The Dark Mod Forums

Unity3d 5

Diego

Holy crap! I'm not going to deny my fanboyism here. In previous unity versions every cool feature, like real time shadows, for example, were exclusive to the professional licence. Now the professional license has things that are of interest to professionals only and no engine feature exclusive any more. What you see in the video is available on the free version. Lots of neat stuff like real time GI, render to texture, physics based shader etc.

I'm excited. I think I'm gonna start dusting off my old stealth project again. It got shelved after I couldn't find a suitable solution with the free version.

• Like 1

I'm seeing too much turmoil in the professional engine market now, and this is not good for the indie engines in the market, for example the developer of the C4 engine has made a reply that indicated that perhaps some legal action will be made against this (is illegal in America he said) and the esenthel engine maker has said that the license will not suffer any change because is the principal income he has.

Btw i used to like Unity3D till i found out that any game made with it does not support modding, this is a very important aspect of gaming for me, don't know if U5 changed that but i doubt and about the video i'm not liking all that bling and shiny stuff, the lighting also looks to much pronounced and with extreme bloom, but this is my opinion others will surely disagree and that's fine.

Edited by HMart

I'm seeing too much turmoil in the professional engine market know, and this is not good for the indie engines in the market, for example the developer of the C4 engine has made a reply that indicated that perhaps some legal action will be made against this (is illegal in America he said) and the esenthel engine maker has said that the license will not suffer any change because is the principal income he has.

Good grief, really? Legal action against what exactly? Good engines for free? Markets evolve, and this is always met with resistance from the providers that refuse to adapt. Just look at the music industry in the 90's, labels fought to the death against digital distribution.

Btw i used to like Unity3D till i found out that any game made with it does not support modding, this is a very important aspect of gaming for me, don't know if U5 changed that but i doubt and about the video i'm not liking all that bling and shiny stuff, the lighting also looks to much pronounced and with extreme bloom, but this is my opinion others will surely disagree and that's fine.

I don't know where you heard that but I'm pretty sure it's not true. Kerbal Space Program is made in Unity and it is famous for its mods.

Good grief, really? Legal action against what exactly? Good engines for free? Markets evolve, and this is always met with resistance from the providers that refuse to adapt. Just look at the music industry in the 90's, labels fought to the death against digital distribution.

I don't know where you heard that but I'm pretty sure it's not true. Kerbal Space Program is made in Unity and it is famous for its mods.

If is really illegal he has a case do we like it or not, and because of this his engine market is in serious danger.

About Unity3D mods i heard this from the Interstellar Marines developers, and by using the Unity Free my self (is not impossible to make a Unity game moddable but is very expensive and hard, why do you ask, because of this reasons:

Making a game in Unity is not like making a game with idtech 4 or UE or any other similar engine, on this engines the tools are separated from it, so you can release your game without releasing the tools if you want (even tho idtech4 has the tools incorporated into the engine they are a separate system), on the other end Unity tools ARE the engine, one can not live without the other, on Unity you don't have access to the engine source everything is made using script language, is like making TDM using no c++ but only using idtech script language, then that code is transformed in the background and at export time, into optimized code for the platforms you are exporting to, all your games assets are compiled into binary optimized code, so contrary to idtech you don't have access to the source materials, like the models and the textures.

Is possible (like i said above) to make a Unity3D game moddable, but you would need to make the tools your self (very expensive so almost no one does it), or require your fans to have the full Unity Engine installed on their PC, if you used the Pro version, then your users would need to buy the Pro engine to mod your game!! (or use a cracked version), and you also need to release your FULL project source code to the public, so they can compile their mods.

Edited by HMart

You have a good point. Making your unity game moddable is hard, it requires you to make your own API. But this is part of why I like Unity, it's my personal sweet spot between using a game maker and making my own engine.

Because the C4 engine is being developed by one guy and it's his main source of income?

You can call me Phi, Numbers, Digits, Ratio, 16, 1618, or whatever really, as long as it's not Phil.

Maybe he's trying to say it violates antitrust laws. The idea is a company isn't supposed to use its market power to undersell competition until it all goes bankrupt (i.e., dumping), with an intention to corner & monopolize the market.

It's a tough case though. You'd have to show the intent & effect is to really kill off all competition, and that it's using its market power unfairly (it can't be just because they make a better engine). Of course it'd be bad if alt engines couldn't make money so there were no choices, but e.g. I don't see Unity going under, and as long as some survive it's hard to argue anticompetitive.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

I don't know if that's the case he's trying to make. It's not what's happening though, because it's not just unity. Years ago I noticed that game making tools were becoming increasingly better and more accessible. Today the trend is pretty obvious, we have unity 5 and udk hitting the news but outside of it there's a shitload of slightly older engines going open source as well. It's unfortunate that some companies don't survive as the market evolves, but it happens.

Nice to see they put down those silly restrictions. Do you know if the ai mesh is free now too? (where you can setup an ai grid easily to make things move around / follow you automaticly)

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

I don't know. There was nothing keeping me from finishing that. The only project I have that was impractical with the free version is the stealth game, so I'm thinking about doing some work on that. But it's too unrealistically ambitious too, so it'll probably be a very casual work just to entertain myself.

Nah, don't say that! You're a true master of Unity Knowledge so you can and will do some awesome stealth game there! Even if it's in alpha, be sure to let us folks check it out! :)

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager