Photo

Story, Plot and Narrative Design Discussion Thread

story plot narrative plotting briefing mission design fan mission fan missions design

70 replies to this topic

#51 Springheel

Springheel

Creative Director (retired)

• Admin
  • 37779 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 05:50 PM

Yes, that's great. Does it fit the canon? Thank you very much.

Bridgeport doesn't have a baron. I suppose it might have once, but barons usually rule over territories, not individual cities. Also, why would a baron have a crown? Anyone with a crown is either a price, king, or emperor.

I'd recommend making him either a past emperor, a reknowned king that was conquered by the empire, or a king of Menoa. What purpose does the bust serve?
TDM Missions:   A Score to Settle   *   A Reputation to Uphold   *   A New Job   *    A Matter of Hours

Video Series:   Springheel's Modules   *   Speedbuild Challenge   *   New Mappers Workshop  *   Building Traps

#52 Baal

Baal

Hero Mapper

• Development Role
  • PipPipPip
  • 1046 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 06:11 PM

It is a piece of the private collection of someone and is not an integral part of the story. It can be anything, really. The crown can go if it's unfitting.

The bust is part of a sideobjective, so it needs to stand out a little. And a name that I can refer to in the objective text would be good. That's it for constraints.

#53 Springheel

Springheel

• Admin
  • 37779 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 06:27 PM

If it's not something that's going to be expanded upon in a readable, it would probably be best to keep it as an emperor.  That way no explanation is necessary.    I don't think any past Emperors have been named yet.  Any vaguely Romanic name would do.  Emperor Honorius III?

TDM Missions:   A Score to Settle   *   A Reputation to Uphold   *   A New Job   *    A Matter of Hours

Video Series:   Springheel's Modules   *   Speedbuild Challenge   *   New Mappers Workshop  *   Building Traps

#54 Baal

Baal

Hero Mapper

• Development Role
  • PipPipPip
  • 1046 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 06:43 PM

That would be fine too. Something more than just a name would be nice. But neither writing nor history are my strong suits.

@Moonbo Want to try again?

#55 Noordung

Noordung

• PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 06:47 PM

Bridgeport doesn't have a baron. I suppose it might have once, but barons usually rule over territories, not individual cities. Also, why would a baron have a crown? Anyone with a crown is either a price, king, or emperor.

I'd recommend making him either a past emperor, a reknowned king that was conquered by the empire, or a king of Menoa. What purpose does the bust serve?

Does the titles have to be the same as in real world? Could not baron be lower/higher title as in real world? Could we not use new titles for royal/church people?

Or are there titles in wiki article?

Edited by Noordung, 31 March 2015 - 06:48 PM.

#56 Moonbo

Moonbo

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1074 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 07:04 PM

@Baal, feel free to tweak what I wrote, I'm happy with it as-is.

But you should walk having internal dignity. Be a wonderful person who can dance pleasantly to the rhythm of the universe.
-Sun Myung Moon

My work blog: gfleisher.blogspot.com

#57 Baal

Baal

Hero Mapper

• Development Role
  • PipPipPip
  • 1046 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 07:09 PM

Ok, I'll just take of the crown and he's a baron.

#58 Springheel

Springheel

• Admin
  • 37779 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 07:37 PM

Does the titles have to be the same as in real world? Could not baron be lower/higher title as in real world? Could we not use new titles for royal/church people?

It doesn't have to be, but what would be the point of changing it?  The less consistent our setting is with what people are familiar with, the more exposition it takes to explain it, and we don't have really good means of doing that kind of thing.  That majority of people don't even read the information on wiki, and the stuff that's there just barely scratches the surface of what a mapper might want to know, as this thread demonstrates. 

#59 Melan

Melan

Contest Winner, Wordsmith

• Campaign Dev
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4453 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 02:18 AM

Also, why would a baron have a crown? Anyone with a crown is either a price, king, or emperor.

Why would some petty lord have a sceptre and keep it in a private throne room?

• Bikerdude, Obsttorte and Petike the Taffer like this
Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

#60 Noordung

Noordung

• PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 03:47 AM

It doesn't have to be, but what would be the point of changing it?  The less consistent our setting is with what people are familiar with, the more exposition it takes to explain it, and we don't have really good means of doing that kind of thing.  That majority of people don't even read the information on wiki, and the stuff that's there just barely scratches the surface of what a mapper might want to know, as this thread demonstrates. 

Good point.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baronbut baron is very low title. So if there are lords in Bridgeport there should be even more barons.

