The Dark Mod Forums

Assassination Missions (not part of planned campaign)

Cambridge Spy

I'm having a change of plan. Since I'm still checking out the features of DarkRadiant, I'll make a short mission set entirely indoors which is not part of my planned campaign but can be considered a prelude.

It'll take place in an inn, where your objective is to assassinate a Moorish slave trader - and rob fellow patrons and staff blind while you're at it. I am, however, still thinking of adding highly sensitive AI (ie. everyone alerted when they see a single item missing, rushing towards open doors, etc.), plenty of conversations and extra NPCs on higher difficulties.

What do you guys think?

Also, another assassination mission I've been thinking about (also entirely indoors) is to navigate a sewer complex and find a way to subdue (not kill) a necrophiliac werebeast so the City Watch can put him in the same prison which will be explored in the main campaign (I'm thinking of adding an optional objective involving assassinating the werebeast in that mission). But it'll be a while still, and I think they're still making a proper werebeast model. I take it werebeasts cannot be simply rendered unconscious with a gas arrow or blackjack?

• Like 1

"Let me guess - little blue men with three heads stole your sweetroll?"

Assassination missions are cool, because they involves a crescendo of the murder and blood/body management.

I would pay extra attention to the sensitivity of the AI in your mission. If every single item missing makes people go nuts or that the AI reacts to every door, it may result in frustrating gameplay moments. Too much is too much; it is like a salt that must be used sparingly.

Identify critical, obvious items and doors and have only them to have the suspicion spawnargs.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

iirc the model itself was done, but needs rigging and animation.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Identify critical, obvious items and doors and have only them to have the suspicion spawnargs.

And find a way to communicate this to the player.

If I recall correctly, the werebeast model has not been worked in a long time - so unless someone takes on that responsibility - you might want to rethink the story of your second proposed mission.

It will still be a while before I even consider laying the foundations for the second one, and I think by the time I do, chances are the werebeast would be completed long before.

I would pay extra attention to the sensitivity of the AI in your mission. If every single item missing makes people go nuts or that the AI reacts to every door, it may result in frustrating gameplay moments. Too much is too much; it is like a salt that must be used sparingly.

Remember AI behaviour in the first William Steele mission (many people go to bed after a while and guards change shifts)? It'll be kind of the same thing with my potential missions. Expect NPCs to either go somewhere else or off to bed after a conversation quite a lot.

Regarding your first suggestion

Having recently had problems beta testing a mission where stealing loot caused a major search can I suggest that you include some areas which are dark enough to allow hiding until things settle down.

This is on 2.03 where the search patterns of the guards can be too effective at times

Edited by Oldjim

It'll take place in an inn, where your objective is to assassinate a Moorish slave trader - and rob fellow patrons and staff blind while you're at it.

You might want to try out my small FM called "Sneak & Destroy" if you haven't already. I did exactly the same thing (just without the Moorish Slave Trader but someone else to shoot at) ;)

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

You might want to try out my small FM called "Sneak & Destroy" if you haven't already. I did exactly the same thing (just without the Moorish Slave Trader but someone else to shoot at) ;)

Yes, but it will be different to Sneak & Destroy. Although Sneak & Destroy had the player character talk at certain points, there were no scripted conversations whatsoever.

• 2 weeks later...

Can someone please tell me what the strengths and weaknesses of werebeasts in TDM will be? Will they be able to be subdued non-lethally with blackjack or gas arrow?

I don't know... I've not heard that anyone's working on it, so best not count on it being completed. I think it's been stalled at least since 2.00 (getting on for 18 months).

It needs someone to take on the job of rigging and animating it, which are challenging tasks that no one has volunteered for.

Spring was the one who tried to get it in game, so I'm sure his conclusion is that the whole rig and animation has to be redone in a way that is compatible with TDM's engine. I remember feeling terrible when my zombie model was lost because of a technical problem, but now I don't feel bad at all, it would surely meet the same fate.

@Springheel: What's exactly the issue with the werebeast? Maybe I can try my luck.

I think if you do the rigging with 3ds max then ingame the coordinates of the bones are completely messed up / inverted. I tried that once with my female officer head and we weren't able to get it right after weeks.

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

So you export it to md5mesh from 3ds max? Maybe the exporter is screwed up. Is it possible to export it to a format that lightwave understands and export it to md5 from there? Maybe this would work.

I forget exactly what the problem was...I remember the werebeast sinking into the ground and causing crashes. I'll have to dig up the thread.

Edit: http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/14066-needed-for-standalone-animated-werebeast/page-4?hl=werebeast