The Dark Mod Forums

[Resolved in TDM 2.03] Testers requested: soft particles

SteveL

No, it fails again with the same error. I guess a new file has been added and it wasn't added to the scons list?

Edit: Yeah, I think it needs to be added to "sys/scons/SConscript.game"

Like so:

te@te:~/src/darkmod_src$ svn diff sys/scons/SConscript.game
Index: sys/scons/SConscript.game
===================================================================
--- sys/scons/SConscript.game   (revision 6342)
+++ sys/scons/SConscript.game   (working copy)
@@ -248,6 +248,7 @@
ai/Tasks/FleeTask.cpp \
ai/Tasks/FollowActorTask.cpp \
ai/Tasks/GreetingBarkTask.cpp \
+ai/Tasks/GuardSpotTask.cpp \
ai/Tasks/HandleDoorTask.cpp \
ai/Tasks/HandleElevatorTask.cpp \
ai/Tasks/IdleAnimationTask.cpp \

It will take 18 min to test if it compiles&links again.

Speaking of missing assets, does that mean I can't test the current revision with the 2.02 stock assets?

Edited by Tels

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Might still be a few quirks i suspect, if anyone spots something out of the way in the linux scons build ill be happy doing the nessesary corrections.

If you allready have a github account and want to work actively on my branch let me know and ill add you as collaborator with full access.

Edit: Yeah, I think it needs to be added to "sys/scons/SConscript.game"

Speaking of missing assets, does that mean I can't test the current revision with the 2.02 stock assets?

Let me know if I need to patch something for 2.03 to enable it to compile on Linux. I don't understand scons setup.

Thats' right, you can't test the current revision with released assets. A lot has been added for 2.03.

Let me know if I need to patch something for 2.03 to enable it to compile on Linux. I don't understand scons setup.

I'll do, as soon as it is compiled again. Just found another mission file.

In general, new .cpp files must be added to the lists in sys/scons/SConscript.game for the Scons build to link correctly.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

Thats' right, you can't test the current revision with released assets. A lot has been added for 2.03.

I usually tested the new 2.03 builds and they worked quite good with the 2.02 assests - but of course I did only cursory testing and only played one FM.

But is it possible to test the softparticles in a small mission, which would you recommend, how do I enabled/disable them? I just want to see if it works and give you direct feedback.

Edited by Tels

Thanks, that'd be much appreciated, if it doesn't refuse to launch! Testing in existing missions is tricky because mappers have done their best to put particles where they don't look bad, moving them out from walls etc. Penny Dreadful 2 has a lamp glare by the gallows that cuts into the wall when seen from the side. Ulysses has a big dust fog in the boiler room that has loads and loads of hard surfaces to intersect with. Both fantastic and beautiful missions so worth seeing anyway.

Doesn't compile so far:

game/SearchManager.cpp: In member function ‘bool CSearchManager::JoinSearch(int, idAI*)’:
game/SearchManager.cpp:663: error: ‘max’ was not declared in this scope

There is no max() in C or C++, so I guess MS added their own. idlib doesn't have one, either. Here is a workaround, still avoiding to compute the sqrt() twice:

Index: game/SearchManager.cpp
--- game/SearchManager.cpp	  (revision 6342)
+++ game/SearchManager.cpp	  (working copy)
@@ -660,7 +660,8 @@
		    float yRad = searchSize.y/2.0f;

// outerRadius defines the search perimeter, where observers will stand
-			   outerRadius = max(SEARCH_MIN_OBS_DISTANCE,idMath::Sqrt(xRad*xRad + yRad*yRad));
+			   outerRadius = idMath::Sqrt(xRad*xRad + yRad*yRad);
+			   outerRadius = outerRadius > SEARCH_MIN_OBS_DISTANCE ? outerRadius : SEARCH_MIN_OBS_DISTANCE;
		    innerRadius = 0; // no active searching
		    if (!ai->IsAfraid()) // armed AI becomes a guard
		    {

I'l try again :)

All right. The changes above (scons and max()) are good, but then:

dlopen 'xyz/games/tdm/gamex86.so' failed: xyz/games/tdm/gamex86.so: undefined symbol: _ZN5boost10filesystem6detail9copy_fileERKNS0_4pathES4_NS1_11copy_optionEPNS_6system10error_codeE

This seems to take on quite a bit longer...

We upgraded boost recently to the version needed by msvc2013. Don't know if that helps, but we have new boost libraries included the statically compiled ones.

The way max is used in the function above isn't portable, so I'll fix it. Windows is a pain in the nuts here. Windows.h #defines max as a macro, which means you can't call std::max(a,b ). But using plain max won't compile on other environments.

The ugly but fully portable fix is to use this syntax:

(std::max)(a,b )

The extra brackets prevent the 'max' being replaced by the preprocessor because macro names have to be followed by an open bracket. So the closing bracket in between stops it being recognised as a macro.

Ah, idLib defines a Max() function (note capital M), and it's used in a lot fo places so we should use that.

D'oh! I searched for max, MAX, and Max in Math, but I somehow must have overlooked Max() in idlib. My mistake :)

The other fix is, unless you already applied it:

Index: sys/scons/SConscript.game
--- sys/scons/SConscript.game   (revision 6344)
+++ sys/scons/SConscript.game   (working copy)
@@ -55,6 +55,7 @@
    PlayerView.cpp \
    Projectile.cpp \
    Pvs.cpp \
+	   SearchManager.cpp \
    SecurityCamera.cpp \
    SmokeParticles.cpp \
    Sound.cpp \
@@ -248,6 +249,7 @@
ai/Tasks/FleeTask.cpp \
ai/Tasks/FollowActorTask.cpp \
ai/Tasks/GreetingBarkTask.cpp \
+ai/Tasks/GuardSpotTask.cpp \
ai/Tasks/HandleDoorTask.cpp \
ai/Tasks/HandleElevatorTask.cpp \
ai/Tasks/IdleAnimationTask.cpp \

Regarding boost, I'll have to investigate what exactly the problem is. Is there a chance we can get rid of a few boost libraries easily? Boost::fillesystem seem to be used only in about 3 places (plus a lot in the tdm_updater).

Started a thread where we can collect the boost info and issues: http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/16753-tdm-and-the-boost-library

This is already in place.

Seen it a few seconds later during svn updated, but your clever sorting of strings threw me off :)

• 2 weeks later...

Nice! Would love to help test this... but I'm on Linux, and don't see a Linux engine provided in the post. I can't compile it from GIT either since there's always some error at one point... the usual ballad of software compilation. If I find some way to get the engine though, I'd like to test... especially since I run the free ATI drivers (MESA & Gallium) where things might always be a little different.

Edited by MirceaKitsune

Cool, thanks, yes that would be a useful test but I can't help with the linux compilation sorry :-/ I'll drop you a line when we start 2.03 beta testing, which will come with a linux version of course. There's a fix to water shaders as well as soft particles that needs testing on as many systems as possible.

• nbohr1more changed the title to [Resolved in TDM 2.03] Testers requested: soft particles