14 replies to this topic

#1 Paralytik

Paralytik

• PipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 10:29 PM

POPULAR

Helloes. 

My plan is to, with the help of you guys, compile a list over what needs doing on the audio side and then try to get these things done.
I've been working with audio as a hobbyist for many years, I play a few instruments sufficiently well to be able to compose things and I have some in-depth knowledge in production techniques, audio synthesis, live recording, music theory and acoustics. With that said, I'm far from a master; I learn and read up on new things all the time to broaden my knowledge even further. I primarily work in Propellerheads Reason for music production and audio creation.

So far I've seen a few topics here being discussed.

• Ice footstep sounds.
    (Might be possible to modify the stone sounds to achieve this, otherwise I'll have to get out with one of my harddisc recorders and figure something out).

• City ambient sounds. Carts rolling, animals howling, muffled talk, distant oneshots; anything to try to make the cityscapes come alive.

• Strained metal sounds. (Should be quite easy with a ring modulator and some basic waveforms in pretty much any synth where you can sculpt sound from scratch).

• + Chest opening/closing sounds are inconsistent.
  • + New dropped candlestick holder sound, old one sounds tinny.
  • + Lockpicking sounds.
  • + Inconsistent jumping/landing sounds.

Also being mentioned in another thread is the lack of ambient music, and general indoors ambient. What I'm thinking here is basically composing and production work, possibly based on what is already in the mod (the indoor piano loops, etc) to fit well together with what is already available. Focus will be spent on adequate lengths and bearable repetitiveness, along with different levels of tension for the pieces. 

Areas that I have thought of so far, including things being mentioned in other threads, are the following:

• Manor/general indoors non-creepy environments.
  • Harbor.
  • Warehouse.
  • Factory.
  • Wilderness.
  • Mountains.

Suggestions by Obsttorte in http://forums.thedar...r-the-dark-mod/ .
  • + More themes for the builders.
  • + Themes for the pagans.
  • + As we have Moors now, it would be nice to have ambient music for them, although Springheel or so would have to point out their background so you get an idea what they are about (didn't follow the related discussions too closely).
  • + Something for our inventors. Steampunk like, but not too futuristic.
  • + Anything else we come up with.

I've also been thinking of creating a sample pack of sort, with a variety of "building blocks" for people to create their own ambient tracks for maps. Others in this subforum have already showed very promising results using freeware and basic editing techniques (Paulstretch, Audacity, etc), but it might be tricky to track down CC-licensed source material to use.

In combination with being a collected thread where you can follow the progress on these things, I will also act as a mentor and self-proclaimed guru, trying to answer questions others might have regarding audio work. If someone needs help with editing/mixing of any sort, feel free to ask and I'll do my best to contribute.

In case there are more people interested in helping out with specific tasks, or have knowledge in areas where I myself might lack, join in and help out! :)

General suggestions on things that might need updating can be discussed here and we'll see what we can do.

Edited by Paralytik, 16 February 2015 - 04:49 PM.

• Bikerdude, Goldwell, Lux and 3 others like this

#2 Paralytik

Paralytik

• PipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 10:33 PM

Here's a photo of my current little studio set up.

I share a space a bit outside of town with a friend where we try to make nice music.

IMG_0754.jpg

• Bikerdude, MacD11 and Deadlove like this

#3 Springheel

Springheel

Creative Director (retired)

• Admin
  • 36021 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 10:50 PM

Another thing I've thought of recently is new impact sound for dropped candlestick holders.  The current ones sound way to small and tinny.

• MacD11 likes this
Posted Image

#4 Goldwell

Goldwell

Team Member

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2072 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 12:57 AM

I've been playing a lot of Thief 2 FM's recently and one thing I really wish the dark mod had was better lock picking sounds. If there is a way for you to create some better lock picking sounds (if possible) I would be eternally grateful!

• Bikerdude and MacD11 like this

The Accountant Series
Part 1 (coming soon) | Part 2: New In town

Lord Edgar Trilogy
Lord Edgar's Bathhouse | Lord Edgar's Disappearance | Lord Edgar's Estate

Stand Alone Missions
Spring Cleaning

#5 Paralytik

Paralytik

• PipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 07:30 AM

Springheel: Yes, that one might definitely be improved.

Goldwell: This is also something I've been thinking of myself! How does the current system work? Are there just 2-3 loops being played, and finished off with the unlocked-click? I think that click sound in the end is a bit inconsistent with the rest of the loop.

