The Dark Mod Forums

Gaming affects your dreams

STiFU

So, last night, I had an (almost lucid) dream: I have been talking to a friend about developing TDM and the dream/conversation had an amazing outcome! :D

We were on a hike and talked about developing for TDM and how fun it can be at times. He asked me if I ever wanted to create an FM on my own and I answered "no". I told him the whole story of how I once worked for 9 months basically full-time on a TDS-FM and lost it all due to an hdd crash (@Judith maybe remembers). That happened more than a decade ago. I continued to say that it is a hugely time consuming undertaking which I simply cannot afford today. We continued the hike and I was to myself with my thoughts. Suddenly, I had a brilliant story idea for a small FM, perfect for a beginner mapper. I fleshed it all out in my head and told my friend about the idea who was equaliy excited as I was. Then I woke up, could still remember everything, and obviously put the whole story idea in ink. :rolleyes: So, who knows, maybe sometime in the future, you will see a nice and small, "Love & Cruelty"-themed FM from me. :blush:

Once again, gaming affects your dreams! B)

• Like 3

I told him the whole story of how I once worked for 9 months basically full-time on a TDS-FM and lost it all due to an hdd crash (@Judith maybe remembers).

I do, I had a similar problem while we were working on The Cabal campaign. I lost the source files, and my mission ended up in rather unpolished state. The intro / outro movies had to "hacked in" by Tiens somehow.

• Like 1

Keeping my fingers crossed for you making that FM, by the way :) I really wish I could have 9 months to work on a project full-time. Making models for TDM is super rewarding, but with every piece taking like 2 weeks in-between work, sleep and family time, the progress is really, really slow.

• Like 1

It definitely won't happen anytime soon, if at all, sorry. Right now I am way too interested in coding and improving the core gameplay experience. I currently tackle a lot of movement and sound issues and tweaks. Afterwards, I am gonna try to implement SSAO, which TDM so desparately needs!! I have zero graphics coding experience, so we'll have to see how that goes, but I have been excited to learn it for quite some time. :-)

• Like 2

I'm sure SSAO will look gorgeous, but I wonder how much strain it will put on the engine. I'm bit more curious about things like drawcall efficiency. I know it scales with newer CPUs, but only a bit, and it's not much in comparison to what modern engines offer. It's like 3000 vs 30 000.

Optimizing draw calls is nice and all, but waaaaaaay beyond my capabilities.

SSAO is comparatively cheap because it is independent of scene complexity, so it doesn't add a lot of strain to the engine. And even if that slight performance hit is too bad for a player's rig, it is always an option to disable it, of course. It can furthermore be implemented in a nice an concise Fragment Shader, so I don't even have to mess around in the depths of the engine. :-) A nice little isolated task.

• Like 1

Lucid dreaming is indeed a cool feature. But alas, the head is a dark matter so nobody knows how it works to guarantee 100% reproduction of this. But games help.

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson