The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Poets & Peasants by Digi (6/29/14)

Digi

Poets Poll  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Gameplay: Enjoyment, Fun, Frustration, Boredom, etc. (1 is worst. 5 is best)

2. 2. Appearance: Visuals, Lighting, Textures, etc.

3. 3. Story & Text: Briefing, Readables, etc.

As a tester, I must say this is one of the cleanest, well put together missions I've had the pleasure of checking out. It was playable and fun from the start.

Kudos for a rather nicely designed first mission Digi!

• Like 1

"The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out."

- Baron Thomas Babington Macauley

I don't need the .zip file, do I? I edited it out and just left the PK4.

As a tester, I must say this is one of the cleanest, well put together missions I've had the pleasure of checking out. It was playable and fun from the start.

Kudos for a rather nicely designed first mission Digi!

High praise, coming from you. Thanks!

"Fancy burricks are afraid of dogs, if they encounter each other the dog barks and the burricks poop." - Thief: Deadly Shadows Game Designer

I don't need the .zip file, do I? I edited it out and just left the PK4.

Correct, folks simply drop the PK4 into the FM folder, the game does the rest (creates the "poets" folder, etc.) yw!

"The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out."

- Baron Thomas Babington Macauley

Maybe it's too clean..... :P

.....and maybe you can put a door here :D

poets_2014_06_29_20_54_25.jpg

Zoolander here :D

poets_2014_06_29_20_57_39.jpg

Edited by lowenz
  • Like 2

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

Doors, schmoors. :-p

And the sign was actually one of the first things I made, with the expectation that the building itself (built from scratch) was going to look like an abomination and/or an affront against sanity. It was a hedge against my (lack of) architectural skills in DR at the time. The fact that the building looks functional actually ruins the joke a bit, though I left it in as a tribute to Fidcal.

Edited by Digi

"Fancy burricks are afraid of dogs, if they encounter each other the dog barks and the burricks poop." - Thief: Deadly Shadows Game Designer

Now available via the in-game downloader, if someopne want to grab me some screenshots at 800*600 that would be great.

Awesome, thank you for putting it in the in-game options so quickly.

Edited by Digi

Good

I loved the story and the idea of taking revenge against someone who has done you wrong in the past just waiting patiently in the shadows for the right time to strike them where it hurts (in the pocket) it's very believable for a thief and was a cool scenario to play out.

The mission and the house had a cool layout and parts of it impressed me like how you were able to make that nice uneven ground at the start and the spiral staircase. Also having no ability to knockout that guard who is walking around the table inside made it fun and a challenge to try to steal everything on the table without alerting him.

The objectives were straight forward just get in and get out was really cool.

Bad

The one thing I noticed this mission was missing the most was ambiance! It was dead quiet outside and in other than some little noises of candles/gas/guards walking/chittering but there were no tracks in the background to help bring the mood in. Even if you wanted it quiet inside fair enough but outside should definitely have some crickets chirping and maybe a nice droning ambient once inside.

A couple of things were crudely made such as the sink in the house and some things were missing such as sheets/pillows on the bed inside, also there was no one sleeping in it which struck me as odd.

Overall I really enjoyed this mission Digi and i'm keen to play your next mission :)

• Like 1

The placement of lighting and shadows was great! I really like to have to wait for/create a Window of Opportunity :P to move from one shadow to another shadow; which you did so well in this mission. It was very intense to do so because the windows were so short. I had to improvise with

a broadhead arrow I got from one of the patrolling guards, and the rope arrows near the tree. I used them as noise arrows to lure guards away from their posts, so I could hurry and move to new cover.

It was quite fun :laugh:

Thanks for the great mission Digi!

• Like 1

Thanks guys; glad you enjoyed it!

Good

I loved the story and the idea of taking revenge against someone who has done you wrong in the past just waiting patiently in the shadows for the right time to strike them where it hurts (in the pocket) it's very believable for a thief and was a cool scenario to play out.

The mission and the house had a cool layout and parts of it impressed me like how you were able to make that nice uneven ground at the start and the spiral staircase. Also having no ability to knockout that guard who is walking around the table inside made it fun and a challenge to try to steal everything on the table without alerting him.

