The Dark Mod Forums

Does it run on Chromebooks?

Peanut

99% of the hardware is not fast enough. Most Chromebooks use bottom-of-the-barrel GPUs. (Celerons with integrated graphics)

Hopefully as Chromebooks continue to build steam and as tech advances, they will get better parts. I've seen reports that say Chromebooks are becoming a major success at schools.

BTW for anything with an ARM processor, forget about running TDM on it.

Edited by lost_soul

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

In short, no...

And please tell me your not considering getting one -

• not internet connection, then the CB is pretty much pointless even with its so called "offline mode"
  • Its a android tablet with a keyboard, Chromebook versus Laptop

What laptop have you got atm..?

Sure, it will run T1/2... at least missions that do not push extreme limits, such as huge textures via the new mods or masses of geometry. I've seen some T2 missions that can make a P4 beg for mercy.

@Jaxa/LS,

The majority of Chromebooks have an Atom N570 or Celeron 2955U based CPU, which inturn is coupled with a "weak-as-shit" intel HD (base level HD series) GPU. I had an old Dell D420 laptop years ago that had a 1.2Ghz U2500 Core2duo and HD4000 and T1/T2 was unplayable at 1280*800, I had to lower it to 800*600 with everything turned off and quite frankly it wasnt worth the effort. The moral of the story is a shirt-arse Atom/Celeron has "absolutly no chance whatsoever" of running T1/2 let alone TDM.

HD4000? That's Ivy Bridge integrated graphics. I have used Atom before in netbook form, so believe Bikerdude when he says it's as slow as molasses. I'm still surprised that can't run T1/2 (never mind FMs like King's Story and Lord Alan's Factory). Well @Peanut, I'll say that in terms of performance/$, you might as well try to hit $400 if you're buying a laptop. Occasionally there will be a nice $300 machine or a refurb on Slickdeals.net. Returns diminish over $700-800. Get an AMD APU rather than Intel HD graphics, or a discrete card if it appears in the $500-$700 range. Avoid ultrabook premiums unless you want more portability and battery life (weaker but more power-sipping hardware, premium for thinness/SSD (buy that yourself)/weight).

http://slickdeals.net/f/7080752

Wow, this A8-6410 is way better than my A6-3400M, and it's $300.

Back on topic, there are a couple of higher-end Chromebooks and there will probably be more given the recent success of Chromebooks. The first notable one was Chromebook Pixel, basically Google's answer to Macbook Air. Looks like Samsung is starting to stuff the Exynos 5 Octa into their newest Chromebooks, including the only 1080p model in existence. That's ARM so no chance of running TDM there.

Edited by jaxa

Yeah, I imagine you would be better off with an APU-powered laptop for cheap gaming on the go. I've seen cheap machines even running Skyrim, which is impressive.

Also, as far as Chromebooks, this bad boy would run TDM. It still would not run well though, and no way would it run at native resolution! https://play.google....ixel_wifi&hl=en

EDIT: I wonder if Google would be able to (or even interested in) getting TDM usable on Chromebooks? If they're going to take on Windows, they do need to have at least *some* games. Would they be able to offer TDM for free as long as they respect the rules?

Edited by lost_soul

It's an idea, but I don't think they would go for it. The majority of Chromebooks are the sub-$300 machines being marketed towards casual users and education. Given the Chrome OS philosophy they are a lot more interested in getting HTML5/WebGL games working on it and increasing the speed of Chrome/ChromeOS JavaScript engines. TDM's size and FM downloads would also take a toll on the SSD space, which seems to be 32-64 GB in most cases. Even the high-end Pixel is more suited to developers (the 3:2 aspect ratio and 2560x1700 res are apparently good for text) and media consumption rather than gaming.

Edit: and then a few (Samsung and a single HP) Chromebook models aren't even x86, they're Exynos ARM chips. We're probably more likely to see some dual ChromeOS/Android systems pop up, with even more access to casual gaming.

post-3727-0-84866200-1406319936.png

Edited by jaxa

HD4000? That's Ivy Bridge integrated graphics. I have used Atom before in netbook form, so believe Bikerdude when he says it's as slow as molasses

Its worse than that on most chromebooks, they only have the base model Intel HD graphics, no 3000/4000 anything.

Also, as far as Chromebooks, this bad boy would run TDM. It still would not run well though, and no way would it run at native resolution! https://play.google....ixel_wifi&hl=en

Sorry but no, even with a core i5 your going to struggle to play TDM with a HD4000. The HD4000 is the equivalent of an nVidia 8600 GT or ATi X1800. I have a an nVidia 8400GS and on the training mission @ 1280*720 and the lowest settings I get MAX 20fps, MIN 5fps. But thats all beside the point, before you can play TDM on one of these Chromebollox, you have to install a non-standard OS.

@Jaxa whats with the attached image..?

Lol didn't think my simple question would create this much discussion :)

For what it's worth, I think getting TDM working on newer Chromebooks would be awesome (actually I don't see why it wouldn't work on the Chrunbuntu install at least if anyone tried, Crouton runs on top of the modified ChromeOS linux kernel - not sure how this affects things).

