The Dark Mod Forums

Dark Radiant stopped working and now wont reinstall

edit: Problem solved, the culprit was Avast, once that was gone everything was working as intended.

So this is very strange but heres what just happened.

I was working on my map (specifically with cameras if that matters) and then I wanted to pull something from another map so I fired up a second DR then it wouldn't run giving me "error code: 2" about "gobject-vc110.dll" so I thought that was strange and tried again but no luck.

I then uninstalled dark radiant and tried to reinstall but then when the installation got to "gobject-vc110.dll" it said it couldn't rename the file. So I restarted my computer and downloaded a fresh copy of DR straight from source fourge and now it gives me this error (this is the second new copy I downloaded)

---------------------------

Error

The setup files are corrupted. Please obtain a new copy of the program.

OK

I have tried running it in administrator mode but nothing works. I know computers don't usually just break for no reason but i'm really stumped as to what the problem could be

Edited by Goldwell

I found an old installation file which installs but then it can't rename the "cairo-gobject-vc110.dll" to "gobject-vc110.dll" so I just pressed ignore on the installer and then renamed it myself but then when I run it gives this error:

DarkRadiant.exe - Entry Point Not Found

The procedure entry point g_boxed_type_register_static could not be located in the dynamic link library gobject-vc110.dll.

OK

Nevermind I found the issue. Damn avast!

Ugh I think I need to replace it because its not compatible with Dark Radiant at least on my system.

For the love of all that is good can people STOP using free AV programs! They are not worth the time or the effort when you can buy OEM copies of Kaspersky, Norton or McaFee for under £10/$10/€10.

And when you do get one of the aformentioned AV apps, consider ONLY getting the AV-only version. Most people don't actually need the "fatter" versions, eg security suite etc. But if your not sure try the trial versions of the above before, you hand over your money etc.

its not compatible with Dark Radiant at least on my system.

What does that mean? It works fine with DR here on Win7 x64.

I wouldn't personally recommend Norton or McAfee (both bloated). Kaspersky makes a great product however what is wrong with "free" anti-virus? Nothing at all IMO.

I've never had a single issue running Avast and have for over 8 years. Prior to that I ran AVG.

#1, any anti-virus is better than none.

#2, nothing wrong with free antivirus, they run off the same definitions as the paid versions. They may not have all the browser extras, safe this and that, but if you're an informed user these things aren't needed.

What's up with that, Bikerdude? I'm just curious.

Also, Goldwell, did you restart the computer prior to reinstall? Closing DR completely, all instances, and reinstalling after a restart?

Edited by Lux

What does that mean? It works fine with DR here on Win7 x64.

I wouldn't personally recommend Norton or McAfee (both bloated). Kaspersky makes a great product however what is wrong with "free" anti-virus? Nothing at all IMO.

I've never had a single issue running Avast and have for over 8 years. Prior to that I ran AVG.

#1, any anti-virus is better than none.

#2, nothing wrong with free antivirus, they run off the same definitions as the paid versions. They may not have all the browser extras, safe this and that, but if you're an informed user these things aren't needed.

What's up with that, Bikerdude? I'm just curious.

Also, Goldwell, did you restart the computer prior to reinstall? Closing DR completely, all instances, and reinstalling after a restart?

Damn dude you need to calm down...

The problem is solved, it was avast that started freaking out. No idea why but it did because when I disabled it there were no problems.

Also Bikerdude is right that avast ain't that crash hot, I'm going to be picking myself up a copy of kaspersky and that's it for me.

• I wouldn't personally recommend Norton or McAfee (both bloated).
  • what is wrong with "free" anti-virus? Nothing at all IMO.

• That was true a few years ago, but they have since cleaned up thier act, they had to because kaspersky was wiping the floor with them.
  • Are you kidding me, seriously...??!! I have been fixing peoples computers for many years and nearly all of the time the culprit was having cheap-arse (free) AV. When descent AV s/w can be bought so cheaply, there is absolutely and positively no excuse that anyone can come up that would justify doing otherwise.

I never say I told you so, but the phrase "you get what you pay for" means if you insist on using free AV s/w then expect to get infectect. Fyi Obstortte's Internet browsing issue was yet another perfect example, he 'had' Avira AV. This had been disabled by malware so then said m/w was free to run amok on his pc.

