Photo

Briarwood Cathedral

• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

Poll: Briarwood Cathedral (40 member(s) have cast votes)

Gameplay: Enjoyment. Fun factor. Smooth Flow, ect. Versus bugs, Frustration, Boredom, framelag.

1. Poor (1 votes [2.44%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.44%

2. Tolerable (2 votes [4.88%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.88%

3. Good (15 votes [36.59%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 36.59%

4. Excellent (17 votes [41.46%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 41.46%

5. Near Perfect (6 votes [14.63%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 14.63%

Appearance: Visual pleasure, lighting, visual style, deduct for bad texturing, etc.

1. Poor (1 votes [2.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.50%

2. Tolerable (2 votes [5.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.00%

3. Good (17 votes [42.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 42.50%

4. Excellent (17 votes [42.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 42.50%

5. Near Perfect (3 votes [7.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.50%

Story and Text: Story, Text, Briefing. Graphic storytelling.

1. Poor (1 votes [2.44%] - View)

2. Tolerable (1 votes [2.44%] - View)

3. Good (16 votes [39.02%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 39.02%

4. Excellent (23 votes [56.10%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 56.10%

5. Near Perfect (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 buck28

buck28

• PipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 04:52 PM

POPULAR

Halloween Speed build Contest Entry: Briarwood Cathedral 10/29/2014 Version 1
Author: Buck28
Beta Testers: Airship Ballet and l84work
approximate build time 7-8 weeks

I met a pal of mine at a local watering hole. Ole' Freedo has news about the Briarwood Cathedral out on Waterford Island. Seems a lot has been going on that is on the Supernatural side?
I find that hard to believe, but it might give me an edge to loot the place. There is also a rumor of old Spanish, Pirate treasure. Since tonight is All Hallows Eve, It's as good of a night that I could ask for.
Let's see what Briarwood has to offer.
Corso

http://www64.zippysh...05489/file.html Link to Mission

http://www64.zippysh...58668/file.html Link to screen shots

This is my second mission. I am still a newbie. I hope you have fun. Save often.
Thanks, enjoy!
Buck: :D

Edited by buck28, 02 November 2014 - 10:51 AM.

• Melan, SiyahParsomen, Dragofer and 10 others like this
Quando omni flunkus moritati" ("When all else fails, play dead")
Halloween Contest Winner 2014

#2 VanishedOne

VanishedOne

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 819 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 08:03 PM

This turned out quite a bit more ambitious than it seemed at first. :smile: To begin with I wasn't all that keen (except on the windows, which look gorgeous from inside): there's some stange collision outside the building (low stone you can't stand on and bushes you can), and it was annoying to investigate the well, only to realise the mapper must have intended it as an exit, not an alternative entry point. But once I started finding readables to give more context to what I was doing, and found how much there was to explore, I had a lot of fun.

One little detail I liked was the brother with the risque painting in his footlocker.

Was Letch a typo for Lich? I couldn't make sense of it otherwise.

Spoiler

A couple of bugs: one of the stockade keys showed in the inventory as something like stockade key1, and for some reason I had to dance around the exit point quite a bit before the mission would end.
  • eehmuwlz likes this

Some things I'm repeatedly thinking about...

- louder scream when you're dying

#3 Melan

Melan

Contest Winner, Wordsmith

• Campaign Dev
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4415 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 02:51 AM

New mission! New mission!!!! :ph34r:
  • buck28 likes this
Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

#4 buck28

buck28

• PipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 06:53 AM

@VanishedOne

Spoiler

Don't know about the dancing around at the end? I've played a thousand times and it ends fine for me? :ph34r:

Edited by buck28, 30 October 2014 - 06:57 AM.

#5 VanishedOne

VanishedOne

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 819 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 10:26 AM

@VanishedOne

Spoiler

Spoiler

A quick test suggests that it may be possible to bypass the exit zone by hugging the iron fence to the left after passing through the gate.

