The Dark Mod Forums

Bikerdude's stuff

Bikerdude

• 1 month later...

The distortion on the glass is pretty strong and effects the neighbouring patches pretty strong, but besides that it looks good.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Not sure about the glass, but I love the base. Looks good!

Its a know issue with a lot of the glass shaders in TDM, are there any that dont distortion along the edges..?

Ironically the base was the easiest part of the build, the only tricks I used were 1. used stone/metal textures that matched from a pallette point of view and 2. used the angled brush trick to copy and paste the stone texture under the metal base.

textures/darkmod/glass/milky_warp
{

// Written by Tels, mainly based on
// http://www.iddevnet.com/doom3/materials.php
noSelfShadow
noshadows
twoSided
translucent
forceoverlays
sort decal
glass
qer_editorimage textures/darkmod/glass/milky_warp_ed
description "A milky, reflecting, translucent material suited for large, frosted glass panes"
    // this block makes the glass distort what you see through it
    // one unwanted side-effect is that this effect does not stack
// and distorbs objects in front of the glass, too
    {
		    vertexProgram heatHaze.vfp
		    vertexParm  0  0 , 0  // texture scrolling
		    vertexParm  1  .8  // magnitude of the distortion
		    fragmentProgram heatHaze.vfp
		    fragmentMap 0  _currentRender
		    fragmentMap 1  textures/sfx/vp1 // the normal map for distortion
    }
// this stage sets up the alpha mask (it doesnt render anything)
{
 maskcolor   
 map makealpha(textures/glass/glass1)
}
// now use the alpha mask to add some fake reflections
{
 blend gl_dst_alpha, gl_one
 maskalpha
 cubeMap env/gen2
 // tone down the reflection a bit
 red	 Parm0 * 0.2
 green   Parm1 * 0.2
 blue    Parm2 * 0.2
 texgen  reflect
}
// add our texture on top
{
 blend   add
 map textures/darkmod/glass/crystal_milky
 red	 Parm0 * 0.4
 green   Parm1 * 0.4
 blue    Parm2 * 0.4
}
// This is the code required for frob highlighting this texture
{
 if ( parm11 > 0 )
  blend	   gl_dst_color, gl_one
  map		 _white
  rgb		 0.40 * parm11
   }
{
 if ( parm11 > 0 )
  blend	   add
  map		 textures/darkmod/glass/crystal_milky
  rgb		 0.15 * parm11
}

}

VertexParm 1 handles the strength of the distortion. You can create a new material based on this one with a lower distortion, or even replace the value with Parm4 for example, so that you can control the value via the shaderParm4 spanarg on the lamp.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

''Too nice for Bridgeport!'' :laugh:

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

VertexParm 1 handles the strength of the distortion. You can create a new material based on this one with a lower distortion, or even replace the value with Parm4 for example, so that you can control the value via the shaderParm4 spanarg on the lamp.

Sweet, will have a play with that!

''Too nice for Bridgeport!''

Well it can always been dumbed down and/or dirted up etc.

Honestly it's a great looking asset that would be a good way to signify you've entered either a posh neighborhood or the small zone

of influence for some powerful figure (head of the guard, church leader, politician, etc).

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

@Bikerdude

Posted 19 August 2014 - 08:49 AM

As I seem to be creating lots of new models and textures for my upcoming wip, I thought I would start a similar thread to Springheels.

Wow Biker. Gimmie gimmie. These look awesome. :D

Quando omni flunkus moritati" ("When all else fails, play dead")

Halloween Contest Winner 2014

Honestly it's a great looking asset that would be a good way to signify you've entered either a posh neighborhood or the small zone

of influence for some powerful figure (head of the guard, church leader, politician, etc).

Precisely!

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

• 1 month later...

You def_attach them in the entity the same way you attach a regular light. Although sizing it and positioning it properly is a royal pain. Too high and it overlaps the model; too low and the size doesn't match when you set the object down.

Just created some FS version of our wine bottle so I could create a single multi-bottle model to place in our wine racks. The issue the model is massive @11mb, could someone have a look at it please and see if they can reduce the size a bit and maybe even make it a bit more random? The original FS has been uploaded to the SVN.

wine_bottles.zip.txt

id1FQp7jZmUpv.jpg

Can you show tris? The only thing I can think of is that the flat surfaces are over-tessellated... I presume you didn't add polys to the bottles?

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

He's trying to reduce entity counts by combining models. I suggested SEED for this, but he's using what he's familiar with for now.

Correct me If Im wrong but I dont think even SEED would reduce the entity count enough, as Ive been able to reduce 100+ bottles to 11.

Also have a small and large wine_bottle group positioned for use the wine rack makes life a lot easier for mappers, with the existing prefab the bottle all rotate differently to them selfs and the wine rack.

I meant making a single model that is a collection of multiple models, so it's only one entity.