The Dark Mod Forums

OpenGL perf. on AMD/ATi gpu's: WIP fix.

Bikerdude

By the way, how did you get in touch with AMD about TDM issue? I might need to get with them about our engine performing horribly under Win 8 / 8.1 on some AMD GPUs.

I started but logging a suport call, which wasnt very productive. The support guy I had been speaking to on said support call then passed my details onto another/higher support team, then someone from that team contacted me. After I help that person get out engine up and running on thier PC so he could confirm the perf issue, he then passed the call onto the driver engineering team.

But as your engine is the pretty much the same as ours you may as well wait for the fix AMD are working to be released Q1 2015.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand why you keep saying Nvidia runs at 60 fps on max out settings, when in reality it does not. I have GF 670GTX and I posted my results in this thread. It's nowhere near to be close to 60 fps.

I got 19 fps

1600x900

0xAA

8xAF

Post Process on high

Everything highest

i3 2120

GeForce 300 (G92B) OEM

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

My posts becomes nice off-topic.

Can admin cut it all out into new topic, please?

Tried what You guys suggested, but there is no point.

Changed my X conf to Glamour (while ago, and i got about 8-9FPS).

Turned everything off, and... my FPS dropped for about 3FPS =/.

Me not get it.

Can anyone upload here the lowest config possible for TDM?

If i won't get more than 15 FPS, there is no point looking until some real fix...

Well there has just been another major driver release from AMD, Catalyst Omega. No word on weither a fix for The Darkmod is present in this driver, so can people do some testing please.

Whats new:

• Virtual Super Resolution (VSR)
  • AMD Fluid Motion Video
  • Performance Optimizations for Gaming on Discrete GPUs
  • Contour Removal
  • 1080P Detail Enhancement
  • FullHD to UltraHD Video
  • 5K panel Support
  • Frame Pacing Enhancements
  • Performace Optimizations for Gaming on APUs

Supported Products:

Desktop

• AMD Radeon R9 290 Series
  • AMD Radeon R5 230 Series
  • AMD Radeon R9 280 Series
  • AMD Radeon HD 8000 Series
  • AMD Radeon R9 270 Series
  • AMD Radeon HD 7000 Series
  • AMD Radeon R7 260 Series
  • AMD Radeon HD 6000 Series
  • AMD Radeon R7 250 Series
  • AMD Radeon R7 240 Series
  • ATI Radeon HD 5000 Series

All-In-One Desktop

• AMD Radeon HD 7600A Series
  • AMD Radeon HD 6600A Series
  • AMD Radeon HD 7450A Series
  • AMD Radeon HD 6350A Series

Embedded

• AMD Radeon E8860
  • AMD Radeon E6460
  • AMD Radeon E6760

APU

• Desktop
    • A-Series AMD Radeon R7 Graphics
    • A-Series AMD Radeon R6 Graphics
    • A-Series AMD Radeon R5 Graphics
    • A-Series AMD Radeon R3 Graphics
    • AMD Radeon HD 8000D Series
    • AMD Radeon HD 7000D Series
    • AMD Radeon HD 6000D Series

[*]Mobile

• AMD Radeon HD 8000G Series
    • AMD Radeon HD 7000G Series
    • AMD Radeon HD 6000G Series

Mobility

• AMD Radeon R9 M200 Series
  • AMD Radeon HD 7000M Series
  • AMD Radeon R7 M200 Series
  • AMD Radeon HD 6000M Series
  • AMD Radeon R5 M200 Series
  • AMD Radeon HD 8000M Series
  • ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5000 Series

• 5 weeks later...

Any news on this?

I have my reservation about AMD ever fixing OpenGL driver. There is no incentive for them to do so, since 99% of AAA games run on DX9/10/11. Consoles use their own API or DX. So why should they fix it ? For my game I decided to drop official AMD support until AMD gets their head out of their ass, or until we implement ANGLE (OpenGL to DX11 wrapper) specifically to be used by AMD users on Windows.

Any news on this?

I have my reservation about AMD ever fixing OpenGL driver. There is no incentive for them to do so, since 99% of AAA games run on DX9/10/11. Consoles use their own API or DX. So why should they fix it ?

OpenGL isn't just for games. Almost all professional visual effects and rendering applications (like After Effects, Nuke etc) are using OpenGL. Of course this particular issue may not affect those applications, but I don't see AMD abandoning OpenGL support unless they want to kill off their FireGL FirePro line and leave the professional market altogether.

OpenGL isn't just for games. Almost all professional visual effects and rendering applications (like After Effects, Nuke etc) are using OpenGL. Of course this particular issue may not affect those applications, but I don't see AMD abandoning OpenGL support unless they want to kill off their FireGL FirePro line and leave the professional market altogether.