Edited by VanishedOne, 30 October 2014 - 10:34 AM.

Some things I'm repeatedly thinking about...

- louder scream when you're dying

#6 buck28

buck28

• PipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 11:32 AM

@VanishedOne
Spoiler

Edited by buck28, 30 October 2014 - 11:32 AM.

#7 SirGen

SirGen

• PipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 09:46 PM

Oh awesome! I loved your last fan mission! The perfect entertainment for a Halloween night. Thanks Buck :D
  • buck28 likes this

Alberic is my sparring partner.

Whaddya mean, smiley faces aren't punctuation :huh:

#8 Cookie

Cookie

• PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 09:08 AM

Seems like I am the first to vote here...

Nevertheless, awesome FM, the improvement to your first one is huge, I really enjoyed it.
Only a voiced intro/character and more detailed outskirts could have given this one a better rating, great work.

Edited by Cookie, 01 November 2014 - 09:59 AM.

#9 buck28

buck28

• PipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 10:00 AM

@Cookie

Posted Today, 09:08 AM
Seems like I am the first to vote here...

Nevertheless, awesome FM, the improvement to your first one is huge, I really enjoyed it.
Only voiced intro/character and more detailed outskirts could have given this one a better rating, great work.

Yes, I'm surprised by the lack of comment.
I'm glad you enjoyed it. I was not able to get more involved, as it was a speed build contest.
Thanks for playing and your vote and comments. :D

Edited by buck28, 01 November 2014 - 10:03 AM.

#10 SteveL

SteveL

Hero Coder

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3669 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 12:16 PM

Wow, did you do all this since your first mission was released? That was fast and it's an incredible jump in skill! Loving the way the sound and visuals come together -- the dark and stormy night, and the industrial clatter in the forge and boiler. The exterior is a bit plain but you more than make up for it inside.

I'm not finished yet, but the scale is so much bigger than I was expecting. I thought I'd play it in the couple of hours I have before setting off on hols for a week but I've only got about 30 mins left and I just fell foul of something nasty that I think I suggested how to set up :angry: so I should have known better! The detail downstairs is excellent. The dungeons and forge area are second to none. It's challenging too. I'm being forced to use my water arrows and the odd blackjack and to open doors a crack to peek -- nice touch. There are a lot of nice little touches. All the keys hidden where they ought to be are constant little sources of satisfaction :) This is incredible quality job for a speed build. It's really well fleshed out with detail and all the readables etc. Nice work!

Now back in to use up my last 20 mins :ph34r:
  • Anderson and buck28 like this

#11 Anderson

Anderson

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 12:25 PM

I'll try it out, thank you.
  • buck28 likes this

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

#12 buck28

buck28

• PipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 12:44 PM

@SteveL
Thank you very much.
Yes the outside is not as I'd like, but I haven't learned how to do a skybox, or cube map yet. There is a lot I have yet to learn. I can't even do a script yet. :unsure:
I did what I could in the time frame. I'm glad you enjoyed it. That makes me happy.
Hopefully my next venture will have a new and improved exterior.
Thanks again. :D

#13 Oldjim

Oldjim

Uber tester

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2021 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 04:09 PM

Played through on the hardest setting - ghosted with no knockouts because it was too easy otherwise
Statistics at the end showed one kill - I shouldn't have killed that spider :D - and only missed about 300 loot
Only one thing annoyed me - the various guards/skeletons etc. were stationary too long which is a pain when you need to wait for them to move so that you can sneak past
Otherwise a nice little mission although I never did find the keys for the doors in the catacombs which weren't pickable
A question near the start
Spoiler

Just realised - a shouldn't have called it little as it was much larger than I expected.
One suggestion - change the trigger for finding the pirates treasure from finding the chest to getting all the loot out

Edited by Oldjim, 01 November 2014 - 04:18 PM.

#14 buck28

buck28

• PipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 08:35 AM

@Oldjim

Spoiler

Thanks for playing and your comments. :)

Edited by buck28, 02 November 2014 - 08:39 AM.