When Norton/McaFee lost the plot several years ago, I started using Kaspersky AV (KAV) version 8. The latest version is 2015, avoid 2014 as dosen't like to play nice - which is why I have been using 2013 for a long while now.

The only caveat with KAV is the retail price, Kaspersky are deluding themselves IMHO. A perfect example of this is KAV for android, they want 10 bloody pounds for it - yer ok Kaspersky :P. This is why I recommend people hunt around for OEM copies of the product, when its a 3rd of the rrp your crazy not to. If your really determined however, you can find either a 3pc 1yr pack or if you lucky a 3pc 2year pack. The other trick to getting KAV on the cheap is to buy an earlier version, as Kaspersky allow the updating to the latest version with no charge. This might apply to other AV venders, but you would have to try for yourself.

Damn dude you need to calm down...

lol? I'm not sure how to take a response like that as I'm not riled up. I do apologize if the post came across that way. I'm just direct, not involved ::thumb:: mmmk? :)

@Bikerdude

I do take your point on paid software as very valid, I'll concede that. I've used other free variants of AV and I've found Avast to be a great "free option". I've not had a virus on a PC since... I couldn't even tell you, >10 years (though now that I've said that I've probably hexed myself!). I don't own a cellphone so for me running any AV on a mobile device is a mute point but with their portability and "ease of access"... I'd definitely want an iron curtain on any portable device if I owned one.

I had no idea you could get a fully fledged AV solution these days for $10 either. The last time I seriously looked at them they were in the $60-80 range which was a long time ago (you can laugh), and installed a bunch of bloated garbage.

I will take a look around at some paid stuff if its gotten less expensive. What are your opinions on Bitdefender? I downloaded their "free" package about a week er so ago but haven't gotten around to swapping yet. I will look at their paid stuff though in this new light. There are obviously articles like this out there but personal experience and opinions still matter. I downloaded Bitdefender because in the last month or so, Avast has added a daily pop-up ad (which you can't disable) and add-in programs like, "Grime Fighter" (horrible unintelligent software).

edit: -snip-

Just an example, here is Grime Fighter:

Initial - "We found 16 issues to fix, Let us get your PC back in shape!"

Details - "Unecessary Apps (4)" "We can disable these unnecessary apps to make your PC start up much faster!" - LOL! What are they? It doesn't tell you what they are. My PC will start faster on a SSD? Really? Just laughable.

"System Settings (12)" "By disabling these unnecessary OS features, we can speed up your PC!" - ....again... no info -at -all about what they are, or what its doing.

"We can save you 2.5GB of space" "Removing junk from the dark corners of your PC will give you extra space" - ...once again, what files? where is this mystical 2.5GB of space to reclaim? I've manually searched everywhere for these bits of unnecessary GB's and deleted everything from anyplace that holds junk and yet, it comes back with the same amount every time and in the "analyze" and offers zero discription of these files or where they reside.

I honestly can't see any intelligent person reading what is in the Grime Fighter window and wanting to just blindly delete files. But hey, it comes in the paid version too. What a bonus! [sarcasm]

Yes you can remove grime fighter on its own but these types of uninitiated updates along with newly added Ad popups have made me consider other options in the past month or so.

EDIT: According to this, AVG free and Ad-Aware free 10.5 do what appears to be a pretty good job compared to everything out there, even paid solutions. They don't do as well however in other tests. AVG seemed to score well across the board though.

Edited by Lux

Look for an unbiased site that has done a comparison of AV apps, but like me you'll find that KAV has been consistantly at the top end of the chart for several years.

@GW you might want to change the OP topic, to reflect the problem was AV app related.

done

Still show the old thread title mista...

Oh I can't change that only a mod/higher level can

I thought you meant the original post. But if you have the ability to feel free to change it

Well I spoke to soon, as its seems my faith in Kaspersky is taking another hit. It looks like all the slowdown issue's in KAV 2014, are also present in KAV 2015. In addition to slow application launch (darkmod.exe just sits there, had to add it to the exclusions list) and the function of some apps (opening and saving files). So for the time being I cant recommend KAV any higher than 2013.