The Dark Mod Forums

Is there any way to alter the Dark Mod CFG to disable headbob?

cavador_8

I tried adding these lines to the end of the Dark Mod cfg:

seta pm_bobroll "0"

seta pm_bobpitch "0"

seta pm_bobup "0"

Then I saved the cfg. Then I start the Dark Mod and it completely erases the lines I added and keeps on headbobbing in the game. I know about the console commands to disable headbob but I want a permanant way to disable it. The Doom 3 engine should be able to have these lines added to the cfg. Why does the Dark Mod keep erasing them? Headbob makes me ill...

That's because they're not set to be archived:

idCVar pm_bobup("pm_bobup", "0.035", CVAR_GAME | CVAR_NETWORKSYNC | CVAR_FLOAT, "" );

Missing the CVAR_ARCHIVE keyword so it's not written to the cfg file.

However if you are using 2.02 you should have an auto commands.cfg file.

Ok, I created my own autocommands.cfg file because there was not one in the Dark Mod folder. I added my lines and it doesn't work. Still bobbing away. Is there no permanent solution to the headbobbing?

I just added these to my autocommands.cfg file in the same directory as thedarkmod.exe, and it works for me.

Try creating an autoexec.cfg file then, and put them in there.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

I downloaded the most recent version of Dark Mod on Monday night, November 24th. That was the first time that I have ever downloaded the Dark Mod and there was no autocommands.cfg nor an autoexec.cfg in there at all. Wouldn't this be version 2.02? Why would there be no autocommands.cfg or autoexec.cfg in my DarkMod folder?

Are you saying that if I create an autoexec.cfg and put my seta pm lines in there about headbobbing that it will work?

As a side note, I wish I could find the guy who first came up with headbobbing in a game and kick him square in the nuts!

Normally I would agree with you, excessive head bob makes me vomit, but it's really really low in TDM.

I just updated my 2.0 to 2.02 last night, and created autocommands.cfg, put your seta lines in there.

When I started up TDM, I checked those CVARS and they were all at 0.

So it should work for you also.

Perhaps make sure that your darkmod has no spaces in it's path, and there are no capital letters?

Ok, so it's the autocommands.cfg and not the autoexec.cfg? I was reading some posts that said that the commands carry into the game menu but when the actual game loads it wipes them all away? Were you able to actually start a game with no headbobbing? What do you mean by no spaces in the darkmod path?

I mean don't use C:\My Games\DarkMod, TDM doesn't like spaces, and capital letters are not a good idea either.

For example, I have mine installed to C:\games\darkmod, works fine.

I'll try loading up a mission also and see if it carries over into the game.

I see what you mean! When I load up a mission, those values are back to defaults!

Alright I'll look into this, but in the meantime, try this; open console and type:

bind F11 exec autocommands.cfg

When you start your mission, press 11, the commands in that file will be executed and your bob should be removed.

Oh yeah, one more question. I did use a capital letter in my install. I used C:\games\DarkMod

Should I change the directory name to C:\games\darkmod and then run the update again? The update just updates files right? It doesn't download the whole thing again, right? That took me about 3 hours to download on Monday.

Thanks for the binding idea AluminumHaste! I was also able to add another VERY important line to my autocommands.cfg file.

seta com_fixedtic "1"

This makes the Darkmod run SMOOTH. I am completely new to the Darkmod but a LONG time Thief 2 player (since 2002). I was noticing a slight stuttering movement out of my peripheral in the Darkmod, like when moving along a wall you could see the wall kind of slightly jerking towards you (nothing major). I thought that maybe it was something with the Doom 3 engine so I searched solutions to that micro stutter. With that one line, the slight stutter movement is gone.

I just press F11 to execute my autocommands.cfg and with these four lines I have the Darkmod running as smooth as Thief 2.

seta pm_bobroll "0"

seta pm_bobpitch "0"

seta pm_bobup "0"

seta com_fixedtic "1"

I've now got a lot of Darkmod fan missions to go through...