The Dark Mod Forums

Intense Stories and quality [What is darkmod]

Filizitas

Most fms i played does not fit the Thief way i like - all the 2014 missions were pretty good but still the immersion is lacking, i mean u all hopely played thief series so u know a nice way of telling a good thief story.

Thief 4 is more Action like but i guess I WOULD REALY ENJOY IT - cause its more about doing things then collecting things.

I dont want to offent with the fanmission creators, cause i watched in DarkRadiant tool and know how much work u did. So no worries about your hard work here.

But i think we are losing our selves to much in "stealing things" and "sneaking around" where is the intense story? Where are the nice steampunk robots? Where is the big city? The exploranation? All the Fanmissions are just... one level with exactly only one Goal. And u always do it on the same way.

Im realy looking forward for "crucible of omens" hopely my dream of a thief like universum in darkmod style will come true! *.*

Lets discuss about quality and storytelling inside Fanmissions!

And still, no offend against FM Creators, u r doing a good job and TDM creators too! Thx for this great mod i realy enjoy it!

Edited by Filizitas

Can we have more scary Zombie Horror maps?

But i think we are losing our selves to much in "stealing things" and "sneaking around" where is the intense story?

People value things differently. Some people create purely narrative-driven games, basically just using this engine to create something that has nothing to do with thievery. You seem to value that kind of "gameplay" more, while I prefer a game with a thiefsy meta: a mission with something to do and stuff to steal rather than a domestic to watch. The dark atmosphere is what makes the game what it is, and very, very few missions are lacking a moody and often macabre tone to them. Some will just have you break into a place to steal things and others will put a backstory to it, while others will put what I believe to be too much effort into their context and almost forget to make a mission that's fun to play. I'm of the belief that games should put gameplay first, with a good story being a welcome surprise. The mood ties in with the gameplay, but an actual narrative tends to detract from the quality of the gameplay should a lone FM creator get tied up in it. It's all a balance, and if you're working on your own you'll tend to drift towards your preferred side of the spectrum of story and gameplay.

tl;dr story and gameplay are not mutually exclusive but one will be favored as per the preference of the creator. I prefer gameplay, because I can read a book for story and own plenty of narrative-based games that are devoid of the relatively unique thieving meta. So long as there's a decently immersive atmosphere I don't care whose shinies I'm stealing, nor why or for whom. At the end of the day, only you truly know your preference. If you have a specific type of preferred mission in mind that you've yet to see, you may as well go make it because AFAIK there aren't too many mind readers in the community.

• Like 2

So i have found a very good example to my words: Im playing the "Shadowcurse Requim" mission and its really what im talking about.

@Airship Ballet a good example for your words is the new Alien isolation, while the gameplay is pretty lame the Story works pretty well. The Alien is as always ultra scary and the story has the most of Ridleyelements. But i hate this game, cauise the gameplay is bad :( So both things are Important but i guess in short one way FMs its hard to create such Dynamics... Would there be a way to get a FM bigger then just one level, a way to add more game/story elements.

I would prefer to actually visit Traders in the street and do Optional Missions. Also i would like to see a World changing after missions like all the thief games does. I mena it cant be always night XD

It's all a balance, and if you're working on your own you'll tend to drift towards your preferred side of the spectrum of story and gameplay.

This was my first thought as well after reading the OP.

A team provides a variety of talents: art, level-making, code, models, animations, story, packaging, etc.

A lone author isn't going to be good in all those areas. Apart from Crucible, and a few small number of collaborations, the bulk of TDM missions are made by a single person, learning as they go.

So some fan missions will lean toward art and ambiance, some will lean toward scripting and pushing the boundaries, some toward story, etc.

We each have our favorite missions, and our tastes vary enough that I'm sure all to date have found a home in someone's heart.

As AB said, if you have a certain type of mission in mind and you're so inclined, we'd love to see it made. Perhaps others will follow in your footsteps.

• Like 2

I dont want to offent with the fanmission creators

Then maybe you shouldn't start your first post on the board with how you're "mad" because the fan missions are "just little Techdemos".

Then maybe you shouldn't start your first post on the board with how you're "mad" because the fan missions are "just little Techdemos".

I overhyped it with the start... recreating my sentence.

Edited by Filizitas

Wouldnt the Editor be so complex i would give it a try and do a FM... I handled so many editors and engines but the DR tool is pretty to much XD

No tool is hard or complex if enough time is put into it, and DarkRadiant is no more complex than say Unreal Engine editor, Source Engine Editor, Cryengine editor, etc, what editors have you used in the past?

About the missions quality, this are fan missions made by a single person like you, something like you want needs many man hours (years) by a team of developers, you will need to wait for the TDM campaign in the making (will come when done) for that in the mean time enjoy the fan missions they have more juice in them then just stealing.

Edited by HMart

Just in this moment im looking for a Tutorial for the Radiant, do not think im just throwing words :D im intrested to try it cause i really like creating things like thos.

Before discovering this forum and mod I had never touched a 3D editor before but with lots of practice, learning and encouragement from fellow TDMers I feel pretty happy with how my current mapping skills are. I'm also terrible at learning so if I can do it i'm sure anyone can ;)

It all started from this wiki article which I highly recommend reading as an entry point http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=A_-_Z_Beginner_Full_Guide_Start_Here!

And if you ever get stuck feel free to drop a question in the newbie thread http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/9082-newbie-darkradiant-questions

• Like 1

I would prefer to actually visit Traders in the street and do Optional Missions. Also i would like to see a World changing after missions like all the thief games does. I mena it cant be always night XD

1. In-game shop is possible. I don't think it's ever going to add much value to anything other than a massive mission.

2. Mappers can and have made optional objectives. The player is in charge of deciding how accomplished to feel (completing all optional objectives, getting all the loot, no kills, no blackjacks, ghosting, no saves, etc.)

3. There are some daylight missions and at least one sunset/dusk mission. Reap as you sow. There's also Awaiting the Storm, a rain mission. Don't expect to see many daylight missions. I don't know if any missions change scenery/time within the mission.

• Like 2

The first point is a massive :3 As u said-massive mission. Campaign is done when its done!

2. Deciding is not Optional for me, im talking about other missions inside a Big Mission. But i get your Point, i saw those Optionals and they are doing a job probably.

thx

I agree with what Grayman said. Different authors have different strengths, not to mention that in a commercial game several people work on the different aspect of such a product.

Some people like grayman, springheel or rpgista are good in telling stories, others like bikerdude or melan are good in visuals etc...

Not to mention that not everyone is that interested in a good story as you are. For me, when creating a mission, the story is only some sort of a red line to give the player a sense for what he is doing, or to "hide" some informations into. I mainly focus on gameplay, because this is what I like about games and this is what I can do best imho. Why should I care about anything else?

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter