dabbled in quite a few engines. UT2003, the Serious engine, Crytek's Far Cry engine, and other RPG and RTS engines like Infinity (Baldur's Gate) , Aurora (neverwinder nights) TES construction set and making Age of Empire maps - and of course Dromed (I think everyone has an unfinished thief level under their belts, dont they?)

I'm a tinkerer though, I get bored easily and move on to something else. It helps having a team to work with.

Only ones I've done seriosuly are UT ( working on Nightblade), and this.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

I'm a tinkerer though, I get bored easily and move on to something else.

Me too. I've played around with level editors since Doom ][, but never really finished anything (apart from a few AoE and Impossible Creatures maps). It really helps to have a team working on something to do the things you don't have any interest in doing. I just don't understand coding (though it is what my brother and few of my friends do for a living), I've played around with 3D model making, I can draw but I'm out of practice (mostly cartoons rather than realism anyway), but I enjoy building levels and hope to create a FM for the Dark Mod.

I'm a tinkerer though, I get bored easily and move on to something else. It helps having a team to work with.

That's true. I'm also like that and the team really helps. I already experienced the point where I knew for sure that I would have stopped working on the mod if I were doing it alone. :)

Gerhard

I was a texture artist for the Deus Ex Retexturing project, and temporary team lead, before nay-sayer drove that into the ground ;)

Thankfully metche steel from the IS boards has ressurected that project and it's shaping up to be quite nice.

Edited by god_is_my_goldfish

http://www.thirdfilms. com

A Thief's Path trailer is now on Youtube!

Years ago I briefly toyed with DEU for Doom, but I never really built any levels. That was sometime back in 95 and I never attempted anything else for years until I toyed around with Doom 2 briefly in 99, I took a Finnish work called School Doom 2 and replaced the Finnish comments with various curse-filled sentences from Kingpin just for fun. :lol: I ended up dropping that and not doing anything until I read Komag's tutorial and started playing around with Dromed back in 02.

Had I known what I was getting into, I would have run away then! :rolleyes:

Besides Dromed, I really havent messed with anything else. I did make a few rooms a year ago in PostalED, but dropped that because I just couldnt focus on learning a new editor while still struggling with Dromed. :)

I dont fear the dark...the dark fears me!

As you all likely know, I did three characters in Thief 2X

I didn't know that actually! I'll look out for your gravely boom. Looks like I'm the only one in the entire Thief Community who hasn't contributed anything to T2X. Hmmm... maybe it's too late now. :lol:

I was a texture artist for the Deus Ex Retexturing project,

So why the heck aren't you doing textures for us? :)

Age of Empires and AOM campaigns. Also recently did VTMB skins for stock models; working on a Vampire Blog. Also I tweak stuff in games if it has friendly config files, as in TDS where I reduced the overlarge HUD items and moved things around for increased viewing space.

Loose BOWELS are the first sign of THE CHOLERA MORBUS!

I did moding for Age of empires and AOE2 lotsa detailed maps. That was my first moddding, lol I remember trying to make a map with like....2000 triggers to make it into a whole new game. Good times. Then I did mapping and modding for a couple different Q3 engine games, a little starcraft fora while, then onto this