Photo

Briarwood Cathedral

• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

Poll: Briarwood Cathedral (40 member(s) have cast votes)

Gameplay: Enjoyment. Fun factor. Smooth Flow, ect. Versus bugs, Frustration, Boredom, framelag.

1. Poor (1 votes [2.44%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.44%

2. Tolerable (2 votes [4.88%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.88%

3. Good (15 votes [36.59%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 36.59%

4. Excellent (17 votes [41.46%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 41.46%

5. Near Perfect (6 votes [14.63%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 14.63%

Appearance: Visual pleasure, lighting, visual style, deduct for bad texturing, etc.

1. Poor (1 votes [2.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.50%

2. Tolerable (2 votes [5.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.00%

3. Good (17 votes [42.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 42.50%

4. Excellent (17 votes [42.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 42.50%

5. Near Perfect (3 votes [7.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.50%

Story and Text: Story, Text, Briefing. Graphic storytelling.

1. Poor (1 votes [2.44%] - View)

2. Tolerable (1 votes [2.44%] - View)

3. Good (16 votes [39.02%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 39.02%

4. Excellent (23 votes [56.10%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 56.10%

5. Near Perfect (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#76 buck28

buck28

• PipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 07:55 AM

@Elentarien

Spoiler

Thanks for playing, and I hope you had fun!
Quando omni flunkus moritati" ("When all else fails, play dead")
Halloween Contest Winner 2014

#77 Elentarien

Elentarien

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 21 December 2014 - 01:59 AM

Thanks. That got it. ;)

Spoiler

All in all, fun mission, and the cathedral design inside was well done.

#78 MirceaKitsune

MirceaKitsune

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 12:43 PM

Played this yesterday. It was okay: Detail was fine, the map was large enough, and it had a bit of a creepy effect. I finished the objectives rather quickly however, and pretty much ended the mission before I got a chance to find all secret keys and unlock the remaining doors.

#79 buck28

buck28

• PipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 01:49 PM

Forget it.

Edited by buck28, 22 December 2014 - 05:42 PM.

#80 Airship Ballet

Airship Ballet

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1490 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 02:43 PM

Firstly, it was MirceaKitsune, and secondly you should be prepared for harsh criticism of your map. Ask why and where people disliked subjective things and ask where and how they broke categorically broken things. Freaking out about it is neither appropriate nor constructive. Sure nobody wants harsh criticism, but if the only way to keep you mapping is by a circle-jerk in your honor, you're not doing it for the right reasons.

• AluminumHaste likes this

#81 MirceaKitsune

MirceaKitsune

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 02:47 PM

Whoever voted and said that the gameplay was just Tolerable; I would like them to give me the names of the mission's that they have built, so I can play them.

It's people like that that make me want to put no further effort, or long hours into building a mission. Even if I played someone's mission, and totally hated it,

I would not make them feel bad with an idiotic vote like that. What an insult! :angry: 

I voted both Good and Tolerable for gameplay, since it allowed selecting multiple options... same way I chose both Good and Excellent for the story. I didn't know I'm the first to choose that option, since you can't see results before you vote. Like I said, I didn't feel that the gameplay is diverse enough, or that the trajectory of the player is as consistent as it should be. So the gameplay simply felt okay, and I wanted to give a vote in between... if I could only choose one option per field I would have likely chosen the middle one (good).

It really wasn't an insult though, nor saying the map is bad! It might be best to not have such an option, if you're sensitive to people selecting it. I think you're good at this and shouldn't feel discouraged at all. As for me, I haven't created any missions myself, since DarkRadiant is a nightmare to get working on Linux.

Edited by MirceaKitsune, 22 December 2014 - 02:50 PM.

#82 AluminumHaste

AluminumHaste

Darkmod Contributor

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6156 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 03:14 PM

LOL I remember when Shadowhide was going around voting 1/5 on every category for every map, and was just incredibly critical. If there was 1 issue with a portion of a map, like a misplaced texture on a stair, he would give it 1 star for visuals lol.

I have to say though, voting 2/5 for something should be accompanied by what you didn't like, and maybe suggestions on how to improve things. Useful criticism should always be welcome.

• Deadlove and Airship Ballet like this

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

#83 Nudnk

Nudnk

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 05:06 PM

Nicely done buck28 - good sized area to poke around with great visuals. Very enjoyable!

"When you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing; when you see that money is flowing to those who deal not in goods, but in favors; when you see that men get rich more easily by graft than by work, and your laws no longer protect you against them, but protect them against you, you may know that your society is doomed." - Ayn Rand

#84 buck28

buck28

• PipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 05:44 PM

@Nudnk

Thanks.

#85 MirceaKitsune

MirceaKitsune

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 06:52 PM

Nicely done buck28 - good sized area to poke around with great visuals. Very enjoyable!

Agreed... the map is nicely designed and of good quality, and has a few well varied areas: Outdoor, church main hall, church hallways (where the priests and guards sleep or work), and the underground area where the undead lie. The story is also clear and somewhat original... you can even find the coffins of the two dead priests, and see the grave which is being dug. So certainly there are good elements!

The gameplay just seemed too simple and perhaps a little unfinished. Maybe because I expected something special to happen once completing the obvious objectives... or because I finished the objectives without having to unlock a large portion of the map. Some maps make things more exciting or dynamic along the way, so maybe I got a little spoiled by that expectation. Don't let my slightly lower vote on the gameplay get you down buck28, you did quite good and overall I like this!

