The Dark Mod Forums

Dead USB flash drive and keyboard

AluminumHaste

So 2 days ago I plugged my 64 GB SanDisk extreme into the front panel USB hub on my old computer. Fried. Dead. Thought it had just finally died.

Today I plugged in my max keyboard night hawk x8, smoke came out of the USB hub on the keyboard, then all the lights went out. Boom 180$ keyboard and 120$ USB key dead.

I got a lifetime warranty on the SanDisk, so RMAing that. Not sure about the keyboard.

Fuck computers.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

Yu have a faulty mobo and the fact it took out connected items means, the manufacture of the motherboard is liable. I have had the same thing happen to me but it only killed a £20 flash drive and I disconnected the port (it was a header that died)

They will have to by law replace the mobo, if they have ANY common sense they will replace the k/b and the usb stick(or offer you some cash) - otherwise you go public.

Which mobo, make and model is it..?

clickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICK

A co-worker brought a mechanical keyboard into work once, I guess to shake off buyer's remorse via compliments or something. He was about two clicks away from being strangled with the wire when he stopped.

Edited by Airship Ballet
  • Like 1

A co-worker brought a mechanical keyboard into work once, I guess to shake off buyer's remorse via compliments or something. He was about two clicks away from being strangled with the wire when he stopped.

I got the MX browns, not much louder than most stock Dell dome keyboards.

• Like 1

I've got a Deck legend with mx blacks and I wouldn't trade it for the world. I love the audiory feedback. Like the IBM keyboards or yore! You don't have to press the keys all the way down btw, a couple millimeters and they work and make no noise but when you're clackin out 60wpm, it really helps me get in a rhythm. Wouldn't trade it for the world. Buyer's remorse? You're funny, Merry. I wouldn't show it off but I'd buy another in a heartbeat if anything happen to this one.

Neat keyboard, AH. I really need a new flash drive and that's a nice one. I remember buying my first 4GB flash drive, it was $250 bucks!! Freaking redonkulous Moore's law, ain't it.

Haha, what's really funny is that the keyboard with all the mechanical switches, usb ports, knobs, cord, case is $10 LESS than the Daskeyboard messenger bag... lol.

Edited by Lux
  • Like 1

The only feedback I need is letters appearing on the screen, I just can't really comprehend Mr Co-Worker's justification of spending upwards of £100 on a keyboard that goes clickety clack. At least AH's has a few cool features; his was just a regular keyboard that made a lot of noise and felt more expensive to type with.

Airship, I used to feel the EXACT same way, thought people were just pretentious hipsters with their mechanical keyboards.

Then I tried one; hated it. Too loud, required too much pressure to actuate the switch.

Then I sat back at my desk and my shitty Dell domed key switch keyboard felt....mushy, imprecise.

A few weeks went by and I finally tried another one of my coworkers mechanical keyboards, this time with non-linear switches (blues I think), and fell in love with it. I made less mistakes, I could press more than 4 keys at once and the sound soon became soothing to me. I relished typing when I got home to my Max Keyboard.

Now I HATE typing at work, this HP keyboard is brand new, and it's shift key is already worn out. We go through keyboards like crazy, but a good (expensive) mechanical keyboard would last 1000x times longer.

• Like 1

Yeah, it only seems expensive but that's short sighted. They last a long long time. Another instance of that would be computer chairs... man, I freaking hate computer chairs from Office Max, Staples, the dept. stores. They're anywhere from $150-$250 for a decent one and I used to go through computer chairs like 1 every 2 years or sooner depending on how much a piece of crap it is.

Finally I decided, you know what, I'm going to save a bit and make an insane purchase because I'm sick of buying garbage uncomfortable chairs and replacing them every 1 to 2 years. I bought a herman miller aeron chair for around 900 bucks. Yes it was insanely expensive but then again I've had it now for 6 years (that's probably $750 in chairs I would have bought or more) and it feels like the freaking day I bought it. Its so comfy to sit in, isn't hot, there's no foam to collapse after a year, the castors roll like they're on ice, and it looks literally like the day I bought it minus a bit of dust. I can sit in that chair for 12hours straight and not even need to get up. No circulation issues, edges of boards cutting off blood flow etc.

