Photo

Fan Mission: Exhumed by Kyyrma and Airship Ballet (2014/11/04)

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

Poll: Poll: Exhumed (43 member(s) have cast votes)

Gameplay

1. Poor (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Tolerable (0 votes [0.00%])

3. Good (12 votes [27.91%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 27.91%

4. Excellent (29 votes [67.44%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 67.44%

5. Near Perfect (2 votes [4.65%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.65%

Appearance

2. Tolerable (0 votes [0.00%])

3. Good (18 votes [41.86%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 41.86%

4. Excellent (23 votes [53.49%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 53.49%

5. Near Perfect (2 votes [4.65%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.65%

Narrative

2. Tolerable (1 votes [2.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.33%

3. Good (17 votes [39.53%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 39.53%

4. Excellent (18 votes [41.86%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 41.86%

5. Near Perfect (7 votes [16.28%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.28%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Airship Ballet

Airship Ballet

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1490 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 09:18 PM

POPULAR

As a fashionably late entrant to the Halloween Speedbuild contest, here's a map co-authored with Kyyrma (so give him karma too)!

Screenshots

Spoiler

It's the middle of a Northern Winter. I've endured a month of long nights travelling from the heart of civilisation to its very border. Though the houses of the Builder have have provided respite along the way, they have appeared with decreasing frequency. Now I stand before what was once the last of those safe havens; a final dot on the map amidst bleak hills. The border between civilised society and the pagan abyss. This is my destination.

I have been sent to retrieve a relic from nearly a decade ago: a chalice made to commemorate the crowning of the first king in the North. The king was destined to do good in the land, growing the influence of the Builder and paving way for his works in the far reaches of the known world.

St Henry's Beacon - named after the leader of the first expedition into the Northern Wastes - has stood firm against the harsh environs. It has been abandoned on two separate occasions: once after a vicious pagan raid following the King's coronation and again after a party sent to reclaim the chalice. Their last communication spoke of a demonic apparition haunting the grounds. If there is any truth to these claims, I must seek to purify its taint.

In addition to the pagan threat, opportunistic locals will no doubt have caught wind of the plentiful meat to pick off the bones of the Builder's house. I can only hope that they have already been and gone: the wastes are littered with those who saw fit to linger in the cold.

Title: Exhumed
Theme: Haunt
Release: 2014/11/04
Mappers: Kyyrma & Airship Ballet
Special thanks: Melan for his textures and Kevin MacLeod for the music

Exhumed was built from the ground up in exactly two weeks. It takes inspiration from our native home of Finland, so expect a lot snow, darkness and general misery.
Given the short build time the map might still be a little rough around the edges. Bearing that in mind, all comments and feedback are welcomed. We hope this speedbuild will inspire other mappers to try and create content in a short time. It turns out you don't need that long to make a serviceable FM!

Happy sneaking and a spooky Halloween to everyone!

Download links

The mission is available via the in-game downloader.
By the way, if you want to find a secret just take a slow match to the graveyard.

Edited by Airship Ballet, 04 November 2014 - 02:07 PM.

• Bikerdude, AluminumHaste, Melan and 8 others like this

#2 Goldwell

Goldwell

Team Member

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2418 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 09:21 PM

Congrats on your first release! ^_^
  • Airship Ballet likes this

The Accountant
Part 1: Thieves and Heirs | Part 2: New In town

Shadows of Northdale Campaign

ACT I

Stand Alone Missions
Lord Edgar's Bathhouse | Spring Cleaning

#3 Moonbo

Moonbo

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1071 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 10:17 PM

Wow, for two weeks this was *very* well done. Visuals were excellent, with lots of details and organic patchwork everywhere - really impressive. And the building of suspense and use of readables was also top-notch. Overall, I'd actually go far as to say this is one of the better Dark Mod FM's I've played. Good job both of you!
  • kyyrma and Airship Ballet like this
But you should walk having internal dignity. Be a wonderful person who can dance pleasantly to the rhythm of the universe.
-Sun Myung Moon

My work blog: gfleisher.blogspot.com

#4 nbohr1more

nbohr1more

Darkmod PR, Wordsmith

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8931 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 10:40 PM

Congrats AB!

I didn't think we'd see a mission from you so soon, but your WIP stuff was always top notch.

I misunderstood your PM and attributed this one to Kyyrma thinking you were an assistant beta tester on this one
... gotta correct a few more image descriptions at Moddb when I get a chance. :blush:
Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.c...ds/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

#5 Sotha

Sotha

Vertical Contest Winner

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 03:08 AM

Congrats AB and Kyyrma!
Clipper
-The mapper's best friend.

#6 Lux

Lux

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1575 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 03:59 AM

Congrats AB on your first FM release! and Kyyrma of course, congrats! :)

Make sure you right click the download link > save as, if you open in new tab you get a page of encoded nonsense.

Spoiler

Edited by Lux, 05 November 2014 - 05:15 AM.

#7 kyyrma

kyyrma

• PipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 05:51 AM

This was a ton of fun to build, and hopefully it will be a blast to play as well. To give a bit of background on how this was made:

We first came up with a basic concept and layout, roughly decided what purpose each room should have, and then came up with a loose timeline of events in order to be able to make consistent readables and details in the map. After planning we simply passed the map back and forth hot-potato building it segment by segment. Once the general build was done, we continued through a number of detail rounds until we had the map in its final state.