The objectives were straight forward just get in and get out was really cool.

Bad

The one thing I noticed this mission was missing the most was ambiance! It was dead quiet outside and in other than some little noises of candles/gas/guards walking/chittering but there were no tracks in the background to help bring the mood in. Even if you wanted it quiet inside fair enough but outside should definitely have some crickets chirping and maybe a nice droning ambient once inside.

A couple of things were crudely made such as the sink in the house and some things were missing such as sheets/pillows on the bed inside, also there was no one sleeping in it which struck me as odd.

Good point about the sound. Once I sealed the house, I noticed the lack of ambient music, but didn't think to add something new. I'll keep it in mind for future reference.

The briefing did say Peasant was out for the night, so I'd be a bit worried if there were someone sleeping in the bed. But thanks for the comments, both in praise and critique.

Overall I really enjoyed this mission Digi and i'm keen to play your next mission :)

My next won't be for a while, unfortunately. I have some other projects, both personal and professional, that will take me away from TDM for several months. But I don't plan on this being my only mission, and I'm slowly trying to form cohesive ideas to turn into future levels.

Edited by Digi

Well done Digi , something new I'll look forward to playing when I've time. :rolleyes:

Congrats on the release of your first mission. Just finished playing it and found it enjoyable! Your use of

light and shadow made for some sneaky moments though. Some places, when I was close up, it didn't seem as if there was enough shadow to hide but from far away (example: looking at the two guards by the door from the beginning of the mission, I can see a shadow running from the door, up the middle to the other side. Up close I wasn't sure). Made for a nice challenge trying to stay hidden from those outside while trying to get out of the house before the guard circling the table came by again.

Thanks for your hard work and look forward to more from you. :smile:

Thanks all!

the generator was a nice touch

The generator was Airship Ballet's suggestion, actually, but was easy to implement. I like the added variety it adds to the level, and it allowed me to make the lights it controls quite a bit brighter to make it more of a challenge. Ghosters can be thorough and still flip the switch if they want to do everything flawlessly, but others will have a wilder time running from guards and such.

Edited by Digi

Nice Mission. Played it on hardest with stealth score 1 and some coins missing.

I liked:

+ Innocent hungry man and his outdoor "home" (doused his candle but didn't harm him).

+ Walled off room and backstory of the poet forced to visit the builder's collegue (took his two builder crosses and rope arrows).

+ Two side uses for the rope arrows (switched off the generator even if useless and took the coins at the balkony).

+ No keyhunting / spawns / overly complex scripting or other annoying "creative" stuff - just a good ole thieving mission.

+ No bugs (i did not stumble upon any).

I did not like that much:

- Rather obvious hole in the wall that none could ever miss when looking at at daylight. There needs to be more cover.

- A guard i can't blackjack. I am not a ghoster, prefer blackjacking everyone standing between me and my loot. (doused the candle and took the two golden plates from the table to make him get fired).

- Upper floor room looked rather empty.

Overall there is room for more clutter / ambient / open windows / pickable doors. As it looks like there are no bugs to fix, i hope for a version containing the tavern and collegue interiors.

Thanks Abus. Some good comments, both good and bad. The only one that is a Catch-22 is the guard. Some have loved the challenge of it, which was intentional. It's one of those things where you just can't please every play style. But with such a small mission, I had to get creative in amping the difficulty a couple places.

Also, the generator isn't useless, though it's not needed for ghosting. ;-)

Edited by Digi

But with such a small mission, I had to get creative in amping the difficulty a couple places.

For a harder challenge:

# Make the guard inside use a less predictive route.

# Add a moving butler, maid, chef or wife to the inside.

# Give the patroling guards outside and in the garden torches.

# Use some noisy materials and clutter to cover appropriate places.

# Add some movable cover in front of that hole in the garden and light the place to make the entrance harder.

Ya may also open a "how to beef it up"-thread to get loads of other suggestions from all sides ;)

Thank you digi , neat ( if brief ) little mission.