The Dark Mod Forums

Bug: Seeing someone die by arrow is not considered suspicious by the objective system

Sotha

I found a strange bug.

In a test map, I put 2 AI: "boy" and "girl." Both are on team 5. The AI see each other in a brighly-lit room.

I have two objectives:
*Alert entity Boy 1 times to minimum alert level of 1
*Alert entity Girl 1 times to minimum alert level of 1

*If I make a noise (in the test map, just hit the barrel with your sword), both the AI hear me and both of the objectives will check off like they should.
*If I bash the other AI dead with my sword, the surviving AI objective will check off like it should.
*If I shoot either of the AI dead with an arrow, the surviving AI will NOT check of the objective, even while they see the other die because of an arrow striking them. The AI WILL be alerted, they pull out their sword and search, but the OBJECTIVE of their alertness will not check off.

This happens every time the AI dies because of an arrow.

http://bugs.thedarkmod.com/view.php?id=4101

EDIT: Addenum. If I shoot an arrow between the AI, both AI will scream for help and move around, but the AI is alerted objective is not checked.

EDIT2: changing the AI to team 2 does not change the problem, so it is not related to team 5.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Did you set the objectives to player responsible and / or irreversible?

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Did you set the objectives to player responsible and / or irreversible?

The objectives are MANDATORY and VISIBLE. No other checkboxes are marked.

I don't see how it matters. The system is clearly working inconsistently. If the AI is alarmed, objectives dealing with their alarmness should tick off, right?

Clipper

Well, it would have been possible that the code differentiates between close combat and ranged kills if the objective is player responsible, because if the kill was performed with the bow, the ai may sees the other die, but doesn't see (and can threfore not "know"), that it was the player who killed his fellow.

However, this is obviously not the case here so something else is the problem. What I wonder is what else the objective system could check beneath the alert state, which is what it actually asks for, and which should be satisfied as the ai starts searching as you've said.

Very odd.

I've added some comments after looking at it. The oddities are not restricted to the objective system, but there are differences in behaviour in other regards, too. See bugtracker for details.

So I guess it is not the objective system that is broken, but something is messed up with the ai.

I've added some comments after looking at it. The oddities are not restricted to the objective system, but there are differences in behaviour in other regards, too. See bugtracker for details.

So I guess it is not the objective system that is broken, but something is messed up with the ai.

Thanks for the additions. This really seems to quite messed up! :blink:

Clipper

Not all those results on the tracker are messed up or wrong...

The player is not "responsible" for sounds made by projectiles or thrown objects. That's by design, so that players can use distractions without hurting their stealth score. The player *is* responsible for sounds made with his or her body, or sword. Those rules make sense in the world too... Even if the player is unseen in all cases, a sound at the player's location alerts the AI to the fact that there's an intruder in a specific spot. A sounds made by an arrow or a thrown bottle just alerts them to the possibility that's something's wrong.

The symptoms sounds like one or both of these causes:

The objective alert level 1 check is being skipped if the AI goes straight from alert zero to alert two or above.

The player is not being held responsible for alerts caused by deaths caused by projectiles.

1. The objective alert level 1 check is being skipped if the AI goes straight from alert zero to alert two or above.
  2. The player is not being held responsible for alerts caused by deaths caused by projectiles.
  1. The objective says "minimum alert level". And it goes straight from zero to four in both situations, sword kill and broadhead kill (and rope arrow kill :) )
  2. due to this there is a flag "player responsible" for objectives, to ensure it is only checked if the player is the origin of the change. however, in this case player-responsible is NOT set, so the objective system shouldn't differentiate between sword and broadhead

In addition, ai not reacting to projectile impact sounds properly (in this scenario they bark, but the alert level stays at zero), is definetely something that needs fixing (aside the objectives issue).