The Dark Mod Forums

Gaming Headset with sound localization

SeriousToni

Dear technicians :D

I am currently using a G35 headset from Logitech. This headset has 7.1. virtual surround sound via an USB plug in. It's nice to use this in games so I can hear the bad boys coming who try to beat the candy out of me and from which side they come from.

But it came in my mind if it is possible to hear, if they're at the top of my head or beneath my feet, too! With 7.1. I only seem to hear them on the same axis of my head, but not if they're in the sky or in the basement below. Is something like that possible with another headset in games or is this utopia? :rolleyes:

275070-logitech-g35-surround-sound-headset-profile.jpg

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

Above and below has to be done with good HRTF either by the game encoded in its sound files (if the game devs decided to include that information) or by post processing done by an audio card, USB/pci-e, etc.

If the game has this information in encoded in the files then it "should" play correctly over ANY stereo headset, to my knowledge. Quality of the cans you're listening through and their individual sound stage can greatly affect how this comes across to the player in the game world.

Also, everyone is different. Different shaped ears, ear canals, perception, etc. so its largely and unfortunately a "see what works for you" kind of situation.

I've had great results using a sennheiser pc350 stereo phones and a Z series creative card using their SBX surround. Prior to that with the same phones I was using Realtek onboard and a software mixing solution provided by Razor Surround (free) and also had pretty good results; though the SBX surround is more natural and seemless for me at least and leads me to not thinking about where a sound is coming from anymore. I just naturally look that direction instinctively now. With razor surround I sometimes would hear something and turn what I thought was that direction only to see nothing or be off by 20-45deg which in multiplayer can mean respawn.

Above and below are generally accomplished by changing the tonal qualities of the audio signal by using compression/flanger/delay for those sounds making the sound either boxier (like in small room without the echo) or more hollow or shallow sounding. Kind of like how audio changes when car passes you on the street (dopler shift). The noise being put out by the car stays the same but relative to your ears it seems to change.

The unfortunate thing is that what works for one person doesn't necessarily work for others and so you end up spending a bit of money testing different combinations out for yourself until you find something you're happy with.

I don't know a whole lot about it, I've just found something I'm finally happy with. Hope you do too as it makes all the difference for immersion or for first strike ability in multiplayer.

I have heard that using a PCIe soundcard together with a stereo headset and a microphone would be better than USB gaming headset solutions - I don't know, maybe this is really something to try out but then it's the money that is getting in the way like always. As a soundcard other than my onboard one I found this to be liked by the masses:

Asus Xonar DX PCIe Soundcard 7.1

Also, everyone is different. Different shaped ears, ear canals, perception, etc. so its largely and unfortunately a "see what works for you" kind of situation.

I have very small ears :)

• Like 1

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

Yep, any old stereo headset can give you surround sound. It has to do with the way the audio data is encoded into the stereo channels, which fools you into believing something is behind you. I can for instance load up a game, close my eyes, spin around lots with the mouse, and still tell where a sound is, even when its behind me (using a headset).

I've never tried it with things that are above/below me though.

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

Started looking up how to mix music in 5.1 now thanks to this thread. To be able to do that would be awesome! Seems pretty complicated though...

"My milkshake bringeth all ye gentlefolk to the yard. Verily 'tis better than thine, I would teach thee, but I must levy a fee."

"When Kleiner showed me the sky-line of New York I told him that man is like the coral insect—designed to build vast, beautiful, mineral things for the moon to delight in after he is dead."

https://soundcloud.com/paralytik