• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Mr. Tibbs

Mr. Tibbs

• PipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 03:55 PM

POPULAR

Paul Neurath's new studio, Otherside Entertainment, is working on a spiritual successor to Ultima Underworld. They just started a Kickstarter campaign for Underworld Ascendant, and I would recommend all LGS fans check it out.

https://www.kickstar...world-ascendant

photo-1024x768.jpg?1422716799

• Tels, Melan, plasticman and 4 others like this

#2 Tels

Tels

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15024 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 04:58 AM

Somebody please tell them it's 21 decade and we need a Linux version :)

Edit: They promised one if they reach 750,000 $, so I took the plunge and pledge for this project. My first! Woohoo! :) End of edit.

It is cool to see the guys associated with Looking glas, tho. I still got a shrinkwrapped Underworld I on the shelf here :)

Edited by Tels, 06 February 2015 - 07:06 AM.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

#3 Noordung

Noordung

• PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 05:43 PM

wasnt arx fatalis also some sort of spiritual successor?

anyway it looks interesting.

it looks like we are coming in an era of mass founded spiritual successors B) and that is a good thing. because many good games never had real successors.

#4 Psychomorph

Psychomorph

• PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 01:55 AM

I think four of the team members are those who worked on Thief games. Tim Stellmach and Steve Pearsall are on board, which is kind of big deal. :D

• Mr. Tibbs likes this

#5 brethren

brethren

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 11:35 AM

Warren Spector and Austin Grossman are consulting too, bringing the Looking Glass ties to six.  This game should be very LGS like, and should be awesome.  

At a million bucks, they release a Builder Toolkit too, which I think any Thief or TDM fan can appreciate.  So don't be afraid to pledge up a bit.  I went in at the $50 mark, which gets you access to the alpha when it's available.

• Mr. Tibbs and Paralytik like this

#6 Melan

Melan

Contest Winner, Wordsmith

• Campaign Dev
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4434 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 12:06 PM

I reached deep into my pocket and pitched in with $100. This is the second game I supported with this kind of money after Grimoire. Looks like the best shot at creating a LGS successor company.

• Mr. Tibbs likes this
Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

#7 Tels

Tels

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15024 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 07:26 AM

I've pitched in 150 - and gave kickstarter all my personal info, from where it will be probably stolencopied in the next few months. But heh, it's an LGS successor, that's worth it for me :)

• Mr. Tibbs likes this
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

#8 Mr. Tibbs

Mr. Tibbs

• PipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 09:18 PM

I'm very happy to hear that Underworld Ascendant will feature Stephen Russell. Russell's performance as Garrett is probably my favorite game character ever. His perfect delivery always manages to make me chuckle!

https://www.kickstar...t/posts/1136796

56bc3ff0a339232fcaffaf2d950358e9_large.p

It’s our pleasure to announce that Stephen L. Russell will be doing voice acting for Underworld Ascendant. Among gamers, Stephen is perhaps best known as the voice of Garrett in the original Thief games. At LookingGlass we worked closely with Stephen, where he voiced some of the more memorable characters from Thief, Thief II and System Shock 2. Stephen also did voice acting for Fallout 3 and Skyrim. We’re looking forward to working with him once again.

Edited by Mr. Tibbs, 15 February 2015 - 09:18 PM.

#9 Psychomorph

Psychomorph

• PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 04:57 PM

I'm very happy to hear that Underworld Ascendant will feature Stephen Russell. Russell's performance as Garrett is probably my favorite game character ever. His perfect delivery always manages to make me chuckle!

So they do take community input seriously...

:D

#10 jtbalogh

jtbalogh

• PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 06:50 PM

Ya. This is great news.

#11 chakkman

chakkman

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 07:25 PM

So that's the face to the voice. First time i see him. :) And yeah, the man rocks. Will he play the Avatar?

#12 Mr. Tibbs

Mr. Tibbs

• PipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 08:28 PM

76% funded! https://twitter.com/...373826422349824

I was wondering how long it'd take me to extract the original Ultima Underworld level geometry. Answer: not long.

B9-3fQxCQAAz9T2.png

Underworld snagged Terri Brosius, too!

Edited by Mr. Tibbs, 17 February 2015 - 12:03 AM.

#13 brethren

brethren

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 12:17 AM

So that's the face to the voice. First time i see him. :)

A friend of mine on TTLG by the name of redface created this image years ago of Stephen Russell/Garrett, I always thought it was pretty cool:

stephen.jpg

Edited by brethren, 17 February 2015 - 12:17 AM.

