The Dark Mod Forums

OpenGL perf. on AMD/ATi gpu's: WIP fix.

Bikerdude

[update]

Hi bikerdude

As I understand it, most of the issues have been resolved in the driver that is expected to be released shortly.

Amd

[update]
The Darkmod Issue is still being worked on. While the issue has been reproduced and identified, the solution is pretty complex and is taking longer than initially estimated. I’ve not been given a firm date for the fix but it should be in Q1 2015.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

As some of you may be aware I have trying to get to the bottom of the OpenGL perf issue that AMD/ATI card owners have with our mod (based on IDtech4), as in the game becomes slow and laggy with fps drops. The aformentioned perf drops would happen where either the Draw Call count hits 1500 (Doom3 vanilla max) or there are too many particles or overlapping lights in a scene etc. see thread -

- http://forums.thedar...n-atiamd-cards/

The more people that report this issue, the quicker we will be able to have a fix made available to us. Im in contact with AMD atm and once I have said driver update, I will post a copy of the driver for people to test and give feed back here.

So what would be helpfull is for anyone that has a HD5000 series or higher card to: Load up the training mission> go the archery range> and then while standing in front of the table near the entrance look down the range. Then post in this thread with the same details as below please.

Bikerdude

• Fps - 43
  • System - Radeon R9-290, corei5 2500k, 16Gb DDR3-1333, MSI z77 g43, SoundBlaster-Z, Win8.1 pro
  • Driver - Catalyst 14.9.1, w/stock settings.
  • Sreen res - 1680*1050
  • Settings - AAx2 & ASx8, VSYNC-off, Ambient Rendering-enhanced & Interaction shader-enhanced.

Hmart

• Fps - 32
  • System - Radeon HD5770x2 , corei7 860 2.8GHz, 8Gb DDR3 dual channel NBF 2407.5MHz, ASUSTeK P7P55 WS , SoundBlaster Audigy 4, Win7 X64
  • Driver - Catalyst 14.4, w/stock settings.
  • Sreen res - 1920*1080
  • Settings - ASx8, VSYNC-off, Ambient Rendering-enhanced & Interaction shader-enhanced.

Ralle321

• Fps - 29
  • System - Radeon HD7850, Core 2 Duo E8400, 4Gb DDR2-800, Gigabyte GA-EP45 DS3, Sound Blaster Audigy, Win7 Ultimate x64
  • Driver - Catalyst 14.9, w/stock settings
  • Screen res - 1920*1200
  • Settings - AAx2 & ASx8, VSYNC-on, Ambient Rendering-enhanced & Interaction shader-enhanced

Skina

• Fps - 20
  • System - Radeon HD5650, Aspire 5552G-P544G32Mnkk, Athlon II P340, 4Gb DDR3, Ubuntu 12.04.5
  • Screen res - 1366*768
  • Settings - AAx2 & ASx8, VSYNC-on, Ambient Rendering-enhanced & Interaction shader-enhanced

Kyyrma

• FPS: 43
  • System: Radeon R9 280, Intel Core i5-3750k 3.40Ghz, 8gb DDR3-1666, Asrock H61M-HVS, Windows 7 Home Premium
  • Driver: Catalyst 14.9 w/stock settings
  • Screen resolution: 1920 x 1080
  • Settings: AAx2, ASx8, V-Sync Off, Ambient Rendering-enhanced & Interaction shader-enhanced

SteveL

• Fps -- 47
  • System -- Radeon HD7800 4gb, core i7-3820, 16gb DDR3 1600MHz, Asus P9X79 pro intel x79, Sound ??? (maybe onboard?), Win7 Home sp1
  • Driver -- Catalyst 14.9 default settings
  • Screen res -- 1920x1080
  • Settings -- AAx2 ASx8, VSync off, Ambient rendering enhanced, Interaction shader enhanced

Xarg

• FPS: 47
  • System: Radeon 7870 2gb, Core I7 2600k, 8gb ddr3-1600, Gigabyte p67 mobo, Win7 SP1
  • Catalyst version: 14.4
  • Screen resolution: 4320x900
  • Settings: AAx0, AFx1, Vsync Off, Ambient render and Interact shader Enhanced

Lowenz

• Fps - 40
  • System - Radeon HD 7850 1 GB, Intel i3 530 @3.8 GHz, 8 GB DDR3-1600, Gigabyte H55 UD3H, SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS, Win 7 SP1
  • Driver - Catalyst 14.9
  • Sreen res - 1680x1050
  • Settings - AA x1 & AF x16, V-Sync OFF, Ambient Rendering-enhanced & Interaction shader-enhanced

Bloomquest

• Fps - 40
  • System - R9 270X@ 1Ghz, FX 6300@ 4.5 GHZ, 8GB DDR3 1600MHz, SSD 120 GB, on Win7 sp1.
  • Catalyst version - 14.9
  • Settings - AAx4, AFx16, Vsync OFF, everything else on max (enhanced)

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's nowhere near the drawcall limit. He's found that performance is tanking on ATI hardware where the drawcall value is extremely low

and a much lower spec-ed Nvidia chip outperforms his brand new card.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Where is it located in the code?
He's found that performance is tanking on ATI hardware where the drawcall value is extremely low and a much lower spec-ed Nvidia GT 640 outperforms a R9-290.

