The Dark Mod Forums

Model Request: Furniture covered in sheets

grayman

Just to make you aware of this biker, but the enviromental lighting method corresponding to global5==2 (the last part of the material definition using the shader program) is not used in TDM anymore.

Are you refering to the following lines only..?

if (global5 == 2)
 blend add
 program ambientEnvironment.vfp
 vertexParm  0  1, 1, 1, 1  // UV Scales for Diffuse and Bump
 vertexParm  1  1, 1, 1, 1 // (X,Y) UV Scale for specular
 vertexParm  2  global2, global3, global4, 1

This will effect every .mtr file in the mod - @Springs your thoughts..? I can do the work easily enough with notepad++

Yes, that entire block is no longer needed, but it doesn't hurt anything either.

I was talking about physics but not like that. My focus was on how the cloth falls and folds realistically using real world cloth examples/gravity and a collision model (chair in this case). As for curtains I can simulate gravity on them and folds the same way but I don't know how to rig them to be animated when an AI interacts with them.

Marvelous Designer (the program I'll be using for the next at least 5 months) does exactly that. I have an idea tho' but I have not tested it yet. IF I can get the AI to do a specific animation I could (theoretically) turn the animated AI to a collision model and have it interact with the curtain. That way I can record the way the curtain moves and instead of having a real time animation and physics in game I do it with a pre-recorded animation like they used to do it in the old days. That means of course that there are NO cloth physics in the game and no other interactions are available (throwing a book on the curtainfor example won't have any effect). But I don't think DR is able to do that and I have no way to use md5mesh that AIs use.

I'm really sleepy now and I'm not sure that any of it made any sense at all so ill stop here.

TLDR: I can only simulate physics with MD and I make models mostly. My knowledge of DR is comical at best and while I have every good intension to help with everything DM, because I love what you guys do, I believe real time physics is way out of my league. If a model or a rig can help you guys do physics in game ill do my best to help

Sometimes I want to scream

So long that life escapes

And then I'd shut my eyes

I'd be the angel of disgrace

An animated model takes a md5mesh as well as a one frame md5anim as base. The anim contains the default pose, so how it should look like at mission start without any interaction happening. To get it to work as an articulated figure, one needs to setup an af file for it.

If you can create md5 models and one frame anims, this would help a lot. The bones are the points the af will be later able to move around. An example for such an af is the rope used by the rope arrow. I should be able to do the af and definition stuff by myself, but I can't create md5 models and anims.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

At the moment I have no way of opening md5mesh and anims. No support in maya for them. I could try after I finish with the covers in this thread when I get blender in my desktop (should be a month or so from now)

http://youtu.be/bjW3U2u-pao

I assigned bone to each 4 vertices and run the cloth simulation. Then I did the opposite and assigned another mesh to those bones so they follow them. In the end I put subdivide and solidify modifiers to increase resolution and thickness of the mesh.

post-2001-0-19845000-1408803463_thumb.png

You could try to make an articulated figure (AF) in Darkmod out of those bones, although AF editor had been scrapped from the game so you would have to use text editor. But remember that id tech 4 engine physics aren't very good.

• Like 2

It's only a model...

@Arcturus: If you could provide the md5mesh and a oneframe anim, I would like to give it a try :)

Eh... Do you want bedsheets while Ι'm at it?

That's my first cloth for armchair_1 with shadowmesh textures etc.

Don't judge my lights please!!! I know they suck :P

Going to start working on more now...

A very big thanks to Springheel that had the patience to make me understand how to get those stuff in DR.

darkmod_2014-08-24_123227_zps1a91d392.jpg

darkmod_2014-08-24_123215_zps011d0519.jpg

darkmod_2014-08-24_123205_zpsf2e96e1c.jpg

darkmod_2014-08-24_123158_zps91574ebc.jpg

I also learned from this experence that there are worse things to make than normal maps. They are called shadowmeshes!!!

Or at least they are worse when your mesh has a lot of folds. :P

Anyways sorry for the direct pics here but each one was like 400k so I couldn't get them on as attachments.

Edited by Atheran
  • Like 3

The lights are fine as it lets us seen the sheets in all thier glory etc.

Thank you but no :P

They are too bright and in random places... A simple 3 spotlight setup with less brightness would reveal a ton more. But I still have to learn how to play with lights :)

Is that good? Want me to change/fix something? Or I move on to more furniture covers and if so what would you want me to do next?

It appears there is a screwed up triangle in the front part (black part).

• Is that good? Want me to change/fix something?
  • Or I move on to more furniture covers and if so what would you want me to do next?

• Its perfect
  • both sofa's, both wardrobes, all single/double beds (the fourposter just needs a sheet over the matress & pillows), small/medium cabinet's and tables please..

Ugh! Lots of models!!

Kidding :)

It's going to take some time but ok. You need em all at once or you want me to give you the models I finish when I finish them?

From a quick look I see only 1 wardrobe and that's \models\darkmod\furniture\wardrobe.lwo

Where is the other one?

Do you mind If I use the same cloth/shader for all the covers? Or I start reading on how to create shaders before I start modeling?

It appears there is a screwed up triangle in the front part (black part).

ill check it out. I'm pretty sure it's inside the cloth mesh but maybe it's too close to it

by the way... do you guys prefer the cloth and the furniture in one object? Or do you want me to do cloths separately? I believe that it's better if it's one object so the FM maker won't have to align them .

What i mean is to have separate variations of the furniture for example:

Armchair_1_cloth and Armchair_1. Instead of the armchair and the cloth as separate meshes

Edited by Atheran

Just to be sure I'll give you the names of each and you tell me if I'm right before I start ok? :P

Small Sofa: tdm_models01.pk4\models\darkmod\furniture\seating\sofa2.lwo

Posh Single Bed: tdm_models01.pk4\models\darkmod\furniture\beds\singlebed_set01.lwo or 4posterbed.lwo?

Smal Cabinet: tdm_models01.pk4\models\darkmod\furniture\cabinet_set01.lwo? It's the only one I see with modeled front surface... The other choice I guess is cabinet1.lwo but it just has buttons on a flat surface

As for wardrobe... tdm_models01.pk4\models\darkmod\furniture\wardrobe.lwo is the only wardrobe I see.

So I make one model with the cover and the furniture underneath it?

Sofa done! (almost). Same problem with a couple of black triangles as the chair... I'm pretty sure what's causing this but I'm not sure how to fix it without changing the meshes. Probably at that place where the black triangles are there's a very acute and small angle of a triangle. One way to fix it is to make it bigger or rotate the face a bit. But in both those cases the adjacent polygons will have problem. The other way is to convert polygons to quads instead of triangles but I'm not sure if DR supports that :/ Tips?

This time I made a model with all 3 meshes (cloth/shadowmesh/sofa) so it's easier for someone to place it on his map.

darkmod_2014-08-25_133608_zps831e4d30.jpg

darkmod_2014-08-25_133555_zpsd2b9a12f.jpg

darkmod_2014-08-25_133540_zps816b6d94.jpg

Edited by Atheran
  • Like 3