#15 Lux

Lux

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1575 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 09:08 AM

Spoiler

Wow! Great FM, Halloween contest or not! What a great entrant in the contest, a lot of fun and vERy creepy near the end. I was playing in the morning darkness >dawn and I still got occasional chills up my spine.

Spoiler

Really well done from the detail inside the cathedral and the lower areas, the audio was really really good also. I ended up knocking out everyone I could and exploring everywhere I could though I didn't

Spoiler

I thought everything else was very well-thought-out and pulled the player in to the experience and atmosphere including the story which you got to piece together bit by bit building tension.

And yeah, with the time constaints on the contest I wasn't expecting anything nearly a large as this FM is but all the areas tie in nicely and all of them are well realized and work in unison to make the FM feel complete.

Very well done and congrats on your second FM release! A really great Halloween mission entry and I'd be shocked if this didn't take the cake. :)

Oldjim
Spoiler

Edited by Lux, 02 November 2014 - 09:14 AM.

• SteveL likes this

#16 buck28

buck28

• PipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 09:35 AM

@Lux

Thank you very much. I'm glad you enjoyed it. Yes, since I don't know how to do a skybox, and don't know how to do scripts, my missions will not rank up there wih the team members. If I would've had more time. The outside was going to be worked on, I don't like the tall walls either.

Spoiler

Thanks again and thanks for your help with questions. :D

Edited by buck28, 02 November 2014 - 09:39 AM.

#17 Anderson

Anderson

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 11:52 AM

Good mission. Love the style you went for. Nice lightning and especially sounds!

Things that could be improved: the well near the church seems impossible to get out of. At least I had problems with it, the detection of my attempt to jump out of it (off of that rope) doesn't seem to work and I bounce back down.
  • buck28 likes this

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

#18 pwl

pwl

• PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 01:03 PM

Very good mission a lot to explorer and that is what a thief is supposed to do!!

Hope to play more of your missions soon!
  • buck28 likes this

#19 Oldjim

Oldjim

Uber tester

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2021 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 01:15 PM

Thanks for the tips
Spoiler

Edited by Oldjim, 02 November 2014 - 02:48 PM.

• buck28 likes this

#20 buck28

buck28

• PipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 01:38 PM

@Anderson

Things that could be improved: the well near the church seems impossible to get out of. At least I had problems with it, the detection of my attempt to jump out of it (off of that rope) doesn't seem to work and I bounce back down

Spoiler

Hope you liked it. Thanks for playing :excl:

#21 buck28

buck28

• PipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 01:41 PM

@pwl

Posted Today, 01:03 PM
Very good mission a lot to explorer and that is what a thief is supposed to do!!

Hope to play more of your missions soon!

Thank you. I need to learn some more things before I release another. But I will. ;)

#22 Anderson

Anderson

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 02:15 PM

@Anderson

Spoiler

Hope you liked it. Thanks for playing :excl:

Yes! It's great. Somewhat reminiscent of "The Overlook Mansion" from Thief Deadly Shadows with that thunder going on. Nice job.
  • buck28 likes this

#23 Lux

Lux

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1575 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 02:21 PM

Spoiler

Actually I rEALly went backwards because I explored all around the outer area without going in the church first of all and went
Spoiler

• buck28 likes this

#24 AluminumHaste

AluminumHaste

Darkmod Contributor

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5964 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 11:34 AM

Pretty cool mission, keeps going and going. Lots of locked doors I can't get into in the crypt area. I do have some screenshots for Moddb, just have to get some more tonight.

I'm glad people are starting to use those stained glass windows I spent all that time working on.
  • buck28 likes this

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

#25 Thieving Barbarian

Thieving Barbarian

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 12:52 PM

Is this going to be added to the ingame downloader soon? The zippyshare site isn't working for me, the download button does nothing (on Firefox/Linux).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users