Photo

Fan Mission: Penny Dreadful 2 by Melan and Bikerdude (2014/07/8)

• Please log in to reply
202 replies to this topic

#51 Melan

Melan

Contest Winner, Wordsmith

• Campaign Dev
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4355 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 02:17 AM

My apologies to anyone who could not complete the mission due to the loot goal. But the weird thing is, the objective editor does not show them as mandatory. So, something is amiss here, but I have no idea what.
Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

#52 Vae

Vae

• PipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 02:20 AM

That's okay, Melan...Despite the technical issues, I would consider this another triumph deluxe in the Penny Dreadful series...:)

#53 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18340 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 03:44 AM

The objective editor does not show them as mandatory. So, something is amiss here, but I have no idea what.

It was a typo on my part, as we had a lot of optional and fixed objectives I mixed up which was what - that has now been fixed.

To everyone please re-download the mission from the in-game downloader or you can download it from the following link -

- Mega

@Melan, can you update the links in the OP, ta.

#54 Melan

Melan

• Campaign Dev
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4355 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 04:04 AM

Done, thanks!
Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

#55 GUFF

GUFF

• PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 04:38 AM

Thanks. I'd probably play this again from scratch anyway. It was really good and there were some places I couldn't get to and places I heard people talk about that I never even saw.

#56 Oldjim

Oldjim

Uber tester

• PipPipPip
  • 1995 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 04:54 AM

The ingame downloader isn't picking up a modified file

#57 esme

esme

• PipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 05:30 AM

@ Melan & Bikerdude

hey guys, no worries it was a minor thing, I've had a blast loot hunting, I even managed to get into the armoury :D and according to the loadout there's still a ton of loot to pick up so I'm going to go find it :ph34r:

#58 skacky

skacky

• PipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 07:49 AM

Yeah finding all the loot in that one is a challenge. Spent like two hours looking around. :P

#59 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18340 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 08:07 AM

The ingame downloader isn't picking up a modified file

Delete and reminants of the old version from your PC first.

#60 Oldjim

Oldjim

Uber tester

• PipPipPip
  • 1995 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 08:34 AM

I know I can do that but the players who haven't seen this bit of the thread won't be aware of the new build

#61 Araneidae

Araneidae

• PipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 09:25 AM

Delete and reminants of the old version from your PC first.

Is there a bug or tracker entry for this issue? (That the downloader doesn't notice this kind of version change.)

#62 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18340 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 11:31 AM

thats why Melan has updated the OP.

#63 nbohr1more

nbohr1more

Darkmod PR, Wordsmith

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7519 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 11:35 AM

I might have a solution in the mission page settings. I will try something when I get home :).

Edited by nbohr1more, 14 July 2014 - 11:36 AM.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.c...ds/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

#64 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18340 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 11:43 AM

OK, keep me posted.

#65 nbohr1more

nbohr1more

Darkmod PR, Wordsmith

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7519 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 12:20 PM

OK, the only way to force this change currently is to set the version number to 2. I don't suppose it matters that much but
we will see ridiculous version listings on the mission pages (I recall missions like Rightful Property and A Night to Remember
went through at least 6 iterations...)
Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.c...ds/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

#66 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18340 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 03:15 PM

Unfortunately that really isn't an option, but isn't Taaaki working on a way to fix this..?

#67 Araneidae

Araneidae

• PipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 04:33 PM

Can I make a really simple suggestion (of course, it'll require coding changes) for making the downloader work:
  • When providing information about each mission, one of the items provided by the server is an md5 sum of the .pk4.
  • When fms/missions.tdminfo is updated the md5 sum of each dowloaded .pk4 is recorded
  • If the md5 sums don't match then the mission needs to be downloaded
Of course, this means that when a mission is uploaded this information needs to be stored, and this checksum needs to be added to the stored and downloaded info ... and *somebody* has to write all this.

#68 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18340 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 04:55 PM

Guys, we are now getting off topic.

#69 SeriousToni

SeriousToni

Beginner Contest 2012 Winner

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2194 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 05:09 PM

Guys, we are now getting off topic.

Attached Files

• Melan likes this
"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

#70 Melan

Melan

• Campaign Dev
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4355 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 12:43 AM

SeriousToni: unfortunately not, they have also spread to other countries.

#71 Araneidae

Araneidae

• PipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 01:08 PM

Superb mission. Managed to ghost it, but with a truly abysmal stealth score (will download the new version and try again).

Bikerdude, I need to go *down*, not up (esme pointed me in the right direction). Sometimes I can be completely blind (though I think that door was nicely hidden).

Is it impossible to perfectly ghost this mission? It seems to me that there's one guard who you have to sneak by in full light, and the only way past is either to raise a commotion (definite failure), or spend a water arrow (soft failure). After that I spent one more water arrow in the fireplace, not sure that I needed that one, but that was all the tools I spent.

#72 Melan

Melan

• Campaign Dev
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4355 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 01:49 PM

Thanks!

Water arrows don't break regular ghosting (only supreme ghost? I think). Anyway,
Spoiler

There are some fairly random situations in the mission due to AI behaviour, and a fair bit of variety depending on difficulty settings, so on some playthroughs, it may be very hard to get a good stealth score. But ghosting was never for the faint of heart. :)

#73 Loa4ever

Loa4ever

• PipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 02:00 PM

Gz on release:), will try this.

#74 Araneidae

Araneidae

• PipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 05:29 PM

Water arrows don't break regular ghosting (only supreme ghost? I think).

Well, I've found that I use so few tools (wish in a way that I could drop them all at the start now) that I now feel bad when I use *any* of them. On the other hand, I feel very sad that I don't have a use for all my tools... I guess in most missions all I use is one rope arrow (I do try hard to keep it, even at the cost of some fall damage) and at the most a couple of water arrows. Seems a pity, really.

On the other had, I've been playing with sound and vision "difficult", not "hardcore", so have just bumped that up and I guess I'll see how I get on.

It's just that I'd got all the way to the end with just the usual dodging (and lots of reloading on misses, have to confess), that I was surprised at the forced arrow. You say he's actually blind enough to sneak by? Will have to try that!

#75 HauntHunter

HauntHunter

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 09:42 PM

Fun mission. I can't seem to recall how to light the slow burn matches tho. I want to try and light the torches in the crypt.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users