• AluminumHaste, chakkman, Mr. Tibbs and 1 other like this

#14 Melan

Melan

Contest Winner, Wordsmith

• Campaign Dev
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4434 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 02:50 AM

Also, tickled to announce another superbly talented voice actor joining the Underworld Ascendant roster:

1d5c31c445d1f4f2b219d144c17f1f74_large.j

Terri Brosius was part of the team at LookingGlass, doing both design and voice acting on the Thief games and System Shock II. She is the voice of Shodan and Delacroix in the System Shock series, and the voice of Viktoria in the Thief series. She has also worked with Ion Storm, Electronic Arts, Tiger Style, and Arkane. Terri has writing credits on the Thief games, Dishonored, Waking Mars, and more. Terri also plays keys for The Vivs, teaches piano to unsuspecting youngsters, likes to crochet, and has an unreasonable fear of hornets. We are thrilled to be working with Terri again!

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

#15 Goldwell

Goldwell

Team Member

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2389 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 06:26 AM

That's fantastic news!

It really seems like they're getting a lot of the old crew back together which is incredible.

Also from their recent reddit Q&A I found this among everything

[–]K3m0sabe 5 points 12 days ago 
If the game is successful can we expect some re-imagining of other former Looking Glass titles like System Shock and Thief? Say yes... please.

[–]OtherSide_Ent [S] 5 points 12 days ago 
We've discussed other plans, but all of our focus is on Underworld now.

So it's entirely possible that their next project may be a Thief based one. Maybe in their funding they even include the cost to obtain a license from EM, or hell maybe they collaborate with EM and show it how it's all done!

Edited by Goldwell, 17 February 2015 - 06:26 AM.

The Accountant Trilogy
Part 1: Thieves and Heirs | Part 2: New In town

Shadows of Northdale Trilogy

ACT I

Stand Alone Missions
Lord Edgar's Bathhouse | Spring Cleaning

#16 brethren

brethren

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 11:04 AM

The current Kickstarter seems to be crawling to the finish, but I think they'll get there.  I wonder how a Thief Kickstarter would do - seems safe to say it would fare significantly better.

#17 Shadowhide

Shadowhide

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1282 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 01:12 PM

why aren't they doing Thief spiritual successor... :>(

Proceed with caution!

#18 chakkman

chakkman

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 01:22 PM

Good question actually. I'd think the target audience would be equally... erm... small. :) But then, they'd probably have to purchase the rights, right?

#19 Noordung

Noordung

• PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 01:46 PM

maybe because there is thief 4. and maybe spiritual successor in this case would not be so much success.

besides we have TDM :D and that is some kind of spiritual successor

Edited by Noordung, 17 February 2015 - 01:49 PM.

#20 brethren

brethren

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 01:47 PM

Wouldn't need the rights for a "spiritual" successor.  It would be something along the lines of TDM.

I'm guessing they're starting with Underworld because that's where their roots are.  It seems like a good possibility that if all goes well, Thief or System Shock (spiritual or otherwise) could be next.

Edited by brethren, 17 February 2015 - 01:48 PM.

#21 chakkman

chakkman

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 01:48 PM

maybe because there is thief 4. and maybe spiritual successor in this case would not be so much success.

besides we have TDM :D and that is spiritual sucessor

It's a great game, but sometimes i miss a real campaign. I know, there is one in the making, and i'm sure it'll be great, but imagine 18 missions in a really good successor. :) With a good story of course, like in the original Thief games.

@ brethren: That'd be great. There still seems to be a market for real stealth games, as Dishonored, Deus Ex Human Revolution and some others show. I'm sure they'd have to make it a bit casual though, to conform to the actual market.

Edited by chakkman, 17 February 2015 - 01:50 PM.

#22 Noordung

Noordung

• PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 01:58 PM

Is there a topic about this campaign WIP? Story or something?

#23 brethren

brethren

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 03:41 PM

@Noordung - here's the thread:  http://forums.thedar...r-the-dark-mod/

#24 SneakyLookingSort

SneakyLookingSort

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 02:00 PM

Personally I would like them to create something new rather than just a spiritual successor.

With Underworld Ascendant they can at least use all the lore and story from the previous Underworld games except the Ultima name thus making it a true sequel.

#25 brethren

brethren

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 05:26 PM

There's supposed to be a Thief class in the game - it'd be pretty cool if they made the game both a true sequel to Underworld and a spiritual sequel to Thief.  Light gem, anyone?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users