It does affect Blender at least - I don't know if it affects anything else, since most of the 3D apps use DX on Windows.

• Just checked Steam Hardware survey, and Nvidia + Intel make up 71% of PC gamers on Steam.
  • So maybe it's not that bad to give up on AMD ?
  • Thats because nvidia/intel setups just work, and work well.
  • If AMD want to gain market share they are gonna have to step up, and fixing the long standing driver bug in the drivers with the IDtech4 engine is a big step in the right direction.

Staying on the subject of AMD, it looks like I am gonna have to long another tech support call. I just upgraded my media PC to a 970A chipset mobo and because I am forced to use WinXP with a CRT via YbPbPr (component video) and have an SSD installed, I have discovered that the chipset driver either doestn support TRIM under Xp (which is not acceptable as TRIM worked on my old intel X38 mobo via Samsung Magician) or isnt passing TRIM commands to the drive. Samsung Magician wont even recognise the SSD drive now.

I considered migrating to linux (which would give me TRIM support and no HDCP/DRM display res. restriction) but I found it impossible to get a display driver installed let alone see if if it would work correctly over YbPbPr.

Logged (8200621722), now lets see if AMD will come through for me on the mobo chipset driver front aswell :-)

Just checked Steam Hardware survey, and Nvidia + Intel make up 71% of PC gamers on Steam. So maybe it's not that bad to give up on AMD ?

Thats because everyone and their mother has a laptop and almost all inexpensive laptops come with Intel or VIA graphics, not to talk about the Dual Gpu's laptops that have a low end crap Intel GPU for energy saving and a better AMD or Nvidia GPU for gaming, more times than not steam is perhaps detecting the low end GPU, steam is also a place for high end and low end games so no wonder Intel is strong on it, but intel is crap at games especially the ones using next gen graphics and their drivers are even worse than those of AMD, so if you want to cut yourself short, have to deal with intel graphics and their lack of support and more importantly lose a big chunk of market because AMD is one of the biggest GPU's makers around (that has GPU's exclusively on all the new consoles) and the second most popular for high end gaming around, then go for it.

Yes AMD gpu's aren't so nice on idtech has Nvidia, but you also have to give thanks to id for that.

• Thats because nvidia/intel setups just work, and work well.

I add (it was stolen) a Dual GPU laptop with a Intel and Nvidia GPU and games were running bad on it, i blamed the Nvidia GPU until i realised games were using the Intel GPU instead, the software that should have enabled automatically the Nvidia GPU for games was not doing its work properly so i add to do it manually, after that games worked much better. So saying Intel GPU's just work and work well is misleading and imo wrong, yes they work for internet, video, office and low to middle end gaming but anything does that even AMD and Nvidia low end options.

Edited by HMart

Yes AMD gpu's aren't so nice on idtech has Nvidia, but you also have to give thanks to id for that.

That's entirely AMD's fault for crappy OpenGL driver. We have internal timers that show time spent on rendering/logic/etc. and on AMD, render backend timer goes red. Render back end is the one that does with renderer<>driver interaction. It works on Intel, it works on Nvidia, but doesn't quite work on AMD. And I am positive it would not be an issue with DX renderer. So we need to "thank" AMD who never wanted to fix OpenGL driver.

Fun fact - apparently R9 models don't have that issue and run as well as on Nvidia (at least for BFG engine). I am tempted to buy R9 270X for testing purposes. I recall R9 is the architecture used in current consoles.

If it comes down to either lose non-R9 AMD crowd or dropping/switching engine and potentially never releasing the game, I'd rather lose AMD crowd. My hope is for either AMD fixing it in the driver, or R9 becoming widely spread in the next 2 years, so that I don't have to worry much about pre-R9 AMD GPUs :)

Fun fact - apparently R9 models don't have that issue and run as well as on Nvidia (at least for BFG engine). I am tempted to buy R9 270X for testing purposes. I recall R9 is the architecture used in current consoles.

Er no, when I logged the call with AMD I had an R9-290.

I add (it was stolen) a Dual GPU laptop with a Intel and Nvidia GPU and games were running bad on it, i blamed the Nvidia GPU until i realised games were using the Intel GPU instead, the software that should have enabled automatically the Nvidia GPU for games was not doing its work properly so i add to do it manually, after that games worked much better. So saying Intel GPU's just work and work well is misleading and imo wrong, yes they work for internet, video, office and low to middle end gaming but anything does that even AMD and Nvidia low end options.

Intel GPUs are perfect for pre-DX8 games :P

And no, it's not a joke, they still support today 8bit-paletted textures so much used in DX5-6-7 era.

Edited by lowenz

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.