The Dark Mod Forums

What content do you want?

Guest garthzombie

Guest garthzombie

Hello chaps,

So here is an open ended question: What custom content do you want?

I am not good at making characters, although I will have a go at making statues, I think I can make something fairly decent.

But if you want something, please list what you want and a reference, if you have no reference images, unfortunately it won't get made.

Fire away!

• Like 2

If you can make statues, that would be great! Or if you are more into it, how about some machinery? Here are some concept sketches I made (originally for Atheran, who tried to make them, but unfortunately lost all his work on these in a HD crash):

post-2023-0-46292400-1413532799_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

I have a photo that has both a few nice demijohns and the kind of stove/boiler I was thinking about:

demijohn1.jpg

The main difference would be that the reed part of the demijohn would only reach halfway up, and the top would be pure black or green glass. I'll look for the thermometer. The dial is essentially Thief-inspired; will try to get a good screenshot for you.

• Like 1

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

But why would you not have the reed go to the top of the demijohn? Then you can't have a handle, and the (expensive) glas would be unprotected. The photo shows how the actual items are designed in the real world - I wouldn't deviate fromt that just to have a fancy (but non-realistic) design.

Nice and interesting photo, btw :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

If you can make statues, that would be great!

I'll second this - the majority of TDM statues are like the ones found in Thief: Deadly Shadows (faceless, covered with a signle rock texture) and I'd love to see the much more finely textured, expressive statues like those found in Thief 1 and Thief 2.

But you should walk having internal dignity. Be a wonderful person who can dance pleasantly to the rhythm of the universe.

-Sun Myung Moon

My work blog: gfleisher.blogspot.com

Guest garthzombie

Seems like this could be a popular thing offering to make content.

Is there somewhere online that a list can be stored that is accessible by everyone, and I can complete tasks one by one?

I guess basically what I am after is the ability to submit and complete taskes

Ah nice one, I see exactly now what you need.

Do you want that rusty or a little newer?

The best option would be something reskinnable, mostly using textures alredy found in the mod. The advantages are variety, and conserving memory when running the game. This is not an ironclad rule, though, just a convention.

About the demijohns, they exist in both half and full-weave types, and both would make useful additions to TDM. :)

WRT a model list, there used to be one, but I think it is severely outdated. Springheel might know what is currently a priority.

The best option would be something reskinnable, mostly using textures alredy found in the mod. The advantages are variety, and conserving memory when running the game. This is not an ironclad rule, though, just a convention.

I think the base texture could be one of our existing ones, so you can reskin it. But the photo has an interesting rust pattern on the item, it would be good if we had such a texture which could be applied as decal. Right now it is either "steel all the way" or "solid rust all over", which no "drip", or "rundown" patterns.

Such textures or skins alone would be very useful.

About the demijohns, they exist in both half and full-weave types, and both would make useful additions to TDM. :)

Absolutely :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

Guest garthzombie

OK I'll add to the top.

About reskinning, sorry if this is going to sound a little snobby, but it's pointless making custom content if you're just going to reskin it.

When I make custom content I make a specific high poly model to go with a low poly so the normals are all matching, and nice unique details. If you go ahead and reskin it you lose all the details and it generaly looks worse because you're using generic textures that aren't made for that specific object.

Are you guys shipping DDS files? Memory shouldn't be an issue, it's acceptable to have 500+ mb of texture memory in your level, this is considered pretty low these days.

EDIT I wanted to add something to my argument against tiling/generic textures on props. I've been making games professionally for a while now and what we tend to do is use tiling textures for world geometry and props for the most part have unique textures, especially something like this, because it has a unique shape.

Sometimes the rules are reversed, environment geometry can get unique textures and props can have tiling textures, but this is usually stuff like wood planks, crates, things that don't need to be unique because the detail generic.

Edited by garthzombie

OK I'll add to the top.

About reskinning, sorry if this is going to sound a little snobby, but it's pointless making custom content if you're just going to reskin it.

