32 replies to this topic

#26 STiFU

STiFU

Uber member

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3579 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 03:29 AM

So, last night, I had an (almost lucid) dream: I have been talking to a friend about developing TDM and the dream/conversation had an amazing outcome!  :D 

We were on a hike and talked about developing for TDM and how fun it can be at times. He asked me if I ever wanted to create an FM on my own and I answered "no". I told him the whole story of how I once worked for 9 months basically full-time on a TDS-FM and lost it all due to an hdd crash (@Judith maybe remembers). That happened more than a decade ago. I continued to say that it is a hugely time consuming undertaking which I simply cannot afford today. We continued the hike and I was to myself with my thoughts. Suddenly, I had a brilliant story idea for a small FM, perfect for a beginner mapper. I fleshed it all out in my head and told my friend about the idea who was equaliy excited as I was. Then I woke up, could still remember everything, and obviously put the whole story idea in ink.  :rolleyes:  So, who knows, maybe sometime in the future, you will see a nice and small, "Love & Cruelty"-themed FM from me.  :blush:

Once again, gaming affects your dreams!  B)

• Springheel, peter_spy and Destined like this

#27 peter_spy

peter_spy

Uber member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2052 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 03:44 AM

I told him the whole story of how I once worked for 9 months basically full-time on a TDS-FM and lost it all due to an hdd crash (@Judith maybe remembers).

I do, I had a similar problem while we were working on The Cabal campaign. I lost the source files, and my mission ended up in rather unpolished state. The intro / outro movies had to "hacked in" by Tiens somehow.

• STiFU likes this

#28 STiFU

STiFU

Uber member

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3579 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 03:53 AM

Please note that I liked your post because you still remember what happened back then and not because you also got your mission nuked. ;-)

#29 peter_spy

peter_spy

Uber member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2052 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 03:53 AM

Keeping my fingers crossed for you making that FM, by the way :) I really wish I could have 9 months to work on a project full-time. Making models for TDM is super rewarding, but with every piece taking like 2 weeks in-between work, sleep and family time, the progress is really, really slow.

• STiFU likes this

#30 STiFU

STiFU

Uber member

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3579 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 04:45 AM

It definitely won't happen anytime soon, if at all, sorry. Right now I am way too interested in coding and improving the core gameplay experience. I currently tackle a lot of movement and sound issues and tweaks. Afterwards, I am gonna try to implement SSAO, which TDM so desparately needs!! I have zero graphics coding experience, so we'll have to see how that goes, but I have been excited to learn it for quite some time. :-) 

• peter_spy and Abusimplea like this

#31 peter_spy

peter_spy

Uber member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2052 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 05:13 AM

I'm sure SSAO will look gorgeous, but I wonder how much strain it will put on the engine. I'm bit more curious about things like drawcall efficiency. I know it scales with newer CPUs, but only a bit, and it's not much in comparison to what modern engines offer. It's like 3000 vs 30 000.

#32 STiFU

STiFU

Uber member

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3579 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 07:30 AM

Optimizing draw calls is nice and all, but waaaaaaay beyond my capabilities.

SSAO is comparatively cheap because it is independent of scene complexity, so it doesn't add a lot of strain to the engine. And even if that slight performance hit is too bad for a player's rig, it is always an option to disable it, of course. It can furthermore be implemented in a nice an concise Fragment Shader, so I don't even have to mess around in the depths of the engine. :-) A nice little isolated task.

• peter_spy likes this

#33 Anderson

Anderson

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1192 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 06:57 AM

Lucid dreaming is indeed a cool feature. But alas, the head is a dark matter so nobody knows how it works to guarantee 100% reproduction of this. But games help.

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users