The Dark Mod Forums

Md5 tools for Maya 2012?

Springheel

With Biker's help I've managed to get a working copy of Maya 2012, and can successfully load the maya animations from our repository. But I've dug around a little bit and haven't been able to find an md5 exporter, which is necessary to export them to md5anim format. Thought I might tap into the ingenuity of the community here...can anyone help me find one?

Here we go:

md5Exporter

download 1.1.2

Exports maya scenes into the .md5 (version 10) format and optionally material (.mtr) files. Allows for creation of project presets. Developed for a friend to get animated models into Doom 3

• Like 2

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

Are you sure this works with Maya 2012? The instructions refer to versions 7.0 and 8.0. Where did you get it from?

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

Yeah, the Zbuffer one apparently doesn't work on the more recent versions.

Hmm, I found a download from an Engine Developer called "Away3D".

http://away3d.com/?ACT=26&fid=48&aid=1110_zkND75F8pW6Yc86ffJNe&board_id=1

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Here we go:

md5Exporter

download 1.1.2

Exports maya scenes into the .md5 (version 10) format and optionally material (.mtr) files. Allows for creation of project presets. Developed for a friend to get animated models into Doom 3

Can you give me some points on how to use that exporter?

I installed it on Maya 2009 and it shows and the shelf works but i just can't export with it, don't know if i'm just not using it well or it does't really work on Maya 2009. This is the error i get "// Error: No skin cluster found!" i'm just trying to export a simple .md5 without animation.

Hmm, I found a download from an Engine Developer called "Away3D".

All that is inside that zip file is a single file in .py format. I'm afraid I have no idea what to do with it.

edit: after some searching I've found the following in the Away3D forums (so I assume it's for the same file):

Enclosed is a MD5mesh and MD5animation exporter. The community needs one. Maybe someone can add the file somewhere more permanent. The community can continue to support it.

To run the script add it to your Maya plugin directory and then in your Python script window type

import md5Exporter

md5ExporterGui()

Though lots of people have apparently not been able to get it to work. I'll give it a try.

To run the script add it to your Maya plugin directory

First hurdle...I can't find anything resembling a plugin folder to put this into. Supposedly it's supposed to be under Maya/bin/, but I have no such directory.

You may need to manually set the MAYA_PLUGIN_PATH value using a custom Maya.env file:

http://download.auto...umber=d0e676581

also, this could be in "documents" in newer Maya versions:

<user’s directory>/Documents/maya/2014-x64/plug-ins

Edited by nbohr1more

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

I found it...didn't realize there was both a c:/autodesk and a c:/program files/autodesk after installing.

Don't think I'm likely to get very far with this....I'm getting the same error a couple other people got, and there are no instructions posted anywhere I can find about what to do in that case.

edit: I tried moving the .py file to my scripts folder instead, but then I get the following (different) error:

# Error: NameError: name ‘md5ExporterGui’ is not defined #

Well, that was quite a runaround, but I might be making progress. I tried a few different 2012 exporters with no luck. Then I installed my old copy of Maya 7.0 on a laptop and got it exporting properly, thinking I could work on Maya 2012, send it to Maya 7 and then export. No luck. The two versions aren't compatible and after trying several methods to try and bridge between them, including fbx exporting, I couldn't get it to work. Then, just for kicks, I tried installing Maya 7.0 on my Win7 machine again...and this time it worked! Now I just have to make sure it exports from this machine, but even if it won't I can still ferry files back and forth between my main machine and my laptop.

• Like 2

I compiled the MayaImport.dll for various Maya versions in the past. If I can get hold of a copy of Maya 2012 I might be able to do the same again, to get the ingame exportModels command working. In case this is still needed of course.

Spring, have you been using the exportModels command in the past? I have a new MayaImport DLL available for testing, linked against Maya 2012 (32 Bit).

Yes, the exportmodels method is the one I'm used to using with Maya 7.

Yes, the exportmodels method is the one I'm used to using with Maya 7.

If you have time, please test the DLL linked on the wiki page (http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=MayaImportx86_versions), there is one for Maya 2012, but make sure it's the 32-bit version of Maya.

Is there a way to get Maya 2015 full and LT 32/64bit compatible MayaImport DLL ?

Yes, if I can get hold of a Maya 2015 version and/or its SDK (include and lib folders), I can probably compile and link it. But I don't think it's possible for the 32 Bit game+MayaImport to load any SDK libraries from Maya 64 Bit.