I'm not thinking of buying one right now, just writing a blog post about them.

I have an old Dell M1330 with 2.4Ghz T8300 CPU (& GeForce 8400M GS) that I have played TDM on @1280x800, and while it won't win any speed freak awards, it's still playable (maybe not all missions lol..). The 2955U seems to be reasonably close in terms of CPU power - http://cpuboss.com/c...l-Celeron-2955U . Not sure how those Intel HD graphics compare.

Bikerdude - with Crouton you should be able to run a majority of offline Linux apps (hardware restrictions notwithstanding) and some older Windows apps via WINE without forking out extra cash to MS for a Windows 8 license. You can also switch back to Chromebook mode with a key combination.

Chromebooks with Core i3 (i3-4005U with Intel HD 4400) are just starting to appear now - http://www.tomshardw...e2a73dc9630952

Edited by Peanut

• I have an old Dell M1330 with 2.4Ghz T8300 CPU (& GeForce 8400M GS) that I have played TDM on @1280x800, and while it won't win any speed freak awards, it's still playable (maybe not all missions lol..).
  • Bikerdude - with Crouton you should be able to run a majority of offline Linux apps (hardware restrictions notwithstanding) and some older Windows apps via WINE without forking out extra cash to MS for a Windows 8 license.
  • Chromebooks with Core i3 (i3-4005U with Intel HD 4400) are just starting to appear now - http://www.tomshardw...e2a73dc9630952

1. Same here, but its getting sold to as soon to be student as he wanted something both light and powerfull. When I put an SSD in there, he was extremely impressed with the booting and general windows perf.
  2. Hmmm, interesting.
  3. Hmmm, also interesting.

You cannot install any "regular" software on Chromebooks from what I've read, so the simple answer is no.

They're built around apps and cloud services, with the internal HDD used only for media/documents.

"My milkshake bringeth all ye gentlefolk to the yard. Verily 'tis better than thine, I would teach thee, but I must levy a fee."

"When Kleiner showed me the sky-line of New York I told him that man is like the coral insect—designed to build vast, beautiful, mineral things for the moon to delight in after he is dead."

https://soundcloud.com/paralytik

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.anandtech...west-chromebook

Today Acer announced four new models of a new 13.3" Chromebook design featuring Tegra K1. This is a significant launch for NVIDIA, proving there's industry interest in Tegra K1 after the disappointing interest in Tegra 4 and notching NVIDIA their first Chromebook design win.

NVIDIA has two versions of the Tegra K1, one implementing a 4+1 configuration of ARM Cortex A15s, and another implementing two custom designed NVIDIA Denver CPUs. Acer's new Chomebooks feature the former, so we have yet to see Denver CPUs in the wild. This is the first ARM Chromebook we have seen in a while, with Intel taking a large portion of recent design wins. Samsung previously shipped a Chromebook featuring Cortex A15s via its Exynos processor and HP used the same SoC in their Chromebook 11, but the NVIDIA design is much newer and contains numerous improvements.

The most significant portion of the Tegra K1 SoC is its 192 CUDA cores. Chromebook relies heavily on web based applications, but with the rise of WebGL there have been some experiments with browser based 3D games. There haven't been any AAA title WebGL games yet, but when they arrive, this Chromebook should be well equipped to handle them; NVIDIA specifically mentions the upcoming Miss Take and Oort Online, as well as WebGL ports of Unreal Engine 4 and Unity 5.

NVIDIA claims up to 3X the WebGL performance of competing Chromebooks, with processor performance superior to the Exynos 5800 and Bay Trail Celeron N2830. Unfortunately, no performance comparisons between K1 and the Haswell Celeron 2955U were provided. Since both Haswell and Tegra K1 are available for the Chromebook platform, we'll also have the opportunity to perform CPU and GPU benchmarking to directly compare the processors. We have requested a review sample when Acer makes them available.

Beyond the marquee feature of the Tegra K1 processor, the Acer Chromebook also includes 2x2 MIMO wireless AC, an anti-glare coating, and two models feature a 1080p display. Specifications provided by Acer are listed below; Acer provided the model numbers for the three available for presale, and there is a fourth configuration available through resellers where we do not yet have the model number. Acer states they will begin shipping the first week of September.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/08/11/gartner_says_people_stocking_chrome/

It might be a niche but there is growth in the Chromebook market, says research company Gartner which predicts that Chromebook sales will reach 5.2 million units this year.

Not only that, but the number-crunchers also reckon sales will have nearly tripled by 2017. That growth will come from Chromebooks breaking out of the educational market and into the real world, they say.

"Competition in the Chromebook market is intensifying as more vendors launch Chromebooks, with eight models in the market in 2014," said Isabelle Durand, principal analyst at Gartner. "Now that the PC market is no longer growing strongly, vendors are searching for new business opportunities. They launched Chromebooks to revive interest in sub-$300 portable PCs once the netbook bubble had burst."

Edited by jaxa

I wonder what MS is gonna do about all these Chromebooks? They were able to stop the flood of netbooks before, but not this time! I love that these things are gaining in popularity and making Windows less and less valuable.

Also, NVIDIA please do an X86 based Chromebook with your chips in it.