#6 Springheel

Springheel

• Admin
  • 36021 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 08:42 AM

The clicks are about a dozen individual sounds randomly strung together to create the unique sequence for each lock. 

I've never had any problems with them.

• Bikerdude, 161803398874989 and SteveL like this
Posted Image

#7 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18109 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 10:39 AM

+1

#8 161803398874989

• PipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 01:04 PM

+1

There's a button for expressing precisely this sentiment to be found in the bottom right hand corner of Spring's post. :P

I wish to echo the sentiment, so I've clicked it.

You can call me Phi, Numbers, Digits, Ratio, 16, 1618, or whatever really, as long as it's not Phil.

#9 Paralytik

Paralytik

• PipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 01:38 PM

The clicks are about a dozen individual sounds randomly strung together to create the unique sequence for each lock. 

Nice! I'm glad to hear it's a bit more complex. I was guessing on a collection of shorter loops being combined in different ways.

Also I want to clarify that I'm not aiming at a complete overhaul of everything people might find annoying. Some might like things others don't like, and most of the sound effects in DM are already of very high quality, so it wouldn't be needed anyways.

#10 Arcturus

Arcturus

Advanced Member

• Development Role
  • PipPipPip
  • 1570 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 05:35 PM

Thief sounds are unbeatable. They sound heavier.

http://youtu.be/yKO4NMzZhaI?t=4m21s

http://youtu.be/yKO4NMzZhaI?t=9m46s

• Goldwell likes this

It's only a model... /// My channel on YouTube /// CGtrader , Turbosquid

#11 Springheel

Springheel

• Admin
  • 36021 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 05:56 PM

The reverb is nice, but I think ours actually sound more like what a metal pick inside a lock would actually sound like.  Lockpicks aren't exactly heavy.

http://youtu.be/4GQbCjo0Zdg?t=1m33s

Posted Image

#12 Arcturus

Arcturus

Advanced Member

• Development Role
  • PipPipPip
  • 1570 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 06:12 PM

This is a modern lock and I think ours sound just like that - modern. Thief's locks have a lot of bass, the last sound when the lock is open is very satisfying.

It's only a model... /// My channel on YouTube /// CGtrader , Turbosquid

#13 Paralytik

Paralytik

• PipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 09:33 PM

Does DM have a unique sound for when doors/chests are unlocked, or is that same sound used anywhere else?
I would check myself, but this laptop sucks too hard, can't enjoy many missions because of it.

If we don't, then we totally should create one. I agree with Arcturus, the sound used in Thief is incredibly satisfying, design-wise.

Edited by Paralytik, 13 January 2015 - 12:57 PM.

#14 Paralytik

Paralytik

• PipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 02:37 PM

Was planning on moving forward with some of these things this week, but this cold I have still haven't passed. :(

Really annoying.

#15 Petike the Taffer

Petike the Taffer

• PipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 09 September 2015 - 03:26 PM

Thinking about non-Thief ambient music that could serve as a bit of inspiration, I suppose you could use some of Robert Rich's stuff as a general template for ideas on wilderness settings or Pagan-related scenarios: Some examples:

Mycelia (with Alio Die)

I think I've heard a sample from that last track (from around 2:15 and slightly onwards) used in an older Thief II FM. It was Off the Record, made by Yandros. The FM is set inside a public institution at night time, and the particular sample from that track was selected nicely, so I didn't find it annoying or repetitive while I was playing. I suppose a similarly sounding bit of ambient could work well for interiors of public buildings at night.

(EDIT: Ha, found a video playthrough of Off the Record ! (Link now included above.) You can clearly hear the sample from "Mycelia" playing in the background throughout the mission.)

----

Looking at the ambient music tutorial and having not worked much on sound effects in the last few months, I might try my hand at putting together some simple ambient theme for the inventors. Maybe I'll come up with something. Oh and there are also those ice sounds I've promised. I should get to work on those. And I'm very eager to try making some ambient soundscapes for the city, though I'd have to have a good idea for what the basic scenario should be like.

Also: Do inns, taverns, etc. need any sort of ambient backgrounds, or should their soundscape be left to whatever sound effects (chatter, musical instruments) the mission author populates them with ? I could try making several ambients for variously crowded inns.

Edited by Petike the Taffer, 10 September 2015 - 01:17 PM.

• Bikerdude, Moonbo and Anderson like this

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: audio, music, sfx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users