There were naturally a number of setbacks along the way, including sudden refusals of the map to compile and infuriatingly hard to locate leaks possibly caused by merging maps by copy-pasting large numbers of brushes. Still, this would probably be my preferred method of working on FMs in the future. It's absolutely fantastic to know that when you hit a slump or are too busy to work on the map, someone else will pick it right up.

Once more thanks to AB, who was able to put so many hours into this during such a short timeframe. It was intense, but the results were worth it.
  • Melan and Anderson like this

#8 Oldjim

Oldjim

Uber tester

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2021 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 06:11 AM

I had to use IE to download it as Firefox wouldn't do it

Edited by Oldjim, 04 November 2014 - 06:11 AM.

#9 kyyrma

kyyrma

• PipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 06:22 AM

Here is an alternative link in case people are having trouble:

Download exhumed.pk4

I'll ask Airship to update the OP once he gets back online.

#10 buck28

buck28

• PipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 07:44 AM

Sweet! Congrats to you both. Looking forward to downloading this tonight when I get home :excl:
Quando omni flunkus moritati" ("When all else fails, play dead")
Halloween Contest Winner 2014

#11 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20064 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 08:09 AM

Now available via the in-game downloader.

And on that note, can I recommend authors poke me via pm when they release a mission so I don't forget like I did in Bucks case, ta.

#12 VanishedOne

VanishedOne

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 819 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 11:33 AM

I agree with Moonbo that this did a great job of gradually building suspense. You got a real sense of the presence of

Spoiler

I love the internal name readables/exhumed21/clunkyexposition :) -- but I seem to have missed superseriousambience.ogg if that was actually used anywhere...

Some things I'm repeatedly thinking about...

- louder scream when you're dying

#13 Airship Ballet

Airship Ballet

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1490 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 11:47 AM

Spoiler

I seem to have missed superseriousambience.ogg if that was actually used anywhere...

It was used! There's a hint in the OP.

Edited by Airship Ballet, 04 November 2014 - 11:47 AM.

#14 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20064 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 12:40 PM

This is a perfect example of less is more, rebust story telling, solid map building and atmospheric audio in a neat little package. And the end sequence was properly scary,
Spoiler

Well done you two.

#15 Anderson

Anderson

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1048 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 02:09 PM

Hi, just tried and finished your mission.
I must say, I'm quite impressed. Too bad it was so short!
Nice atmosphere, clever placement of NPC's, great plot sound and music, you gave me a great evening!

One question though:

Spoiler

By the way the skull was nice.

Edited by Anderson, 04 November 2014 - 02:14 PM.

• kyyrma likes this

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

#16 Airship Ballet

Airship Ballet

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1490 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 02:18 PM

Spoiler

I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Edited by Airship Ballet, 04 November 2014 - 02:19 PM.

#17 Anderson

Anderson

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1048 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 02:42 PM

Spoiler

I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Spoiler

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

#18 kyyrma

kyyrma

• PipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 02:57 PM

Spoiler

Spoiler

#19 Anderson

Anderson

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1048 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 03:05 PM

Spoiler

Oh yeah, that makes sense.
Thanks for clarifying!

#20 Melan

Melan

Contest Winner, Wordsmith

• Campaign Dev
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4444 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 03:35 PM

For two weeks of building, this is a seriously excellent mission! First, the desolate winter environment and the ruined church both suggest a sense of being alone. Second, the - suitably nasty - activities of the current occupants and the story about the mission's fate give the FM its "authenticity" - it is well-written, well-paced, and uses foreshadowing neatly. The little touches like the forces of nature reclaiming the stonework, the handles on the boarded up windows, the lights in the bell or the melted wax around the candles are icing on the top.
Spoiler

As a Halloween mission, I found this one especially nice since good horror is not easy to do, and even harder to maintain. Here, it just works. Could it be bigger? Maybe, maybe not. So, it was probably just right!

(The "making of" GIF is also cool.)
Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

#21 Xarg

Xarg

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1330 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 03:40 PM

Loved the music, very atmospheric! Did anyone else find a certain little somethin' somethin'?

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

#22 kyyrma

kyyrma

• PipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 03:55 PM

Loved the music, very atmospheric! Did anyone else find a certain little somethin' somethin'?

All credit on that goes to Kevin MacLeod, whose royalty free music collection I would suggest to other mappers as well.

Also, might you be implying you found a certain super spooky secret? B)

#23 Airship Ballet

Airship Ballet

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1490 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 04:05 PM

For a while, I actually thought I'd have to defeat them by lighting the various candles around the church.

Well, if you had gone on a candle-lighting spree you may well have discovered the aforementioned "somethin' somethin'". Thanks for the feedback: it makes the mad rush worth it knowing the map's being enjoyed ^_^

#24 Oldjim

Oldjim

Uber tester

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2021 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 04:26 PM

Here was me thinking I had looked everywhere - nearly 500 loot missing

#25 kyyrma

kyyrma

• PipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 04:34 PM

Here was me thinking I had looked everywhere - nearly 500 loot missing

We decided to make the loot placement a bit trickier then in most missions, because it's not a mandatory objective. This way those who enjoy scrounging for secrets can have a self-imposed challenge trying to find all the 500 loot, but no one will get stuck because of a loot limit.

Edited by kyyrma, 04 November 2014 - 04:36 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users