The Dark Mod Forums

Dying Light open world stealth

Fidcal

I'm stuck and losing endless points dying over and over. The problem is climbing the tower to contact GRE after or maybe near the end of) the clinic quest.

I grapple-hooked to the top and got the flag first time but getting down to the place below I can't do.

I've Googled and it seems lots of players are also puzzled how to generally climb down anywhere. Yes, normally you can jump down, use a cable, or a ladder. But if there is no such option then there is no obvious way to lower yourself down. Yes, if you are already hanging by your fingers then you can release, drop, and grab, but what if you are standing on a roof or ledge?

The roof of tower is one of those coppery-bronzy-sloping-metal roofs. On top of that is a metal pagoda with the flag. But the place to make the call is below that.

So, I practised this on a similar roof that is very low (there's one on the way from the safe zone to which you get sent every time you fall and die from the tower.)

I walk to the edge, turn my back to the edge, look up at an angle (as if climbing up) then inch backwards. As you drop off the edge then hit the grab button and pray. I get it 9 times out of 10 on the test roof.

So, back to the big tower. No such luck. I've no idea if there is even anything to grab because you can't lean over and look.

Now, I've see it done in a vid but there was no commentary. The player didn't turn his back but edged forward to the roof edge (maybe at a bit of angle) then, looking down, he did something but of course, with no commentary, I've no idea what controls were used. All you see is a couple of frames flash by then he's inside the lower part. How?

You dont climb down from that tower (if its the one I think it is), you Zipline down. But climbing down things, yeah its possible but I would have to fire up DL to remember how to do it.

I have completed the game so I can co-op with you and help you get past the part your having a problem with

No, my question is how to get down from the very top (where the flag is) down to just below the top where he calls GRE. I think I see zip lines from both back down to the city.

Yeah just look up at the line and press what ever button is use, on the PC I had space setup for that.

No, you're still not reading my question properly. The ziplines go down to the city. I don't want to go down to the city. I want to lower myself from the very top flag position down to the floor just below (but still near the top of the tower) where the radio call is made. Imagine a twenty-story building and I'm on 20 and want to get down to 19.

Did you ever get the flag there?

Was there not a ladder up to there? If so you should be able to move around and get a dialogue to descend the ladder. If not you just have to jump down on things the way you came up! (sometimes taking some damage) Hair raising! OR...even more fun... you can jump down to a zipline and in mid-air, time it right and hit your space bar (default) to grab the zip line as you pass. I've successfully done this and its a total rush but the penalty for messing up is death. On the bright side, you'll be down off the tower :P

Edited by Lux

You can't jump down on things there - that's what I'm saying.

I'm not sure there's any point in me repeating again that I don't want to descend to the city yet? :rolleyes: I want to descend to the place where you use the radio.

I will check again for a ladder though, but I never saw one before and the vid I watched was night time and there was no ladder that I could see. I mean, it makes sense that there ought to be a ladder so I will have another look for that. Sometimes the 'frob' message has a very tiny window and you have to be precise.

No, you're still not reading my question properly. The ziplines go down to the city. I don't want to go down to the city. I want to lower myself from the very top flag position down to the floor just below (but still near the top of the tower) where the radio call is made. Imagine a twenty-story building and I'm on 20 and want to get down to 19.

Got a screen shot of that location and I will see if I can climb down and record a vid of me doing it.

Okay, thank - but I've now cracked it! I had a brainwave. What if you can fire the grappling hook while you are falling? You can! First time I tried I failed because I was looking up slightly. Second time too. Then I tried looking down slightly. So, step backwards off the roof then, as you drop, fire the hook into the room as fall by.

Once I was in there I can see another possibility. I had always dropped near the centre of any side because I visualised the entry as a window. Certainly I didn't expect to be able to climb in at the corners where there are stout masonry columns. But in the 'room' you can see there are tiny ledge around the corners! So the upper roof overlaps the centres of the sides (which is why grabbing as you fall by was a waste of time) but if I'd dropped off near a corner maybe I could have grabbed. It also suggests that is the way to climb up directly with or without the grappling hook.

Thanks for trying to help anyway.

One other thing, during my previous attempts I once fell right from the top but didn't die - I landed on one of those triple cable things that cross the streets. I didn't realise they absorb falls!

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I was pimping this game over on TTLG, and I'll do the same here. This is the most fun I've had with any game this year, I think. Great open world, rooftop running, cool day/night cycle, and the melee combat is a blast. A lot of content too, over 100 side missions. Fun crafting. There's a large expansion coming out soon too, which moves the gameplay out into the countryside, with dune buggies.

While there doesn't seem to be any stealth systems per se, you can definitely play more of a pacifist role, and use the rooftops and parkour systems to get around without confronting any zombies. A challenge for sure, but it's possible. You can also use traps and the environment to fend off the bad guys. Great game, wish I had discovered it sooner.

• 4 months later...