Edited by MirceaKitsune, 22 December 2014 - 06:53 PM.

#86 Petike the Taffer

Petike the Taffer

• PipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 03:31 PM

I still need to finish this mission, but I've enjoyed it so far. :smile:

#87 Petike the Taffer

Petike the Taffer

• PipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 02 January 2015 - 08:22 PM

I seem to be having the same problem as Elentarien.

And frankly, something tells me that you've underestimated the amount of readables we can find, buck, as the story pretty much ground to a halt once I went down into the catacombs and maintenance areas. :huh:  :unsure:  :huh: At least I couldn't find anything, and I've searched dilligently.

I know there must be some bigger mystery going on, given the enemy types I've encountered, but it just doesn't click together for me on a narrative level. I've read every single text above ground, found virtually none underground and it has left me baffled. Very little is explained and even some interesting and spooky parts of the mission end up as key hunts and item hunts.

Plus, one more, rather major criticism:
Exiting via the well is physically impossible. I've tried 20 different ways of climbing out of it once I've reached the surface, but no amount of rope climbing, mantling and jumping did the trick. There is just no way I can exit the well and I find it completely immersion breaking. It could have been such a cool ending to the whole mission, but being forced to retread through the interior instead, and all the way back to the front gates, really ruins the otherwise good impression I've had of the mission for 80 % of its duration so far. :unsure:

Oh, and... Does my tampering with the machinery in the basement amount to anything mission-wise, or is that just for the player to fool around with switches ? I just don't get it... I really hope I don't sound dense, but barely anything is explained in the second half of this mission. There aren't even enough visual connections for the player to figure out things on his own.

Sorry that I sound this disappointed, but I found the flow of the mission simply uneven, especially in its final stages.

Edited by Petike the Taffer, 02 January 2015 - 08:24 PM.

• Anderson likes this

#88 Anderson

Anderson

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 972 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 11:03 AM

Replayed this map a couple of days ago (for some reason).

Great choice of effects, the rain, the music and almost everything!

Only thing I wish there would be, is some effects of rain falling on the roof of the church, so that you can get a feeling that it's still raining outside, even if you're in a warmer place.

Spoiler

Edited by Anderson, 22 January 2015 - 11:03 AM.

• Petike the Taffer likes this

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

#89 Petike the Taffer

Petike the Taffer

• PipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 08:00 AM

Anderson, I have to agree with the contents of your spoiler. That particular section of the level was artistically very creative and immersive. Caught me off guard as well, in the best way possible. Shame for all the other flaws I've mentioned. They're small, but they ruin the good bits of the mission for me.

• Anderson likes this

#90 Apiai

Apiai

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 02:05 PM

I've just finished your map. It was really nice, good work \o/

I've had a little bug i think : one of the enemy of the catacombs was invisible.

His voice was the same as red clothes skeleton and I was only able to see his shadow (very cool effect by the way)

I've played with TDM 2.03, I'd like to know if it is a bug related to TDM...?

Edited by Apiai, 20 February 2015 - 02:09 PM.

#91 Maethius

Maethius

• PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 03:21 PM

I don't get to play games much these days, but when I do, I play Dark Mod!

Just played through this one and liked it very much. The atmosphere was good, there didn't seem to be too many or too few AIs walking about. Rooms felt thoughtfully done, guidance was not overdone or too vague.  One minor thing I noted:

Spoiler

Posted Image

#92 Deadlove

Deadlove

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 07:52 PM

Thought this map was gonna be lame from first impression. It ended up being much more than I thought at first and I thoroughly enjoyed it. As you mention, it was a speed build, but going back and adding some more bling to spice up the environment would really take this to the next level. Or better yet, make another map. Great work!

Spoiler

• Anderson likes this

Plastik Musik - Andrew Nathan Kite, Owner

plastikmusik33@gmail.com

http://www.facebook.com/plastikmusik /

http://www.youtube.com/plastikmusik

http://www.plastikmusik.bandcamp.com

#93 DeusXIncognita

DeusXIncognita

• PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 11:22 PM

Finished that mission today.

Was a nice mission.

Spoiler

Thanks for the misson, I had a nice time.

I've just finished your map. It was really nice, good work \o/

Spoiler

Spoiler

Edited by DeusXIncognita, 20 April 2015 - 11:24 PM.

#94 ambiento

ambiento

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 10:29 AM

Replayed this map a couple of days ago (for some reason).

Great choice of effects, the rain, the music and almost everything!

Only thing I wish there would be, is some effects of rain falling on the roof of the church, so that you can get a feeling that it's still raining outside, even if you're in a warmer place.

Hm, is it raining (outside of the church I mean)? If so, then something is maybe wrong with my TDM installation or settings... I always thought it's just an upcoming thunderstorm, since there wasn't any rain outside.

And yes, getting the feeling that it's raining outside whenever you're in a certain section of a building would be awesome (very light rain sound when you're in a church, a bit louder when you're searching an attic, etc...). Oh, and those wonderful windows from "A Noble Home" should be default for any mission with rainy weather.

• Anderson likes this

#95 wanderer

wanderer

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 08:04 PM

Never mind, I figured it out.

Edited by wanderer, 19 February 2018 - 08:14 PM.

#96 Abusimplea

Abusimplea

• PipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 10:12 PM

Never mind, I figured it out.

What was the problem and how did you solve it?

#97 wanderer

wanderer

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 12:08 PM

What was the problem and how did you solve it?

Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users