The Dark Mod Forums

reasonably priced, but above all... *COMPACT* exercise equipment?

lost_soul

Hey guys, I'm interested in being able to exercise inside where my computer is, because I spend too much time with my fat ass in the chair. Can you recommend any compact gear that exercises both the arms and legs?

Not being a fitness guy, I have *zero* experience buying this kind of hardware. I like exercise bikes, but they are on the large side. Do foldable models exist? For the arms, I can always just use dumbells I guess.

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

Honestly, my advice is to just invest in a good bike. I'd never have stayed in shape without the opportunity to have the wind in my hair and something to look at. A DVD and strong fan could achieve the same, I suppose.

When I don't feel like running outside, I use an aerobic step. You can just step up, then step down if you're not very fit. As you get in better shape you can jump up then jump down. You can just barely jump up, or jump up a few inches higher than the step if you need a harder work out. You can also add ankle/wrist weights or just hold dumbells if you need more of a workout. I find it important to alternate which leg is "boosting" you up on the platform every five minutes so you don't get lop-sided calves. If you haven't done cardio in a while just go for 10 minutes for the first few times. It's very small; I shove it under the bed when I'm done with it. I've seen the prices range from $20-$80.

You might want to get a small bench that can incline and decline to go along with your dumbells. It doesn't need to have a rack attached since you are using dumbells. I don't like using barbells anymore since I rarely have a spotter since I workout at home. With dumbells you can just drop them if you are too fatigued.

Remember to start light with the weights. Let your joints and muscles get used to it.

Yeah, looks like I have plenty of options to choose from.

For starters, there's this: http://www.amazon.co...e+exercise+bike

And then there's this: http://www.amazon.co...e+exercise+bike

All with good prices compared to monster-sized machines.

Then there's this: http://www.amazon.com/MagneTrainer-ER-Mini-Exercise-Bike-Exerciser/dp/B000V53KD8/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1408069100&sr=8-11&keywords=portable+exercise+bike

Looks good because it does the arms too, and you do not have to plug it in. Having to plug an exercise bike in always seemed retarded to me, when YOU are generating power riding the thing. This runs on a single AA, which is close enough. Its not like those tiny little computers require a lot of power.

Edited by lost_soul

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

I cycle outdoors a lot and enjoy that more than any other type of exercise. It's great for cardio and legs, but I consider it lacking for the whole body.

I used to have quite a bit of weightlifting equipment(barbells, dumbells, etc) and have had a few exercise machines over the decades (recumbent exercise bike, rower, stepper.) I still have an elliptical but only because my wife uses it regularly. Of the indoor machines I've owned, I'd say the elliptical has been my favorite(my wife's favorite, too), but I don't use it much.

For general fitness, I like bodyweight exercises and HIIT(high intensity interval training.) Here's a video of a routine that combines those:

No equipment needed for many routines of that type. There are quite a few more HIIT routines on that youtube channel. Exercising that way can be challenging to the newcomer to it, but it's a really time efficient way to become fitter. Some of the HIIT routines are very difficult, but they can always be cut down to better match with a person's current fitness level.

This is about the only piece of equipment I use anymore:

http://www.amazon.com/Iron-Gym-Express-Chin-Up-Bar/dp/B003VNAKEE/ref=sr_1_1/187-4488179-7688114?s=exercise-and-fitness&ie=UTF8&qid=1408094033&sr=1-1

http://reddit.com/r/bodyweightfitness/wiki/kb/recommended_routine

Maybe it's a little more elaborate than what you're looking for. However, this will adequately train upper and lower body with little equipment (for what you do need, be creative).

You can call me Phi, Numbers, Digits, Ratio, 16, 1618, or whatever really, as long as it's not Phil.

It may be difficult to maintain motivation for self controlled excercise at home.

It might be better to get out from your home and start a nice new sports, preferrably with a social component. Try boxing or fitness boxing. You won't regret it.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.