Exactly, the issue is with the driver which is what is being looked at by AMD.

So what would be helpfull anyone that has a HD5000 series or higher card to load read the OP and post the requested details.

So what would be helpfull anyone that has a HD5000 series or higher card...

I'll follow those instructions when I get home Thursday. I'm not sure I can make an independent report to amd. The reason your report was so persuasive is that you were able to compare their card against an older nvidia under controlled conditions. Not something most of us can do!

Btw, try using older drivers. Sometimes old drivers do wonders. That could be of help to AMD team and help pinpointing where they made a mess.
Makes no difference, and on an R9-290 there is only so far back you can go. If you dont have an ATi/AMD please reply in one of the other threads, ta.

Crossfire HD5770 (not sure if crossfire is enabled in TDM)

• Fps - 32
  • System - Radeon HD5770x2 , corei7 860 2.8GHz, 8Gb DDR3 dual channel NBF 2407.5MHz, ASUSTeK P7P55 WS , SoundBlaster Audigy 4, Win7 X64
  • Driver - Catalyst 14.4, w/stock settings.
  • Sreen res - 1920*1080
  • Settings - ASx8, VSYNC-off, Ambient Rendering-enhanced & Interaction shader-enhanced.

Crossfire presents other issues in and of itself as I'm sure you're aware.

If you run the game in windowed mode it should only use your primary card by itself though that may present separate issues from full-screen mode.

Edited by Lux

• Fps - 29
  • System - Radeon HD7850, Core 2 Duo E8400, 4Gb DDR2-800, Gigabyte GA-EP45 DS3, Sound Blaster Audigy, Win7 Ultimate x64
  • Screen res - 1920*1200
  • Settings - AAx8 & ASx16, VSYNC-on, Ambient Rendering-enhanced & Interaction shader-enhanced

Additionally i made an interesting observation: my minimum fps in that area were 19 and when i turned off aa the minfps changed to 14, which absolutely makes no sense to me. :blink:

• Fps - 20
  • System - Radeon HD5650, Aspire 5552G-P544G32Mnkk, Athlon II P340, 4Gb DDR3, Ubuntu 12.04.5
  • Screen res - 1366*768
  • Settings - AAx8 & ASx16, VSYNC-on, Ambient Rendering-enhanced & Interaction shader-enhanced

Here you go:

• FPS: 39
  • System: Radeon R9 280, Intel Core i5-3750k 3.40Ghz, 8gb DDR3-1666, Asrock H61M-HVS, Windows 7 Home Premium
  • Driver: Catalyst 14.9 w/stock settings
  • Screen resolution: 1920 x 1080
  • Settings: AAx8, ASx16, V-Sync Off, Ambient Rendering-enhanced & Interaction shader-enhanced

Also thanks for looking into this.

Btw, Doom 3 engine (and TDM engine likewise) is CPU bound, optimized for Intel. So the higher resolution and the lower CPU clock (especially for AMD CPUs), the lower fps will be. It seems like it doesn't have much to do with GPU.

AAx8 and anisotropic filtering murder performance in Doom 3 too.

Edited by motorsep

• Fps -- 43
  • System -- Radeon HD7800 4gb, core i7-3820, 16gb DDR3 1600MHz, Asus P9X79 pro intel x79, Sound ??? (maybe onboard?), Win7 Home sp1
  • Driver -- Catalyst 14.9 default settings
  • Screen res -- 1920x1080
  • Settings -- AAx8 ASx16, VSync off, Ambient rendering enhanced, Interaction shader enhanced

Thanks from me too Biker!!

• Fps ~34 (with "preferred maximum performance")
  • System -- Nvidia GeForce 670 GTX 2Gb, AMD Penom x3 2.2Ghz, 8Gb DDR, xfx 750a, Sound: Asus Xonar D1, Win 7 Pro 64bit
  • Driver -- Nvidia's latest release
  • Screen res -- 1920x1200
  • Settings -- AAx8 ASx8, VSync off

Note, Nvidia. As I said, it's not all AMD. It's also engine being CPU bound.

Edited by motorsep

• Fps -- 27

As I said, it's not all AMD. It's also engine being CPU bound.

Go into the nvidia control panel and check the "power management mode" and set it to 'preferred maximum performance', if it was adaptive you'll get a massice increase in FPS. Some gpu/driver combinations mean that TDM isnt detected correctly, for example on my GTX970 with the 344.11 driver, with PMM set to adaptive the driver was correctly detecting TDM was running and my FPS was half what it should have been etc.nVidia have since fixed that in the latest driver 344.48.

Go into the nvidia control panel and check the "power management mode" and set it to 'preferred maximum performance', if it was adaptive you'll get a massice increase in FPS. Some gpu/driver combinations mean that TDM isnt detected correctly, for example on my GTX970 with the 344.11 driver, with PMM set to adaptive the driver was correctly detecting TDM was running and my FPS was half what it should have been etc.nVidia have since fixed that in the latest driver 344.48.

Did that, edited my entry. Still, fps is no better than for AMD folks.