#61 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20320 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 06:12 AM

:D

#62 VanishedOne

VanishedOne

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1015 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 06:38 AM

In the real world there is such a thing as a baronial coronet, though whether a baron would be 'crowned' with it is another question.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coronet

Edited by VanishedOne, 01 April 2015 - 06:40 AM.

Some things I'm repeatedly thinking about...

- louder scream when you're dying

#63 Springheel

Springheel

• Admin
  • 37779 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 07:29 AM

A egotistical baron might make a crown for himself, but it's not likely his statue would have a crown, unless he commissioned it himself or something.  Anything is possible, but generally, if it quacks it should be a duck unless some exposition is provided to explain why it's not.

So if there are lords in Bridgeport there should be even more barons.

"The head of the city council is the Lord Mayor, who is elected by the council aldermen to serve a limited term. Beneath the Lord Mayor are Aldermen and Councillors who represent city wards.
Bridgeport is a Free Imperial City, meaning the Lord Mayor answers directly to the Emperor. In practice, the City Council wields a great deal of power."

In the real world there is such a thing as a baronial coronet, though whether a baron would be 'crowned' with it is another question.

That's just for coats of arms, isn't it?  Did they ever actually physically wear them?

#64 VanishedOne

VanishedOne

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1015 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 10:09 AM

That's just for coats of arms, isn't it?  Did they ever actually physically wear them?

In the British peerage they're part of the ceremonial dress for monarchs' coronations, so yes, albeit extremely rarely. You can see peers in coronation dress in this image: http://en.wikipedia....en_Victoria.PNG

I don't know about other peerages, offhand. Edit: also, coronets may formerly have been worn at investiture: http://www.reocities...ox/coronets.htmsays, 'Investiture, or Coronation Robes, and their coronets, have only been worn at Coronations since the formal investiture was replaced by the informal practice of introducing peers in 1621.'

Edited by VanishedOne, 01 April 2015 - 10:16 AM.

Some things I'm repeatedly thinking about...

- louder scream when you're dying

#65 Obsttorte

Obsttorte

Scripting guru, Mapper

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5823 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 04:51 PM

Reminds me of the proverb with the nail and the head :D Very good.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild
WIP's: Several. Although after playing Thief 4 I really wanna make a city mission.
Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches
Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models
My wiki articles: Obstipedia
Let's Map TDM YouTube playlist: ObstlerTube
Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

End of shameless self promotion.

#66 Petike the Taffer

Petike the Taffer

• PipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 04:21 PM

If I am not too late, I propose naming the fellow represented by the bust as "Imperator Athanasius II. (741-792), great reformer of The Empire".

Alternatively, some shorter version, like Athanasus.

#67 Noordung

Noordung

• PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 04:37 PM

Athanasus II. Emperor of whole civilized world first hammer of empire builders church... I think he need at least 3 more titles.

#68 Baal

Baal

Hero Mapper

• Development Role
  • PipPipPip
  • 1046 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 04:43 PM

Thanks, I already went with Moonbo's suggestion. Can someone else put this name on a bust and build a mission around it?

• Springheel likes this

#69 Deadlove

Deadlove

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 10:58 PM

It's most likely outside the range of most mission authors, but the player having voice over triggers at different spots are what furthered the story a lot in this other game that I like a lot called Thief, they had a dedicated voice actor that did voice overs during gameplay and it was one a highlight of the game. Maybe if the mission author can post to ask someone for help doing voice over work and be able to give someone a script to read off of. I know Goldwell does good voice overs for this kind of thing.

Plastik Musik - Andrew Nathan Kite, Owner

plastikmusik33@gmail.com

http://www.facebook.com/plastikmusik /

http://www.youtube.com/plastikmusik

http://www.plastikmusik.bandcamp.com

#70 Petike the Taffer

Petike the Taffer

• PipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 05:42 AM

I've been thinking about triggered voice overs a bit too, as I'd like to incorporate some into my own FM. The story won't work without the two main characters exchanging some banter, so I'll need to figure it out.

#71 Petike the Taffer

Petike the Taffer

• PipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 01 August 2015 - 08:13 AM

Demagogue's Story and Plot design article on the wiki has already been recommended here, but reading through the various tutorials on the wiki, I think sotha's Mission Design Tips article is also worthy of a mention. It focuses on the non-technical, but still gameplay-related challenges of designing a mission. Naturally, this also relates to how the basics of the mission are plotted out and how the objectives of a mission are presented to a player. I especially like the "always bet on stupidity" remark aimed at overly vague or overly complicated puzzle/secret design. :smile:

• SteveL likes this

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: story, plot, narrative, plotting, briefing, mission design, fan mission, fan missions, design

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users