It wAS crazy expensive but it was worth every dime and if anything happens to it... in home life time service. You never think you'd say something like, "its a magnificent chair", or "its a magnificent keyboard", but it is true. You get what you pay for isn't always true but there are a few cases where it is.

Edited by Lux

Oh god, so true. I hate the chairs at work, they were expensive 24 hour cycle chairs, but they're all getting to be over 10 years old and need to be replaced.

We got a few testers in to try them out and the new ones, while comfy and nice, don't look like they're going to last as long as the originals.

Things like mice, keyboards, monitors, chairs, these are all things that you spend hours and hours interacting with every day. To skimp on these makes no sense in the long run.

It's like at work, when customer spend over 800$ a year on internet, including all the extra expenses for services like Netflix on top of that, but then cheap out on a 15-25$ router from walmart. Why? You will have nothing but problems with those units and will hate the experience. Your router purchase should be in the same ballpark as all the other devices you have related to the internet (tablets, tvs, phones, computers etc.). Spend the extra money and get a 100-150$ router that will perform and hopefully last.

Yeah, it only seems expensive but that's short sighted.

Oi, I see where people are coming from, it's just either for people with far more disposable income than me or it's truly a heavenly experience I can't miss because I've never stuck with it. I'm still using a keyboard I bought in 200X for a tenner, no sign of degradation aside from there being no letters left on the keys. Flashy peripherals seem to me to be far more a luxury than a necessity, which is fair enough if it's a luxury you want/can afford, but the fact that I've experienced a mechanical keyboard and never felt the urge to get one of my own suggests it's not too big of a deal for me. Same with the chair, because Jesus, I get your motivation but I'd never in a million years pay that much for a chair that I couldn't fly to work.

N.B. I reserve "pretentious hipster" for the people who use actual typewriters.

Edited by Airship Ballet

... Same with the chair, because Jesus, I get your motivation but I'd never in a million years pay that much for a chair that I couldn't fly to work.

I fought with myself over it for over 6mo. but I'd already spent more than this in last 10 years on chairs and its just a PITA. I mean seriously, a thousand dollars for a chair?? hehe... but yeah, I'm glad I took the plunge, 6yr. and going strong, like new infact.

N.B. I reserve "pretentious hipster" for the people who use actual typewriters.

^ ThAT is funny.

• Like 1

When I was fixing other peoples' computers, somebody brought in a laptop with a BADLY deformed AC adapter. It was charred and must have gotten extremely hot at some point. It cracked me up... "dude, were you seriously using this thing?! ...... Like hell I'm gonna plug that in!"

You gotta love the users. They're just so funny. They'll try to plug something into a charger, and all they care about is "if it fits". They do not check the voltage, or polarity, or current, or anything.

Edited by lost_soul

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

Or reading the label on the adaptor and the device. 15V 5A might fit 19V 3.42A, but it might not be a good idea to use it.

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

clickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICK

Lol. :D I thought about buying a mechanical keyboard some times, but always thought they were too expensive for the benefits. I settled with one of the Logitech G keyboards, the G110, and i really like it. Know what you mean about the mechanical keyboards though, you definitely feel the wear on normal rubber dome (is that what its called in english?) keyboards. They get softer and more mushy with the time. You realize that when you compare a new model to a used model after having used it for a while.

Edited by chk772

• 3 weeks later...

So replacement flash drive on it's way, and the keyboard I sent back to Max Keyboard who said they would diagnose and repair without charge as long as the whole board itself wasn't fried. They wouldn't even charge me labour, just shipping.

Since I'm out of warranty, I thought that was wonderful of them.