The Dark Mod Forums

Are gamers in general not as interested in TV/Movies as most people are?

lost_soul

This may be too much of a diversion but it relates to why I try to minimize these sort activities: When I was young I probably spent 90% of my free time just "consuming" in the aforementioned sort of way. At that time (and I can't tell you how insane this sounds to the "me of now"), it really didn't occur to me that engaging one's mind could be so much more rewarding and fulfilling, especially when "instant gratification" was always within reach. The people in my life never encouraged me to behave any differently, and in fact a great many of them discouraged me (sometimes implicitly with e.g. their visible discomfort and distance, and sometimes explicitly by criticizing me). To say the least, this may seem odd, but it can be common in more rural, less culturally diverse areas beset by deep-set insecurities, ignorance, and conservative culture. In combination with the anti-intellectualism and (in at least some senses) "hedonism" omnipresent in American culture, the result is you have these backwater places that are unknowingly stuck in their own "mini dark ages."

Your whole post was very well-thought, but this part stood out for me. It´s a shame taht most people consume and don´t engage. I do believe that a lot of gamers still only consume even though they feel like they engage. Imo the game is designed to engage with, but you´re still just ´consuming´ this function most of the time...

Well, that depends on how you define "consume" and "engage". I believe most people here define "engage" as a "you have to think and react for yourself" and consume as "you get everything presented to you and don't have to do anything yourself". Still, it is not quite clear. There are games (especially easy ones), where you could say, you only consume, because the difficulty is so low hat you only run through it and consume the story. On the other hand, there are TV shows (e.g. quiz shows), where you can think actively during the program and so engage in a way.

Hi. Well about the topic it self "Are gamers in general not as interested in TV/Movies as most people are?"

I have to say that as database programmer, and means that i do look to a monitor computer 8 hours a day 5 days a week, and thats when i dont bring work to home. As a gamer..., when i came home, i go first to the games...on PC of course. But i dont think that is something i recommend to anyone. I like to see the news report and movies but have a trend to put the headphones and connect to the cable provider site and see everyting from computer, well and that is bad to your health.

So as a Gamer ( and online Games) , and a youtube addict, i have to say that im not interested so much on TV, but the reason is that i can see it all from my computer. And because I'm in forty now, no children so far...And lets face it..all news report are so bad and manipulated theres no reason to see TV at all. But as i said to many hours on a computer or consoles its really not very healthy.

I spend a lot more time PC gaming than watching TV, when I do watch TV it's mainly documentaries, if I do watch a movie and can't get into it quite quickly then I'm gone.

If I hear about a new series and it's getting good reviews I will watch an episode and if I like it I will buy the box set if it's available or wait and buy it, why, because watching one episode a week drives me nuts, watching a few episodes together is so much better for continuity, especially when trying to follow a complicated plot, because I really want to know and understand everything that happens and why, who, etc, something that can be difficult one episode a week.

As I didn't watch many movies I had no need for a BR player but then I watched an episode of Game of Thrones and loved it, I bought the box set and a BR player and since then I've bought a few box sets, mainly of series that I tried to watch but missed some episodes and literally, lost the plot and gave up, box sets i recently I bought, LEXX, Heroes, Fringe, a series like Fringe really needs to be watched a few episodes at a time just to keep up, if I do miss a program on TV there is always online catch up TV channels.

Any Fringe fans?

Edited by Eyeshine