The Dark Mod Forums

Updated German translation

Tels

Hello,

gratulations on the 2.02 release everyone! Here is an updated for the German translation:

http://bloodgate.com/tmp/german_update_2014-08-08.zip

The all.lang file contains the update and should be used to regenerate german.lang - the included german.lang file was manually edited and used for testing and is for reference only.

Some notes:

The string "Hardcore" sounds very modern and out-of-place to me. In addition, there are a lot of "easy/medium/difficult" combinations already. It might be a good idea to change the English version to be more inline with the other combinations, so it would instantly allow it to be translated in the already existing languages. But its up to you.

I also noticed while playing "Business as Usual" (wonderful mission, btw!) that there are a lot of auto-translated item names like "Hausschlüssel" (house key) while other remain in English like "Gate key". Maybe the code can be fixed to have a more loose match for item names which can be any of "Gate key", "gatekey", "Gate Key" etc. This way the translation of the HUD can be more complete without any work from the mapper. Let me know if that is of interest to anyone.

• Like 4

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Hi Tels, glad you are still interested in TDM :) *freu*

Regarding the auto-translation: When translating one normally goes through all strings and translate them if neccessary, so I'm not sure whether this is a big problem. The main workload seems to come from translating long texts like in books, where you have to make sure the lines fit on the page etc...

A great step forward would be if DarkRadiant would understand this string system like TDM, and if you had the possibility to switch the language in the Readable Editor, so the translation could take place in DR itself.

Wouldn't the translators supply separate translations if they found "Gate key" and "Gate Key"?

Why should they, it means the same doesn't it?

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Hi, Tels!

Wouldn't the translators supply separate translations if they found "Gate key" and "Gate Key"? The code cares about capitalization?

Yes, if the translater supplies the code. But I was talking about the case where there is no translation, as a fallback.

Currently the code does:

* #1234 => translate it

* Gate Key => for a few special cases like HUD info (a weapon name, item name) it looks it up in a small "reverse directory" to find "Gate Key => #1234", then translate "#1234"

This means that in a lot of cases things like "Objectives", "Easy", "Medium", "Map" etc wil still be translated even if the mission was not prepared for it,

However, the reverse directory only contains a handfull of combinations and it does not know that "Gate key" and "Gate Key" could be translated to the same string in German.

This is quite evident if you play for instance "Business as Usual" in German, as you have a "Hausschlüssel" next to a "Gate key" in your inventory :)

Sure, it won't help books, or translated missions, but it's a cheap effort to improve the translation for missions. It's already nice to have a German menu, and German HUD items even tho the books and objectives themselves stay in English.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

Why should they, it means the same doesn't it?

Yes, but if there's a one-to-one mapping of a string to its translation, and the code cares about capitalization, then there'd be two entries, one for "Gate key" and one for "Gate Key", and each would map to the same translation. If the code ignored capitalization, then "Gate Key" equals "Gate key" and you'd need only one entry.

Yes, but if there's a one-to-one mapping of a string to its translation, and the code cares about capitalization, then there'd be two entries, one for "Gate key" and one for "Gate Key", and each would map to the same translation. If the code ignored capitalization, then "Gate Key" equals "Gate key" and you'd need only one entry.

Yes, but there are also other variants like "gatekey", "Gate-key" etc. But ignoring the casing would be the first step. It hasn't have to be perfect.

(Edit: Yes, the code that does the "best-effort translation" care about capitalization. It might simply be because the data structure enforces this.)

So I'd like to translation code to be changed from this:

1. If string = "#xyz" translate it to "Torschlüssel", be done
  2. If not "#xyz", then look into Reverse Dictionary. If found "Gate key" in Reverse Dict, then take entry ("#1234"), translate it to "Torschlüssel", be done.
  3. Give up, return "Gate key".

To roughly this:

1. If string = "#xyz" translate it to "Torschlüssel", be done
  2. If not "#xyz", then look into Reverse Dictionary. If found "Gate key" in Reverse Dict, then take entry ("#1234"), translate it to "Torschlüssel", be done.
  3. If string contains " Key", replace it with " key", retry Reverse dictionary. If found, then take entry ("#1234"), translate it to "Torschlüssel", be done.
  4. If string contains " key", replace it with " Key", retry Reverse dictionary. If found, then take entry ("#1234"), translate it to "Torschlüssel", be done.
  5. etc.

Steps 3,4 and so on could probably be a bit more clever (look up lower("SomeString") in lower(ReverseDict), then take the first matching entry.

No new string entries would be added.

Of course there might be the theoretical question of mistranslations ("Gate key" meaning on thing, "gate Key" meaning something else), but the number of entries this applies to (HUD texts) is rather small and I can't think of potential conflicts. The most common names are probably "XYZ Key", "Note from X" or "XYZ street".

Edited by Tels

Just updated the ZIP: http://bloodgate.com/tmp/german_update_2014-08-08.zip

There were a few left-over "Key" in the German translation.

Do you mind my question, if it's possible to make the existing FM translations playable for 2.02? I'm still hope to play some FMs in german language. :)

Aren't the existing missions now all already translatable (and most of them translated to German)?

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=I18N_Status

I thought after my last playtrough the translations weren't available for 2.02, so I need to check this again. It is now possible that the translations are delivered automatically in the in-game downloader or do I have to download them manually? If so, which is the most up-to-date link for the translations files?

Translations now are availlable via the ingame downloader and can be downloaded quite conveniently.

Notice that there is a '#' indicating an availlable translation (in case you don't have one already).

Simply select those for download again and the code will figure out whether only the L10N stuff is needed.

However, only about a handful of missions exist, that have any official translation - or localization support, which would be a prerequisite.

With respect to the L10N project: my impression was that the L10N efforts were not made available to the public, because some authors did not like the idea of other people touching their texts.

So, the whole project came to a halt, and the efforts were wasted, although the majority of mission had been translated already into various languages already.

Too bad.....

And it doesn't seem like someone is going to pick it up again either.

Maybe someone else can provide an accurate statement here.

Edited by gnartsch