The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Lord Edgar's Bathhouse by Goldwell (27.12.2014)

Goldwell

A highly polished mission. Took me 40 mins to complete and I liked everything about the mission.

Custom assets and music. Extremely well-made intro sequence. Good objectives. Comprehensive briefing. A funny&witty conversation. The length was perfect for me (I've becoming convinced that an optimal length for a mission is 1 hour, after that I get tired and sloppy). The difficulty was gentle, but challenging and interesting. Good looks. Good performance. The list goes on. I would have liked to dig a bit deeper into the mystery, but I suppose that there will be sequel. There must be.

Bravo, Goldwell! Bravo! You've made yet another gem! You are very quickly becoming one of the top tier TDM FMAs! Playing this kind of missions often sparks the mapping inspiration in me. Thank you!

Wow Sotha that really means a lot to hear such high praise, thank you!

And yes I am currently working on the sequel, I actually started work on it yesterday :)

• Like 3

Just played it. I loved the look of the windows in the upper rooms (the elevator) and, most of all, the cut scene. How long did it take to make it?

• Like 1

Its hard to give an accurate time frame but I would say roughly 1-2 months for the whole project.

Thanks for playing, glad you enjoyed it :)

• 1 month later...

This was pretty good! But I'm curious about the

third opal. I even used noclip and showloot and floated around for 15 minutes. I gave up.

Vague spoilers

Inside the bathhouse you will find:

Two are on the ground floor

One is on the top floor

The rooms each of them are in

One is in the spabath

One is in the main room upstairs (the room that overlooks the city)

One is in the staff maintenance room

Exact locations

1) In the spabath behind the top right pillar (when standing in the doorway facing inwards) there is an opal behind it

2) Ontop of the stacked boxes in the maintenance room

3) On the top floor in the lounge room that overlooks the city goto the bookshelf and inbetween the books on the left hand side you will find the last opal

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I made my vote, this short/medium mission was great, nearing Thief 2 quality for sure. I'm waiting for the 2nd part, you said it will be "Horror", I could wait patiently but then that makes me into a real thief.

Thanks for playing, glad you enjoyed it! The second part is still a long while off as i'm focusing all my attention at the moment on finishing the accountant 2 however i've released some media of lord edgars bathhouse 2 (currently untitled) in the past. It's taken a turn from the pure horror vision I had originally into a prison escape/city/manor mix but i've still kept the horror theme alive within parts of the city and the manor for sure.

If you're interested here's everything i've shared on it so far :)

• Like 1

Interesting, I like the last two shots, looks very detailed. I love tight city streets, they're more challenging, although I don't know if realistic.

As long as the mission is great, Horror is not something I mind. But glad you decided to keep some of it, just like Sotha's Thomas Porter series (Mission 1 and 3, as far as I can remember).

Say, knowing your next chapter is gonna be "Lord Edgar's Bathhouse" as well, is there any chance we get to travel there again? I love it when a "series" has a comeback or keeps up with the story in such a simple way.

• 2 months later...

Solid mission, I liked the introduction (subtitles are always a good idea, but the voice here is quite clear to understand). The setting and atmosphere works the way it should, well made! I like the different reactions and dialogs and several other aspects.

The elevator is just awesome and the secret lever too, good idea and neither too hard nor too easy to find! The gems are a nice idea too, although I just found two of them.

Thank you for this map!

Edited by Silverd
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
6 hours ago, Labeeb said:

I'm enjoying this stylish mission, except that...

Hide contents

I've got the safe in the manager's office open. I see the book and loot, but they're unfrobbable.

Playing on 2.09.

Thank you! An explanation re: your spoiler

Spoiler

If memory serves me correctly, there is a bug in which if you either interrupt or don't let a safe door open fully it wont make the insides be interactable.

The reason for this is that safes require an entity inside to be triggered to tell the game "hey the safe is open, you can grab the stuff inside", otherwise the player can just pull things out from the safe without opening it. What happened previously (and this is a result of me being a naive mapper back then) was that the safe door was set to only trigger that action on being opened. And so anything that interrupted the door would cause that to go wry and so you could see the inside of the safe, but couldn't interact because the game still thinks the safe door is closed.

To resolve that issue on your end, you'd have to go in and reload before you opened the safe and make sure that you don't interrupt/stop the door while it's opening. As I just tested this on 2.09 and can confirm if the door opens fully and the loot inside is frobable:

mmAC6G4.jpg

I do apologize for your negative experience there, and when I update this mission next I will be sure to make a note of that fix.

13 minutes ago, Goldwell said:

Reveal hidden contents

If memory serves me correctly, there is a bug in which if you either interrupt or don't let a safe door open fully it wont make the insides be interactable.

The reason for this is that safes require an entity inside to be triggered to tell the game "hey the safe is open, you can grab the stuff inside", otherwise the player can just pull things out from the safe without opening it. What happened previously (and this is a result of me being a naive mapper back then) was that the safe door was set to only trigger that action on being opened. And so anything that interrupted the door would cause that to go wry and so you could see the inside of the safe, but couldn't interact because the game still thinks the safe door is closed.

To resolve that issue on your end, you'd have to go in and reload before you opened the safe and make sure that you don't interrupt/stop the door while it's opening. As I just tested this on 2.09 and can confirm if the door opens fully and the loot inside is frobable:

mmAC6G4.jpg

I do apologize for your negative experience there, and when I update this mission next I will be sure to make a note of that fix.

Many thanks for the quick response and explanation. That worked for me.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Goldwell said:

Hide contents

mmAC6G4.jpg

I have experienced in some missions that I could not pick up objects from a trunk or safe, but I have always been able to solve it by simply closing and opening the lid or door again.

Sys Specs Laptop Lenovo V145 15AST, AMD A9- 9425 Radeon R5 - 5 cores 3,1 GHz  RAM 8Gb, GPU 1+2 Gb -Win10 64 v21H2

Favorite online apps you may like too 😉

• 1 year later...

What a fun mission! I love the humorous little conversations you put in all your maps. They just add so much life and charm to the TDM world.

I found one of the red shinies before I knew what they were for, and then spent an interesting twenty minutes tracking down the others. And devising a way of getting the gems on the Builder compound door without alerting the two Watchmen was a challenge. Those long sight lines were an interesting puzzle to overcome.

Massive fan of your missions.

• Like 2

My missions:           Stand-alone                                                      Duncan Lynch series                              

Down and Out on Newford Road              the Factory Heist

A House Call

The House of deLisle                                                                                                  

12 hours ago, thebigh said:

What a fun mission! I love the humorous little conversations you put in all your maps. They just add so much life and charm to the TDM world.

I found one of the red shinies before I knew what they were for, and then spent an interesting twenty minutes tracking down the others. And devising a way of getting the gems on the Builder compound door without alerting the two Watchmen was a challenge. Those long sight lines were an interesting puzzle to overcome.

Massive fan of your missions.

Thank you for the kind words!

It's hard to believe this mission is nearly 10 years old too! Time really does fly.

Also re: the convo's. I try to add a little bit of humor to every mission or at least a bit more flavor. I've always loved it in the thief series when I stumble across a conversation & can eavesdrop in, it helps to make the world just feel that little bit more lived in, rather than just standard NPC barks everywhere. I also have a lot of fun implementing them, I was working on a mission in Shadows of Northdale Act 3 the other night and was laughing so hard at a scene I put in there. So it's nice to know that these convos are appreciated by others too :)

• Like 4