The Dark Mod Forums

Darkradiant 2.0 bugs:

Thought I would start a thread for any remaining bugs that Greebo wasn't able to quash to due being the only only person working on it and the small tester base. I will list the bugs in the OP as people post them in this thread.

I am currently running Windows 8.1 and Amd Catalyst 14.9.

Bugs: (considered fixed when strike-throughed)

• The gui bug I reported here is still partly present, in the preferences>settings everything below 'autoisave' is not displaying correctly. But shutting down & starting DR a few times seemed to fix it.
  • The layers menu is very sluggish on first use, I hade to wait a while before I could click the layers to hide them at the same speed/responsiveness as 1.8.1.
  • If the user click's on DR in the task bar the 'layers' popup keeps getting selected.
  • DR isnt remembering the location of its 'layers' popup, so may be related to the above.
  • In camera view you can see the divide between brushes, shutting down & starting DR reduced the effect, see post
  • In camera view you can see the divide between patches when you have a caulk brush behind it, see post.
  • In camera view the shadowmesh on models ZF's horribly, see post
  • With split-pan enabled DR crashed on shutdown, If user wipes the appdata/roaming/darkradiant folder, the error goes away. However, but when user changes window layout back to SplitPane, then the error comes back and then has to wipe the prefs folder again to get rid of it. see post fixed see post
  • If you right click and choose create model, it works. Then, if you go to the filters and select collision surfaces, and filter them out. Then right click and choose create model, DR crashes with this error FIXED see post

• The gui issue I reported here is still present, the layers menu is not scaling down to the previous 1.8.1 size (its double the size it use to be)
  • Scrolling up and down in the layers menu is much slower than 1.8.1.
  • DR is starting and loading maps a bit slower than 1.8.1.
  • DR is slower to shutdown compared to 1.8.1.

Misc:

• I found when testing previous versions of wxW DR would crash iof the old 1.8.1 prefer were present, so I had to uninstall the previous version and its prefs folder - uninstall 1.8.1, delete the DR prefs folder from " appdata>(user name)>roaming> darkradiant ".

• In camera view you can see the divide between brushes, shutting down & starting DR reduced the effect.(dosent show up on the SS though)
  • In camera view you can see the divide between patches when you have a caulk brush behind it, see below.
  • In camera view the shadowmesh on models ZF's horribly, see below.

post-496-0-72699200-1413024558_thumb.jpgpost-496-0-18308000-1413024512_thumb.jpg

post-496-0-93894800-1413024523_thumb.jpg

Users should be aware they may need to uninstall the previous version and its prefs folder - uninstall 1.8.1, delete the DR prefs folder from " appdata>(user name)>roaming> darkradiant ". I found when testing previous versions of wxW DR would crash iof the old 1.8.1 prefer were present.

Is there a way to migrate the prefs folder contents (which I assume is */AppData/Roaming/DarkRadiant/) from 1.8.1 to 2.0? I don't remember the specific preferences problem I had when I briefly tested pre-2.0 a while back, but it was a nightmare to recover from.

Is there a way to migrate the prefs folder contents (which I assume is */AppData/Roaming/DarkRadiant/) from 1.8.1 to 2.0?

Possibly, I have just installed 1.8.1 along side 2.0 and 1.8.1 had no problems with the prefs created by 2.0. So at a guess I would say try the following -

• make a backup of the 1.8.1 prefs folder, then delete the prefs folder.
  • Then and install, run & shutdown 2.0.
  • then copy your 1.8.1 prefs over the top.

Atm with 2.0/1.8.1 both installed I can load either. But after loading 2.0, 1.8.1 window size is altered everytime.

When I close DR 2.0, I always get this:

ELTogi8.png

If I wipe the appdata/roaming/darkradiant folder, the error goes away. However, when I change my window layout back to SplitPane, then the error comes back and I need to wipe the folder again to get rid of it.

This is a shame since I am very fond of SplitPane mode.

EDIT: All the other window layouts are working, except SplitPane.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Misc:
  • Users should be aware they may need to uninstall the previous version and its prefs folder - uninstall 1.8.1, delete the DR prefs folder from " appdata>(user name)>roaming> darkradiant ". I found when testing previous versions of wxW DR would crash iof the old 1.8.1 prefer were present.

I've been through this at least twice in the meantime, but here goes to clarify: people do NOT need to clear their preferences when migrating to DarkRadiant 2.0.0 or later. DR 2.0 should be able to load preferences created by older versions. If it does not, then I'm going to need a copy of those old preferences and try to reproduce the crash or whatever misbehaviour. A bug report with some attachments would be helpful in this case. Without the problematic XML files I cannot do anything.

However, it's problematic to move back from 2.0.0 to 1.8.x, since the older releases can not load the preferences created by 2.0.0. So if you intend to move back and forth and keep your shortcuts at the same time, make backups of your XML files in the AppData\Roaming\DarkRadiant folder.

In camera view you can see the divide between brushes, shutting down & starting DR reduced the effect.(dosent show up on the SS though)

Can you provide a testmap, please? We had the same issue in the past (#2250), and back then it was due to the openGL state being poisoned by some other materials that were present in the same scene. That's why I need a specific test map where this issue can be repro'ed. I don't care if the testmap is huge or tiny or released or not, I just need it to debug the problem.

Ok, I see the little purple caulk-coloured sparlkies like in that screenshot, but these are occurring in 1.7.0 and in 1.8.0 as well. They are a few pixels in the worst case, I'm pretty sure that this is not a DR 2.0 problem.

On my system here I have the same behaviour for all tested versions (1.7.0, 1.8.0 and 2.0.0): when I move the camera view around (in RMB freelook mode) I can see a few (3 to maybe 10) purple pixels appear along the brush boundaries, but most of the time I can't see any, or maybe 1 or 2. It's possible that different results are seen for different screen resolutions or graphics drivers, who knows.

Can you capture a video of the effect? (Not that I can do much about it since I cannot repro it on my system.)

Another crash.

If I right click and choose create model, it works.

Then, I go to the filters and select collision surfaces, and filter them out.

Now, if I right click and choose create model, DR crashes with this error message:

utCYpXS.png

EDIT: strange. It happened to me twice now and lost some work. Now I cannot repeat it anymore. Might have been rats, but stay on the lookout for this. People using DR2.0 should be saving their work very often.

Clipper

Sotha, while I couldn't reproduce the ModelSelector problem you had, I added some precautions to the treeview code to prevent that kind of assertion. I'm pretty sure I had this problem before so I believe I could identify the potentially faulty section.

Sotha, while I couldn't reproduce the ModelSelector problem you had, I added some precautions to the treeview code to prevent that kind of assertion. I'm pretty sure I had this problem before so I believe I could identify the potentially faulty section.

Thanks! Let's hope that fixes it.

Clipper

Thanks! Let's hope that fixes it.

Actually, thinking about it some more and reading the wxWidgets code I think I understand now how these assertions can occur. While I can work around it and make my UI code safe against these cases (which I'm going to do anyway), I believe that this is a weakness of the wxWidgets wxDataView::AssociateModel method, which should be more cautious when called with replacement models or even with the same model that is already associated. Maybe I'll reporting that to the wxWidgets tracking system.