The Dark Mod Forums

Card-playing AI questions

Springheel

I'm trying to setup some more robust AI prefabs, and I'm having a few issues with our card-playing AI.

1. If an AI has no pathnodes, and the spawnarg "sitting" "1", he will sit right where he is at map start. After searching, he returns to the same spot and sits again. However, he isn't entirely accurate about getting to exactly the same spot, which results in him sitting off the edge of his stool. Is there a spawnarg that reduces the position tolerence for AI in this situation?

2. Right now, when card-playing AI are alerted, their cards go flying through the air like a missile. it looks silly. It would be preferable if they were just destroyed when unbound from the AI, but I'm not sure how to do that. The cards have the spawnarg: "unbindOnalertIndex" "3" while unbinds them when the AI hits alert 3. They have "remove" "1", which I thought was supposed to destroy them when they were unbound, but it doesn't appear to work.

1. Set "startpos_tolerance" "8" on the AI.

If that's too sloppy, try smaller numbers until it works. Small numbers might bring on circling, though.

2. "remove" just says to remove the item when the AI dies or is KO'ed. We could create a new spawnarg for objects that removes them from the game when unbound.

2. That might be desirable. We got around it for things like the steel for relighting by destroying it after x seconds. That doesn't work for things that are in existence for an unknown amount of time though.

Just a random thought on the card playing AI's:

what will happen when they return from the alarm state?

Will they continue playing cards with empty hands?

I seem to recall having seen that happen quite a while ago, but I am not exactly sure in which TDM release or in what mission.

That would look pretty awkward as well.

Maybe a check should be added which prevents them from doing so, in case it isn't there already.

That can't happen, as the cards control the behaviour. Once they're dropped ai revert to normal behaviour.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recent Status Updates

• taffernicus

i am so euphoric to see new FMs keep coming out and I am keen to try it out in my leisure time, then suddenly my PC is spouting a couple of S.M.A.R.T errors...
      tbf i cannot afford myself to miss my network emulator image file&progress, important ebooks, hyper-v checkpoint & hyper-v export and the precious thief & TDM gamesaves. Don't fall yourself into & lay your hands on crappy SSD

· 1 reply
    • OrbWeaver

Does anyone actually use the Normalise button in the Surface inspector? Even after looking at the code I'm not quite sure what it's for.
      · 7 replies
    • Ansome

Turns out my 15th anniversary mission idea has already been done once or twice before! I've been beaten to the punch once again, but I suppose that's to be expected when there's over 170 FMs out there, eh? I'm not complaining though, I love learning new tricks and taking inspiration from past FMs. Best of luck on your own fan missions!
      · 4 replies
    • The Black Arrow

I wanna play Doom 3, but fhDoom has much better features than dhewm3, yet fhDoom is old, outdated and probably not supported. Damn!
      Makes me think that TDM engine for Doom 3 itself would actually be perfect.
      · 6 replies
    • Petike the Taffer

Maybe a bit of advice ? In the FM series I'm preparing, the two main characters have the given names Toby and Agnes (it's the protagonist and deuteragonist, respectively), I've been toying with the idea of giving them family names as well, since many of the FM series have named protagonists who have surnames. Toby's from a family who were usually farriers, though he eventually wound up working as a cobbler (this serves as a daylight "front" for his night time thieving). Would it make sense if the man's popularly accepted family name was Farrier ? It's an existing, though less common English surname, and it directly refers to the profession practiced by his relatives. Your suggestions ?
      · 9 replies