When I make custom content I make a specific high poly model to go with a low poly so the normals are all matching, and nice unique details. If you go ahead and reskin it you lose all the details and it generaly looks worse because you're using generic textures that aren't made for that specific object.

Are you guys shipping DDS files? Memory shouldn't be an issue, it's acceptable to have 500+ mb of texture memory in your level, this is considered pretty low these days.

EDIT I wanted to add something to my argument against tiling/generic textures on props. I've been making games professionally for a while now and what we tend to do is use tiling textures for world geometry and props for the most part have unique textures, especially something like this, because it has a unique shape.

Sometimes the rules are reversed, environment geometry can get unique textures and props can have tiling textures, but this is usually stuff like wood planks, crates, things that don't need to be unique because the detail generic.

I didn't want to tell you what to do, you probably know better than me :) I just mused about having (in addition, or re-usable) the rust pattern, because we lack textures with a punch and patterns. A lot of our base texures are just flat and uniform all over, and we do not have many decals to "grim" them up.

Yes, we ship (only) DDS. As for the memory, a lot of our players have older hardware, so 512 Mb VRAM cards do exist out there. Adding more textures that bad, it's just that I hoped we could improve the existing ones, so we can produce better results with the same set, instead of doubling it.

Also, on "skinning"; I was more talking about having two skins for this model - one heavily rusted, on more clean and maybe one oiled, black. And if the "rusting" is not baked into the same base texture, but an extra layer, you could apply this rust pattern to other models or even world geometry.

Not sure if it is possible, but while you are at it ;)

• About re-skinning, If you go ahead and reskin it you lose all the details and it generally looks worse because you're using generic textures that aren't made for that specific object.
  • Are you guys shipping DDS files?
  • Memory shouldn't be an issue, it's acceptable to have 500+ mb of texture memory in your level, this is considered pretty low these days.

• I wanted to add something to my argument against tiling/generic textures on props. I've been making games professionally for a while now and what we tend to do is use tiling textures for world geometry and props for the most part have unique textures, especially something like this, because it has a unique shape.
  • Sometimes the rules are reversed, environment geometry can get unique textures and props can have tiling textures, but this is usually stuff like wood planks, crates, things that don't need to be unique because the detail generic.

• We only change the diffuse texture so your normals would still be in-place. If you can supply either Springheel or myself the source textures files that you apply to your models we can then re-skin while keeping as close as possible to your original artistic intent.
  • Yes, I was able to cut your rock pack texture size in half.
  • Depends on the mission, but as an example my current wip sits at 360Mb when first loaded.But not all mission's will use this large amount.

• The reason we do it is to add verity, like the Melans furnace would not be rust were it in a noble home so we would use a cast iron or steel texture for it. One way I guess (I defer to your skill here) is to have dirt decals simulating ambient occlusion as a separate layer so we can change the diffuse (cast iron, grey steel and rusty) at will.
  • The issue we have is AAA games have a lovely harmonised pallet, as mappers we try to choose textures to blend well together in a scene and that includes choosing a skin of a model to suite its environment.

OK I'll add to the top.

Noted, and no, not snobby at all. Your wishes should be respected.

Guest garthzombie

Rational responses!

I was a bit worried I would've accidentally ruffled some feathers :)

I can easily supply you with PSDs after for sure.

But that's cool about everything! I made some candles today for someone else in the DOOM 3 community http://i.imgur.com/x4husVO.jpg I am just rendering out an animated flame to go with them.

They have an additive layer than can easily be modified to toggle on and off if used in a script.

Let me know if you would like these candles and I'll pack them up and email them to someone.

• Like 1

They look pretty cool to me...I was just thinking this morning that I'd like to get ahold of better candle particles too... :)

• They have an additive layer than can easily be modified to toggle on and off if used in a script.
  • Let me know if you would like these candles and I'll pack them up and email them to someone.

• as lit and unlit..?
  • Yes please, we can import these directly into tdm. A TDM entity can be made quite easily, so they can lit and unlit by the player.