npc characters animals

84 replies to this topic

#76 MirceaKitsune

MirceaKitsune

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 07:45 AM

Regarding to the wolf model: I have an improved blend in the works, which I'll publish here when ready. It will mostly contain various cleanups, lower-polygon shadow mesh, and improved normal / specular textures. I'm not touching the animations like I said, but it should be easier to work with it from there on.

• VanishedOne and Destined like this

#77 NeonsStyle

NeonsStyle

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 04:05 AM

I'd like to see cats and dogs. Cats I think would have a very narrow use mostly for immersion where a guard either patted, or talked to a cat on his patrol. 

Dogs are bit more obvious, as in alerters. Chained dog would probably be the easiest to use, as you only need about 3 animations. Laying down transition to sitting, transition to standing straining 

against his chain and back.

A murder of crows should be able to be done with a shader or emitter, triggered by a trigger_once, they take off and that's the end. With careful placement, it could

look quite convincing. Much easier to do it that way than to bother with modeling and animating.

#78 SeriousToni

SeriousToni

Beginner Contest 2012 Winner

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2187 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 05:44 AM

Cats I think would have a very narrow use mostly for immersion where a guard either patted, or talked to a cat on his patrol.

Just let us use the standard conversation / greeting script! It would be hilarious to watch them be like: "Meow" -"Yup. Guess you're right." Or: "Good evening Sir!" -"Meow" :laugh:

• Dragofer, Obsttorte, Aosys and 1 other like this
"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

#79 Anderson

Anderson

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 28 October 2016 - 10:36 AM

Just let us use the standard conversation / greeting script! It would be hilarious to watch them be like: "Meow" -"Yup. Guess you're right." Or: "Good evening Sir!" -"Meow" :laugh:

BTW cats react to humans in the same way as they would react to a cat.

For keeping in line with the mood of TDM it would be good to have them have a sound cover of a mature cat, none of the kitty cute approach. If the models get finished.

#80 MirceaKitsune

MirceaKitsune

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 01 November 2016 - 03:46 PM

Sorry for the delay. Here's my prepared version of the BGE wolf:

https://drive.google...T3FsYzlNSWJiVkU

Changes I made:

• Generated lower-polygon shadow mesh.
  • Improved the UV mapping in some areas.
  • Prepared materials with names, which should be friendly for Blender's md5 exporter.
  • Included 4 fur color patterns: Black, white, gray, yellow.

What's left to do:

• A few new animations might have to be added. I'm no expert here, so I simply left the animations offered by the original blend.
  • Convert the images from png to tga. I left them png since I believe that makes the file a bit smaller and easier to share.

Notice: The textures are all packed inside the blend file. Just select File - External Data - Unpack All Into Files, in order to unpack them. You might have to first deselect Automatically Pack Into .blend, within the same menu. I hope someone can pick up on this and finish the integration, and my work on those improvements weren't for nothing and will help to do this for TDM :P

• Bikerdude, Dragofer and VanishedOne like this

#81 demagogue

demagogue

Mod hero

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5094 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 12:17 AM

Thanks for this!

Would it be possible to set up a simple triggered animation of the dog running in the distance as an ambient event with this, no AI or anything fancy? I think something like that would really add to my WIP.

Posted Image

#82 MirceaKitsune

MirceaKitsune

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 02:11 PM

Thanks for this!

Would it be possible to set up a simple triggered animation of the dog running in the distance as an ambient event with this, no AI or anything fancy? I think something like that would really add to my WIP.

The md5mesh + md5anim(s) would need to be generated first. I'm not good with animation for TDM, but I left the stock ones included for anyone with an exporter to continue from. Might be best to wait until there's an AI, then use path entities to animate it altogether... you'll probably need a special kind of animated entity definition otherwise, which is probably pointless once a functional AI will exist.

#83 VanishedOne

VanishedOne

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 02:53 PM

On the evidence of the werebeast thread, that could be a long wait. The prospect of a full AI brings up all those questions about how canine/lupine hearing and scent acuity are to fit with the gameplay model, on top of everything else it needs. idAnimated entity defs have been used before (see Arcturus's grass demo map for examples including fish) and func_animate entities were used for animated characters in a scene in Requiem.

Some things I'm repeatedly thinking about...

- louder scream when you're dying

#84 MirceaKitsune

MirceaKitsune

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 09:24 AM

What is the progress on this? Last time someone was working on a cat model I believe, which was nearly done? Also I spent time optimizing that dog / wolf model, and posted it above for inclusion in TDM... has anything become of that as well? I assume they won't be making it to 2.05 as I got the impression that's happening relatively soon, but maybe 2.06 is a possible target!

#85 Destined

Destined

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 910 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 09:45 AM

I wanted to take a look at it at some point, but am quite busy right now. BTW: It won't make it into 2.05 as this is out already.

• Anderson likes this

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: npc, characters, animals

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users