Photo

What do you think? (Adding details to old models)

renewing models

78 replies to this topic

#51 Springheel

Springheel

Creative Director (retired)

• Admin
  • 36514 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 08:36 AM

Yes, it should stay in the original format.

#52 VanishedOne

VanishedOne

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 09:51 AM

Is the revised chair model likely to be accepted? If so, I'd better not do anything with my antimacassar in the meantime:

Posted Image

Some things I'm repeatedly thinking about...

- louder scream when you're dying

#53 Springheel

Springheel

• Admin
  • 36514 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 10:03 AM

Well, that's a pretty good example of why changing the outline of a mesh can be a problem.

#54 XendroX

XendroX

• PipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 04:22 PM

@Springheel. Hmm, you didn't answer the question%) Do you accepted new model of armchair or not? ;)

#55 Springheel

Springheel

• Admin
  • 36514 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 05:37 PM

Not if it's going to cause problems for people working with the original mesh, which it apparently does. It's unfortunate, but we don't want to send the message to mappers: "don't bother doing anything creative with the tdm assets because they'll probably change in unforeseen ways".

#56 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18744 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 05:46 AM

Could Xen not simply create additional version's of our models, and as they use the existing textures it keeps the overall foot print to a minimum.

#57 Springheel

Springheel

• Admin
  • 36514 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 07:25 AM

The options are either making changes small enough not to cause problems (ie, adding polys but not changing the dimensions) or making something different using the same textures (with dimensions different enough to make it worthwhile).

#58 Anderson

Anderson

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 03:26 PM

@Springheel. Hmm, you didn't answer the question%) Do you accepted new model of armchair or not? ;)

I suppose the matter didn't move on since?

These were nice models in all honesty.

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

#59 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18744 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 04:43 PM

Is the revised chair model likely to be accepted? If so, I'd better not do anything with my antimacassar in the meantime:

antimacassar_with_current_and_test_chair

Could we not have the lace drape as a prefab, eg its placed over an existing chair and then saved as a prefab I can then include in the mod etc.

#60 VanishedOne

VanishedOne

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 04:57 PM

Could we not have the lace drape as a prefab, eg its placed over an existing chair and then saved as a prefab I can then include in the mod etc.

Spoiler

• Goldwell and Anderson like this

Some things I'm repeatedly thinking about...

- louder scream when you're dying

#61 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18744 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 07:20 PM

Thank you :-)

#62 XendroX

XendroX

• PipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 07:50 AM

Hi guys! I wasn't here a year maybe... Are you interested in updating old models? I still can done this task, but I want to know is it neseccary?

• Anderson likes this

#63 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18744 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 08:25 AM

Yes please, but they need to be .LWO (preferably) or .ASE.

You are better placed to let us know which models need updating, but I will say that the new models preferably don't want to be more tris than the existing ones.

#64 NeonsStyle

NeonsStyle

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1253 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 01:35 PM

delete

Edited by NeonsStyle, 13 August 2016 - 02:51 AM.

I have a small YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

#65 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18744 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 04:48 PM

Ai models are a whole different beast, as they require rigging. That said the subject of creating female versions existing male Ai  (guards, builder, priests etc) has been brought up in the past and should be far less work that creating Ai from scratch.

#66 XendroX

XendroX

• PipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 05:20 PM

This topic was about static and moveable stuff, that is ,actually, what I can redone quick and easy. Can you tell me main requestments for this? Like I understand  new models need to be the same size and coordinates. About polycount - new models will heavier about 20-30% then old ones, can it be so or not?

#67 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18744 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 11:59 PM

I believe there is a guide to these requirement on the wiki, if you can't find it let me know and I will see what i can scare up etc.

#68 NeonsStyle

NeonsStyle

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1253 posts

Posted 13 August 2016 - 02:52 AM

I don't see how it could cause a problem. Just replace existing models, and have us do an update. As long as the model

names are the same, it shouldn't cause any problems. Obviously if names are different that maps will break.

I have a small YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

#69 New Horizon

New Horizon

Mod hero

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13782 posts

Posted 13 August 2016 - 07:51 AM

Please see the images posted earlier. If the shape, origin, or orientation are changed in any way...then there will be problems.
  • NeonsStyle likes this

#70 Dragofer

Dragofer

Modeler

• PipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 13 August 2016 - 07:55 AM

Here are some improvements that I think would be good:

- nautical -> the bullseye windows are incredibly low-poly, iirc 40 tris and a 7-sided circle. I'd make that 12-sided. It wouldn't affect the galleons because they have their own windows.

- nautical -> most other nautical models are fine in terms of polys but some have very blurry textures: i.e. skylight, winches. Maybe a similar-looking wood texture could be used for these?

- lights -> there's a tabletop lamp looking like an electric grill lamp which could use a facelift. For starters it doesn't use a standard lit/unlit glass texture.

- nature -> some of those huge trees are unusually low-poly, they're basically just a small number of straight tubes. The trees could have more shapeful/curvaceous trunks and branches without changing overall shape much.

- mechanical -> the blowtorch is rather textureless (uniform flat metal all around, the ones you find under textures/darkmod/metal/flat). Maybe replace some of those flat textures with a trim texture (i.e. gen_ornate metal series) to give it some more definition? The same goes for all those models which use all-plain metal textures.

#71 XendroX

XendroX

• PipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 14 August 2016 - 02:32 PM

Guys, maybe someone of you have stored updated model of armchair I made before? I want to fix problem with antimacassar on it but can't find my one...

• Anderson likes this

#72 XendroX

XendroX

• PipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 14 August 2016 - 02:45 PM

I've made small update for nautical group, only geometry, all textures left like it were before. Compare with old ones and tell me if something wrong, pls

http://www.ex.ua/580439381481

• Anderson likes this

#73 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18744 posts

Posted 14 August 2016 - 03:08 PM

That link is is russian, don't know what to click on.

#74 Anderson

Anderson

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 14 August 2016 - 03:23 PM

Maybe use Google Drive or One Drive for more accessibility?

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

#75 XendroX

XendroX

• PipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 14 August 2016 - 03:38 PM

https://drive.google...bk1jbnQzQVpna3M

First time use google disk for share files. Check please can you download by link?

• Anderson likes this

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users